Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

CBS CEO Les Moonves says the network is still in negotiations with Apple over its inclusion in Apple's upcoming streaming television service, reports Bloomberg. In an interview with Bloomberg TV this morning, Moonves said CBS has had conversations with Apple and will "probably" ink a deal with the Cupertino company.
"Apple is having conversations with everyone about doing their own streaming services," Moonves said in an interview Wednesday on Bloomberg TV. "We have had those conversations, as have the other networks. Do I think something will happen? Probably, but I do not know when."
Moonves made similar comments five months ago at Re/code's Code Conference, saying CBS would "probably" sign a deal with Apple for its rumored streaming television service. "We're very excited about it," he said, and at that time, he confirmed he had met with Eddy Cue to discuss the plans as part of an "ongoing conversation."

les_moonves_bloomberg.jpg

Given the similarity between the statement given in May and what Moonves had to say today, there is little evidence of any progress in the talks between Apple and content owners, but it's clear there is still interest in reaching a deal.

Apple's web-based television service was initially rumored to be launching in 2015, perhaps alongside the new Apple TV, but a continued failure to secure all of the necessary deals has reportedly delayed its debut until 2016. Apple is said to be having trouble with content negotiations, with pricing being a sticking point.

Apple's plan is to offer a selection of popular television channels at a price of $30 to $40 per month, a price tag that undercuts most cable television services. While Apple's streaming television service is still in the works with a launch date unknown, the company's new set-top box will be launching at the end of the month.

The new Apple TV is already in developer hands and will be available to the general public in late October. The device includes a full App Store, universal search, deep Siri integration, and a touch-based remote for navigating the interface and playing games.

Article Link: CBS CEO Again Says Network Will 'Probably' Reach Streaming TV Deal With Apple

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
I refuse to pay for channels that are available free OTA.

Latest census data show that over 80% of the US population lives in urban areas, so all these folks are likely well within range of a accessing an OTA tower using a cheap indoor antenna.

For the other less than 20%, I guess it might make sense to pay for streaming CBS.

duncanapple

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2008
Exactly. Why the heck would I pay for free network stations unless I was in a seriously rural area (that may not have decent enough internet to support streaming anyway)?

Also, in my mind, even $30-40 a month for TV is absurd. Not to mention those channels are all laced with commercials; why is the subscription price justified? Is that even that good of a price relative to the legacy providers, after factoring in the cost of internet as well?

Above all else, I may be in the minority, but TV is a massive waste of time. 100s of channels to waste away your days staring at a TV. I watch about an hour a day when we wind down for the night and I already think that's too much.

Latest census data show that over 80% of the US population lives in urban areas, so all these folks are likely well within range of a accessing an OTA tower using a cheap indoor antenna.

For the other less than 20%, I guess it might make sense to pay for streaming CBS.

topgunn

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2004
Houston

Do you have an OTA DVR device that you are using? I would love to cut paid TV however I don't want to be tied to a particular date and time to watch a show I like.

Reactions: attila and chrisbru

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013

But the free OTA CBS channel does not come with on demand content. I would understand if they were offering only what you can access OTA. But there is more content available that you may not be able to access elsewhere.

For cord cutters and cord nevers, I do hope Tablo creates an ATV app.

Reactions: Gasu E.

Mtmspa

Suspended
May 13, 2013
Exactly. Why the heck would I pay for free network stations unless I was in a seriously rural area (that may not have decent enough internet to support streaming anyway)?

Also, in my mind, even $30-40 a month for TV is absurd. Not to mention those channels are all laced with commercials; why is the subscription price justified? Is that even that good of a price relative to the legacy providers, after factoring in the cost of internet as well?

Above all else, I may be in the minority, but TV is a massive waste of time. 100s of channels to waste away your days staring at a TV. I watch about an hour a day when we wind down for the night and I already think that's too much.

I would cut the cord if Apple delivers all the espn channels and fix sport channels for under $40 a month. 75 percent of directv is crap.

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
Do you have an OTA DVR device that you are using? I would love to cut paid TV however I don't want to be tied to a particular date and time to watch a show I like.

There are multiple OTA DVR devices available right now. From networked to stand alone.

Reactions: Ballis

itguy06

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2006

I plan to cut the cord when my current contract with Verizon Fios expires next year. Looking at the Tablio DVR or one of the dirt cheap units from Amazon where you supply the HD and it does the recording.

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
Remember when Verizon turned down Apple for the exclusive rights to the iPhone and then AT&T went on to make billions because they took the deal?

lederermc

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2014
Seattle
But the free OTA CBS channel does not come with on demand content. I would understand if they were offering only what you can access OTA. But there is more content available that you may not be able to access elsewhere.

I read somewhere that Tablo would make an app for the new ATV that has a SDK.

Hustler1337

macrumors 68000
Dec 23, 2010
London, UK

Kinda off-topic, but do American cable TV providers provide 100s of channels, most of which are just duplicated channels? In the UK, Sky, the biggest satellite TV provider rip us off with 100s of channels about at least 30% of which are just a duplicated channels. For instance, we would have National Geographic HD, National Geographic +1 and National Geographic in SD all showing the same content (and mostly trash for that matter). Not only that, we have to pay an extra premium for HD channels, something that we shouldn't be doing in 2015. Cable companies are nothing but crooks.

Sorry about the rant.

lederermc

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2014
Seattle
Kinda off-topic, but do American cable TV providers provide 100s of channels, most of which are just duplicated channels? In the UK, Sky, the biggest satellite TV provider rip us off with 100s of channels about at least 30% of which are just a duplicated channels. For instance, we would have National Geographic HD, National Geographic +1 and National Geographic in SD all showing the same content (and mostly trash for that matter). Not only that, we have to pay an extra premium for HD channels, something that we shouldn't be doing in 2015. Cable companies are nothing but crooks.

Sorry about the rant.
Mostly yes.

bdkennedy1

Suspended
Oct 24, 2002
I think Apple could have handled the redesign better. Why no tuner for local stations?

Reactions: eroyce and NikeSG

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011

I don't right now, but I plan to buy a Tablo when they release an app for the AppleTV. Those two devices working together should make for a pretty good app-based DVR system.

Yes! Tablo will, it said so in a blog post last month. As for on-demand, it never has anything that isn't also aired OTA at some point. If I can record it and keep it, it's really barely any different from ondemand.

npmacuser5

macrumors 68000
Apr 10, 2015

I would suspect the Apple service will closely mirror Hulu Plus with some added benefits.

pilotpat

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2015
Nebraska, USA

Let me preface this by saying that I hate the commercials too. That being said, you are paying the 30 to 40 a month for the service provider (Apple, SlingTV, Playstation VUE) to bring you the content. The commercials in the content aren't put there by the service provider, they are put there by the channel you are watching. Are the service providers supposed to do their part for free? I've never understood this logic.

macs4nw

macrumors 601
I want this to happen so bad and cut ties with cable. I mean I know I will still have internet with them but seriously if apple provided a 30 dollar a month thing that would be awesome. Cut my bill by over 100 bucks.
Unfortunately, for now we still need them for hi-speed internet access. If or when we all desert them for our content needs, I suspect they'll try to recoup those losses thru increased bandwidth charges.

NMBob

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2007
New Mexico
I think Apple could have handled the redesign better. Why no tuner for local stations?

There will only be Internet and RF shielding inside the New Doughnut, so pretty soon Apple will have NO idea what you are even talking about. They're not very good at imagining the real world.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.