19 or 22" monitor for video editing?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by gvdv, Sep 25, 2007.

1. gvdv macrumors regular

Hi,
    I've just bought a Mac Pro (not the Mac Book Pro - god knows why people always confuse the two) 2.66 for audio creation (recording), and video editing.

I didn't buy a monitor with it, and am willing to economize in this area for now.
    I'm after something that has a good contrast ratio (most of hte monitors I'm looking at seem to only be 600 or 700:1), and has at least a single DVI.

I hear that the Samsung Syncmasters are good but their contrast ratio seems very low (around 600 or 700:1). I found a Sceptre 22" which has great specs, but I hear that it might not be that hardy, despite good reviews about its performance (it's got a 2ms access/screen draw time and 2000:1 contrast ratio).

Does anyone have any recommendations in the 19" - 22" monitor range that come in at about $400 U.S. inc. tax?

Thanks,
    GVDV

2. ChrisA macrumors G4

What software are you using? FCP needs a LOT of screen space for all those controls. Is color fidelity important? Do you plan to do much color correction? Why do you want such high contrast ratios? Does you camera record 1000:1?

3. marioman38 macrumors 6502a

marioman38

4. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

why wouldn't you want 1080p resolution, or better?

if i were you, i'd be looking at 23" monitors or bigger

5. supersize macrumors member

I am actually looking to sell a Dell 24" (2405fwp) It is a great monitor I have been using with my G5 that finally kicked the bucket and need sell it to get a new iMac. I was hoping to get $450 out of it + shipping. It is in great condition and all the extra USB ports, and built in card reader come in extremely handy. It's officially going on ebay this weekend.
    PM me if interested

6. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Go for 22 at the min, the bigger the better really, the higher resolution you can view media on the timeline the better.

7. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

i agree. at least get one with 1080p resolution