Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

T-Mobile today announced a new holiday promotion it's calling "Un-carrier Unwrapped," offering free unlimited LTE data for all of its Simple Choice customers for the next three months. All existing Simple Choice postpaid customers as of the end of the day on November 23 will get the unlimited data.

T-Mobile also plans to unveil additional "gifts" for the next month, with a new gift coming each week. The company is teasing a "special holiday gift" for Sprint, AT&T, and Verizon customers, with one gift per carrier per week.

tmounlimiteddata.jpg
"We've had a fantastic year, and we're going to spread that T-Mobile cheer by starting with the most important people first... our existing customers! Now you get Unlimited LTE data on our blazing fast network for three full months as a gift from the Un-carrier to you," said John Legere, president and CEO of T-Mobile. "But that's not all....we know that Verizon, AT&T and Sprint customers need some holiday cheer, too - so we've got presents coming for them. Just wait!"
The unlimited data offering for Simple Choice customers will begin on December 1, 2015 and will last through March 1, 2016. Unlimited data will kick in once all existing data and Data Stash data has been used up. T-Mobile does require its Binge On video streaming service to be activated.

Unveiled earlier this month, Binge On provides T-Mobile customers with video streaming that does not eat into data plans, but it uses a data compression algorithm that streams video at a reduced 480p quality.

T-Mobile is also offering Black Friday deals on Samsung smartphones and discounting the UE Boom Bluetooth speaker by $100, dropping the price to $99.

Article Link: T-Mobile Announces 'Un-carrier Unwrapped' Promotion Offering Free LTE Data for All Customers for Three Months

loanhighknight

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2013
This is an incredibly smart idea. Rather than trying to sell high data-cap plans to customers by telling them unrelatable numbers--like how many hours of video or how many songs they can download--instead, let them *live* it for a while and see what it's like.

I bet a ton of their 1GB subscribers up their plans after this ends in February.

swajames

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2003
Doesn't matter what carrier you're with - chances are you have a better plan and deal than you had a year or two back, and in large part that's down to Legere and T-Mobile shaking things up in the industry. For me he's by far the best CEO and biggest driving force for change in the business.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Damn good. They really are the only ones of the big 4 doing ridiculous promos like this. Sprint is also trying to compete. Eventually a better network will not be enough of a crutch for the other two.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I am seriously about this *pinches fingers closely together* close to switching to T-Mobile, so I'll be interested to see what they offer current Verizon customers. I just need to test out their network in my area.

mailboxbetacoin

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2014
Doesn't matter what carrier you're with - chances are you have a better plan and deal than you had a year or two back, and in large part that's down to Legere and T-Mobile shaking things up in the industry. For me he's by far the best CEO and biggest driving force for change in the business.

Yeah that Legere guy is so awesome with his Uncarrier moves, let's just remember again what prices used to be before they started doing this:
- August 2012: T-Mobile announces unlimited plan for $69.99/month without phone, or $89.99/month with subsidized phone
- November 2015: T-Mobile latest Uncarrier move brings the unlimited plan to $95/month with no phone.

35% increase over a 3y period, you're right he's by far the best CEO... manages to make everybody believe they're paying less while they're paying more and more.

Reactions: QCassidy352

GhostRaider

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2014
Anybody know if T-Mobile will have any Black Friday or Cyber Monday iPhone deals for T-Mobile? I mean they did last time but I was too late for it.

Mike MA

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2012
Germany
I would love to see TMO act the same here at their homeground. But sad enough, they are not the underdog over here. But it's still entertaining though to see how they shake things up.

Reactions: NoWayBehind

JustThinkin'

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2014
Anybody know if T-Mobile will have any Black Friday or Cyber Monday iPhone deals for T-Mobile? I mean they did last time but I was too late for it.
Yes, you purchase an iPhone 6s or 6s Plus and get a free storage memory upgrade to the next level when purchased online (16GB -> 64GB or 64GB -> 128GB).

naeS1Sean

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2011
Scranton, PA
Next they won't charge you anything for anything and they'll be bankrupt. How much profit to these (all cellular companies) thieves make?

FasterQuieter

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2008
This is an incredibly smart idea. Rather than trying to sell high data-cap plans to customers by telling them unrelatable numbers--like how many hours of video or how many songs they can download--instead, let them *live* it for a while and see what it's like.

I bet a ton of their 1GB subscribers up their plans after this ends in February.

If this is contingent on the activation of the Binge On video streaming service, then it won't apply to the 1GB customers. You have to pay the 3GB per month plan to get that. (2GB or 6GB actually, as they recently doubled all data allowances.)

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
Explicit phone subsidies that stop when the phone is paid off, Sprint halving prices, T-Mobile giving out free unlimited high-speed data...

After years of colluding, near-monopolistic intransigence, it's kind of amazing what a little actual competition can do for an industry. At this rate in another year or two the service/price ratio will actually be decent.

Reactions: chrisbru

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Yeah that Legere guy is so awesome with his Uncarrier moves, let's just remember again what prices used to be before they started doing this:
- August 2012: T-Mobile announces unlimited plan for $69.99/month without phone, or $89.99/month with subsidized phone
- November 2015: T-Mobile latest Uncarrier move brings the unlimited plan to $95/month with no phone.

35% increase over a 3y period, you're right he's by far the best CEO... manages to make everybody believe they're paying less while they're paying more and more.

To be fair, the entire industry has been pushing unlimited plans out of existence. At least tmobile still offers it as an option.

Also, in the same time period, the cost of their capped data plans have gotten cheaper and/or have had the data cap raised. So overall, across the company, I'd say the service has become a better value.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.