1920*1200 and resolution independence

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by derPart, Mar 10, 2008.

1. derPart macrumors newbie

I tried to change the global UI dpi with XQuartz debugger with horrible results , any suggestion?
    I have the feeling to use a Windows laptop with the super small text and icons!
    Apple should have fixed the trumpeted resolution independence feature of Leopard (at least for Apple apps) before the introduction of the hi dpi display ...

2. whateverandever macrumors 6502a

This whole resolution independence thing has been brought up time and time again in the 15" MBP 1920x1200 discussion. Resolution independence is scaling of fonts, images, and UI controls. Leopard scales fonts and UI controls and encourages the use of SVG, but it relies on people actually using SVG in their 3rd party solutions to work.

Websites won't be truly resolution independent for quite some time as SVG is just making it into WebKit now.

And Apple has yet to introduce "hi dpi" displays. The 1920x1200 17" display is as high dpi as they come, and it comes as an option. People that buy that display want more screen real estate, not scaled up graphics.

When high dpi screens become cheaper, that's when resolution independence will actually matter.

3. shreddy macrumors regular

How about using TinkerTool to reduce the font sizes?

4. smparkes macrumors newbie

So, does this thread dying out mean there's no way to set the display resolution (as in dpi) for X to something reasonable? A 1920 mbp is a lot closer to 133 dpi than it is to 75.

On Linux boxes and even PC X servers, I can set it in a server config somewhere.

I use Xft so my fonts are all spec'd as point sizes and are scaled, which actually does the right thing ... unless. like on the mbp, the server's idea of the resolution/dpi is wrong.