193.6MB of OTHER

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by insocal, Jan 15, 2008.

1. insocal macrumors regular

I just RESTORED and INSTALLED 1.1.3
    I had a JB iPhone but was fine with giving in to the Update.
    For some reason, I now have 193.6MB of OTHER. Any idea what this could be?
    Oddly enough, I still have the APP that Erica Sadun created at tuaw where you can change the Carrier Name to whatever you want. It still says MY own personal name instead of AT&T, even after the RESTORE and UPDATE.
    Thanks for any help!

2. lukeholl macrumors member

lukeholl

I hadn't jailbroke my before updating, and I noticed the extra 'Other' increase too after I updated my iPhone. I'm guessing the new update doesn't properly clean up after itself by deleting old or temporary files :confused:

3. insocal thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks! I'm noticing a lot of posts now reporting the same thing. Maybe we'll get a fix soon.

4. Silverbird0000 macrumors 6502a

Mine says 205 mb other. That sucks! That's alot of music I could sync!

5. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

On a touch that hasn't been touched, about how much other should there be? I'm showing 105.6, and this is after I put the touch into recovery mode and restored. (and I still have my damn custom carrier icon in the top!)

...I'm on an iPod touch though, and really upgraded for no reason as I don't want to spend money for the extra stuff.

6. surefire09 macrumors member

that extra other is the OS... the OS probably takes up more space now.

7. skeen macrumors 6502

Yeh, maybe they have some SDK preparation in there now...

8. alFR macrumors 68020

It probably is the google maps update etc. You'd have thought they would have left some spare space for OS updates in the 0.63Gb they'd reserved from the flash already though so they wouldn't eat further into the user area.

9. samh004 macrumors 68020

samh004

I have about 100MB extra now, not too much. I do have installer.app and the SSH program missing so I guess a small part might be them, but they're small, right ?

I'll go with speculation that it's hidden files related to the iPhone SDK.

10. Aries326 macrumors 6502

I've got 233.6 mb of other. My phone has been updated from 1.1.2 I'm sure this all stuff related to the updates and the upcoming SDK - I hope.

11. knoxtown macrumors 6502

12. Oh-es-Ten macrumors regular

Oh-es-Ten

I win..

You are lucky... I have 377MB of Other...

Does anyone know if a Restore will help 'clear it out'?

This seems very high in comparison to everyone else....

That is more than I am comfortable with giving up..!

I do like the update though..

Attached Files:

13. MacBoy108 macrumors 6502

MacBoy108

Great Scott! I'm lucky I only have 46.6 mb of this dark matter.

14. PatrickC macrumors member

196.5 megs of "other." I'm going to do a restore and see if it eliminates any of it. I'll let you all know.

UPDATE: It turns out I can't restore my phone due to error 1602, yet 1.1.3 installed fine yesterday with iTunes 7.6 and the new QT. Strange...

15. silbeej macrumors 6502a

The thing is the OS never used any "other" before, it is all in that extra space that we don't even get to see. It must be a flewk where the extra data from the previous OS was not deleted, and is now using some of our space. This should not be happening, get rid of it Apple.

16. silbeej macrumors 6502a

Thats funny, i just added a ringtone and a movie, and my "other" data went down from 193, to 178, and added 18mb of audio, and this is after i took all my music off to see if it fixed this. I don't like where this is going.

17. PatrickC macrumors member

After a restore, before any music is loaded, it shows "other" as being 189.8 megs.

After loading 4.58 gigs of audio and 1.25 gigs of music, "other" is listed as being 193.2 megs.

So I lost 3.3 megs of "other" after a restore, just in case anyone cares.

18. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Last night I thought that doing a complete brand new phone restore would work, nope

with no media or content on my phone I still had 195.5mb other...

19. razorianfly macrumors 65816

razorianfly

This may be caused by left over applications from a jailbreak. When you restore after a jailbreak, the applications aren't actually touched or removed by the restore process. The restore process does however replace a script file (quite small) which makes these applications not visible anymore. They are actually still there, they are just not accessible.

So literally, once your jailbreak, your jailbroken for life, even if it doesn't 'look' visually, like you are. You are.

The reason one of the above poster gained 3.3mb after a restore, is because a new script file was generated by the restore process.

R-Fly

20. Monk Edsel macrumors regular

This sucks!!

I don't know if anyone noticed, but I don't think it's the iPhone update (1.1.3) that adds the extra Other data, I think it's iTunes. I updated my iPhone before I updated my iTunes to the latest version (7.6). After updating the phone, my Other data stayed the same (at least I think it did, it was less than 10MB in any case). After I updated iTunes (and QuickTime for that matter) and plugged in the phone it showed 195.4 MB of Other. Either way the space has been taken up, but it's interesting to me that it only occured after the iTunes update.

21. adamk77 macrumors 6502

I noticed the same increase. I downgraded to itunes 7.5 and it went down again. I don't plan on renting any movies from iTunes so its ok.

My phone was not jail broken.

22. babalou macrumors newbie

How do you downgrade back to 7.5? I wont rent movies either and rather have the space back on my phone.

23. sparkyms macrumors 65816

Perhaps then that the 7.6 upgrade Syncs a nominal amount of space to the iPhone ready for future apps with SDK?

Just a thought?

24. Steven Jackson macrumors 6502

25. adamk77 macrumors 6502

I downloaded 7.5 from http://filehippo.com/download_itunes/?3402

Then I uninstalled iTunes 7.6 from my computer. Make sure you uninstall everything (quicktime, itunes helper, other misc services it installs) or it won't recognize your iphone.

Then I reinstalled 7.5.