Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today has commemorated Martin Luther King, Jr. Day with a full homepage tribute on the company's website. The image on the site is accompanied by a famous quote from the African-American civil rights leader, "Life's most persistent and urgent question is, 'What are you doing for others?'"

Apple-MLK-2016.jpg

Apple CEO Tim Cook has publicly expressed his admiration for Martin Luther King, Jr. in the past, telling journalist Charlie Rose that he keeps photos of Dr. King and politician Robert F. Kennedy in his office at Apple.
"I had the -- just tremendous respect for both of them, and so I do," he said. "I look at them every day because I think for people -- there's still too many cases in the world and in the United States where there's a class kind of structure or where voting or people are trying to convince each other that this other group of people don't deserve the same rights. And I think it's crazy, I think it's un-American."
Martin Luther King, Jr. Day is an American federal holiday marking the birthday of Dr. King, and many employees in the country are given the day off. Last year, in lieu of a paid day off, Apple pledged to donate an additional $50 for each voluntary hour worked by employees on MLK Day.
Remembering #MLK: Life's most persistent and urgent question is "What are you doing for others?" - Tim Cook (@tim_cook) January 18, 2016
Note: Due to the political nature of the discussion regarding this topic, the discussion thread is located in our Politics, Religion, Social Issues forum. All forum members and site visitors are welcome to read and follow the thread, but posting is limited to forum members with at least 100 posts.

Article Link: Apple Honors Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. With Homepage Tribute

iOSFangirl6001

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2015
Hats off to Apple.
At the very least both men certainly have their inspirational traits and some equally inspirational quotes
[doublepost=1453121234][/doublepost]
Note: Due to people potentially being racist, this discussion is located in our Politics, Religion, Social Issues forum.

See Danny's post above.
Sad that racism ( among other things is still a thing but yea... )

I don't see how this would be controversial - good for Apple.

macguy360

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2011
Good question Apple. Here I'll answer for you.

Running tax avoidance havens out of Ireland while hiring the cheapest labor I can source from China while selling products at the highest possible point in the U.S. Oh wait, you meant to ask what we're doing for other people that aren't shareholders?

iLoveDeveloping

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2009
Ireland
Ye Apple! Inpirational quote of the day! "What are you doing for others?" - well you are avoiding tax in Ireland to the tune of like 8 BILLION and you sell overpriced products with minimal change year on year to maximise the profit of the richest company ever created! Well done guys, Apple is the modern day mother Theresa!!! Oh.... wait....

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
Good question Apple. Here I'll answer for you.

Running tax avoidance havens out of Ireland while hiring the cheapest labor I can source from China while selling products at the highest possible point in the U.S. Oh wait, you meant to ask what we're doing for other people that aren't shareholders?

Please add all the other companies which do the same, so it's a little bit more fair.
I'll give you Pfizer to start.

AND, while we are at it, please post the laws Apple is breaking by doing what they do.

Then add the politicians and countries who pass the tax codes, labor laws etc. and we have a start.

Ye Apple! Inpirational quote of the day! "What are you doing for others?" - well you are avoiding tax in Ireland to the tune of like 8 BILLION and you sell overpriced products with minimal change year on year to maximise the profit of the richest company ever created! Well done guys, Apple is the modern day mother Theresa!!! Oh.... wait....

Please educate yourself instead of spewing non facts. They are being investigated. That's all for now.
Of course only AFTER many many years of doing the same as other companies.

stewy

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2008
Kingston, ON
Note: Due to people potentially being racist, this discussion is located in our Politics, Religion, Social Issues forum.

Hah, yes I remember the fiasco last year...
[doublepost=1453123529][/doublepost]
Please add all the other companies which do the same, so it's a little bit more fair.

AND, while we are at it, please post the laws Apple is breaking by doing what they do.

Then add the politicians and countries who pass the tax codes, labor laws etc. and we have a start.

Other companies aren't trying to align themselves with great people by putting up tribute pages. When you do that you open yourself up to a special type of criticism.

macguy360

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2011

Please educate yourself instead of spewing non facts. They are being investigated. That's all for now.
Of course only AFTER many many years of doing the same as other companies.

Excuse me but Pfizer doesn't put up ads on their front page of Martin Luther King Jr. with quotes about being generous to others. If Apple is going to put an ad like that on their front page, they should back it up with some information on philanthropy that they do.

Putting an ad up like that to challenge people to do good is a little hypocritical from a company like Apple is all i'm saying.

SqB

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2008
Northern Colorado
Just love seeing people drop in on every thread anymore to drop the "Tax Turd" and move on. This, perhaps, is the result of poor education or sheltered world view. Either way, it's getting old.

Every public, for-profit corporation has the responsibility to its shareholders/stakeholders to use every legal means possible to protect it's profits while reinvesting in itself and providing a return on investment. Apple goes far beyond that by voluntarily donating significantly to charities and organizations that make a real difference in the world.

Voluntarily donating extra money to the US federal government, or other governments, by paying taxes they are not legally required to is not a donation I'd personally like to see companies like Apple make.

And if you can't see the reason a gay man from Alabama has a picture of MLK on his desk, you need to go back and study the civil rights movement.

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
Hah, yes I remember the fiasco last year...
[doublepost=1453123529][/doublepost]

Other companies aren't trying to align themselves with great people by putting up tribute pages. When you do that you open yourself up to a special type of criticism.

Are you a journalist twisting things to make somebody look bad?

How about this journalistic marvel:

Why does Apple glorify a womanizer who plagiarized a lot of his doctoral dissertation and was under FBI surveillance (I'll leave it a that)

Apple is not aligning themselves.
They are simply honoring MLK on his day and using a very powerful quote!

That is at least the way I look at it.

CB1234

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2012
Dubai, UAE
Excuse me but Pfizer doesn't put up ads on their front page of Martin Luther King Jr. with quotes about being generous to others. If Apple is going to put an ad like that on their front page, they should back it up with some information on philanthropy that they do.

Putting an ad up like that to challenge people to do good is a little hypocritical from a company like Apple is all i'm saying.

So you mean as long as Apple does not align itself with good people, it is OK for them to be like Pfizer, Amazon, Google and pay as little tax as possible?

And the best philanthropy is done by doing it quietly, in my opinion.

Jax44

Contributor
Jul 24, 2010
Carmel, California
Are you a journalist twisting things to make somebody look bad?

How about this journalistic marvel:

Why does Apple glorify a womanizer who plagiarized a lot of his doctoral dissertation and was under FBI surveillance (I'll leave it a that)

Apple is not aligning themselves.
They are simply honoring MLK on his day and using a very powerful quote!

That is at least the way I look at it.

The first two I might give you, but hard to dis someone for being surveiled by Hoover.

Reactions: rbrian and kds1
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.