Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jknight8907

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 14, 2004
Hudson Valley NY
I just picked up a new 60gb black iPod today (it's suhweet), but I forgot that apple doesn't give you a wall brick anymore. :eek: Can I charge my baby with my 3g brick and firewire cable?

NicP

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2005
rye9 said:
Are you sure, on the store.apple.com, it says the Firewire wall adapter isnt compatible with the 5G.

Thats because you cant use firewire to connect to your computer, the ipod does not support firewire.

You should still be able to use the brick to charge it tho :)

edit: i see you said the "the firewire wall adaptor" not "the firewire adaptor" *shrugs* i'm not sure anymore either

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
I thought you could charge the 5G and nano with firewire, you just couldn't transfer data with firewire.

rockandrule said:
Yep! That's how I charge mine. Just can't charge with FireWire through your Mac.
If it does charge via the wall adapter and FW, then it must charge via a computer and FW. Wouldn't it?

rye9

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2005
New York (not NYC)
NicP said:
Thats because you cant use firewire to connect to your computer, the ipod does not support firewire.

You should still be able to use the brick to charge it tho :)

Oh OK... thats nice to know :) ... but as for firewire support, wouldnt that have been faster to transfer videos? IMO, I think Apple should have kept Firewire.

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
rye9 said:
Are you sure, on the store.apple.com, it says the Firewire wall adapter isnt compatible with the 5G.
Works fine w/ my Nano. You can't transfer data, but charging, should have no problems.

:edit: Dang it... Must learn to reload tabs.

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park

rockandrule

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2004
Jacksonville, FL
I use my 5G 30GB with my 1G Mini 4GB firewire cable and power brick.

It works, don't worry about it. You can't transfer with it, actually I think there might be a connector that you can buy to make it firewire compatible.

Loge

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
England
grapes911 said:
I thought you could charge the 5G and nano with firewire, you just couldn't transfer data with firewire.

If it does charge via the wall adapter and FW, then it must charge via a computer and FW. Wouldn't it?

Yes, it does charge from the Mac with FW, both the nano and 5G.

Marky_Mark

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2005
UK
rockandrule said:
I use my 5G 30GB with my 1G Mini 4GB firewire cable and power brick.

It works, don't worry about it.

I second that: this is identical to what I do, and I've had no problems. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.