195GB VM, 8core crawling

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Fomaphone, Apr 8, 2010.

1. Fomaphone macrumors regular

hi all. as i type this it's taking a moment for the text to catch up. i don't know what's going on with my machine-- i never had this many problems with my PPC until the day it completely died. anyway it's moving slower than a snail doing anything-- just safari and finder open right now. my system disk, which has about 730GB of stuff on it including the OS, is showing 23.6gb free in finder and in activity monitor it's showing 192-195 VM allocated.

i'm doing absolutely nothing right now other than trying to surf the web-- i had been doing some 2k video transcoding to uncompressed 8bit at full resolution, but that failed because my system HD was apparently full-- meaning it wanted more VM than there was room. i restarted since then and I'm in the same boat. before i restarted there had been about 760,000 page ins and 718,000 page outs.

before i restarted, istat pro showed about 8gb of RAM in active, about 1.6 wired, and the rest free. now it shows about 10gb free and is still crawling.

anybody have some suggestions?

2. Loa macrumors 65816

Loa

Hello,

Just to be sure, you have a 800GB disk that is filled up to 730GB?

Loa

3. Transporteur macrumors 68030

Never fill up your system drive that much!

Data on a hard drive is written from the outside of the platter to the inside, that's why the drive gets considerably slower when you fill it up.
    Pretty obvious why your system is struggling. The hard drive speed you get with such little free space must be absolutely horrible and swapping data to it simply takes a while. This is why you have such a lagging system.

Cheap solution: Get a new hard drive for your data and keep the system drive free.

The VM size actually doesn't matter at all and 192GB is not much either. Nothing to worry about.

4. Bartman01 macrumors regular

The VM should not be on the same drive as the OS if you are looking for performance.

5. Transporteur macrumors 68030

In this case VM does NOT mean Virtual Machine. :rolleyes:

Virtual Memory is meant.

6. Loa macrumors 65816

Loa

I'm pretty sure he meant virtual memory, but his statement applies for both situations, in any case.

Loa

7. Transporteur macrumors 68030

He's talking about VM size in the activity monitor, which can only be Virtual Memory since the activity monitor does not display sizes of any Virtual Machines that have been set up on the system.

8. Loa macrumors 65816

Loa

hehehe, I should have been more specific on my own "he": I'm pretty sure Bartman was talking about memory as well. Everybody's talking about virtual memory!!! :)

But in any case (machine or memory), placing them on another drive is better.

I hope the OP returns with some specific info on his set-up. Maybe his first VM meant View Mail on eMacs! hahaha, just kidding.

Loa