Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today announced the iPhone SE, a new 4-inch iPhone that boasts many of the same features as the company's larger iPhone 6s.

The iPhone SE features the A9 chip and the same embedded M9 motion co-processor as Apple's flagship 4.7-inch phone, for double the CPU performance of the iPhone 5s, which was Apple's last 4-inch handset. The new phone also packs the same graphics capabilities of the larger iPhone 6s, meaning it has three times faster GPU performance compared to the iPhone 5s.

iPhone-SE-four-colors.jpg

The iPhone SE features Apple's latest 12-megapixel rear-facing iSight camera. Thanks to the improved camera, 63-megapixel panoramas can be captured and 4K video at 30 FPS is supported. The new handset also features a 1.2-megapixel front-facing FaceTime camera with a True Tone Retina Flash feature that lights up the display of the iPhone significantly more than usual, just before a photo is captured.

The iPhone SE features faster LTE and 802.11ac Wi-Fi at up to 150 Mbps and 433 Mbps respectively. The device supports up to 19 LTE bands and also comes with iOS 9.3, Apple Pay, VoLTE, Wi-Fi calling, new microphones, Live Photos support, always-on "Hey Siri" voice activation, and improved battery life.

The iPhone SE will be available to order from March 24 and begin shipping on March 31. First wave launch countries include the United States, Australia, Canada, China, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Japan, New Zealand, Puerto Rico, Singapore, and the United Kingdom.

Prices begin at $399 for the 16GB version, while the 64GB version will cost $499. A two-year contract is free for the 16GB version and financing starts at $17/month for the same model. Four colors are available with matte chamfered edges: Silver, Gold, Space Gray, and Rose Gold.

The new iPhone SE will be available in over 100 countries by the end of May.

Article Link: Apple Announces New 4-Inch iPhone SE Starting at $399

Reactions: iMember

CrashX

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2012
Very cool - I finally get a new phone that fits in my front pocket. So did the memory get bumped up or not?

Reactions: ijbond

Benjamin Frost

Suspended
May 9, 2015
London, England
No 128GB.

Same giant bezels.

Wish Apple would give us a flagship 4" iPhone. Hanging onto my iPhone 5 for another year. :(

This keynote...protruding camera on the iPad? Ridiculous. Starting with 15 minutes of research and health was worthy, but incredibly boring. Only Phil Schiller exuded any appreciable enthusiasm. The Apple Watch is obviously selling badly; no sales figures and a 20% price drop. The iPad has been increased in price by 20%; just what is needed in the face of 8 quarters of plummeting sales. Shares are down post-keynote.

I find the death of Apple painful to watch. All good things come to an end, I guess. I'm grateful to Steve Jobs and all who worked with him for his amazing products.

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009
Wow, looks awesome. I was already going to get it, but it looks even better now. Love the design, especially in Space Gray...it looks just right to me.

Only thing I'm sacrificing by going from my iPhone 6 to the SE is 128GB, but I don't mind. If Apple had only released 16/32, then we'd have problems.

imola.zhp

macrumors 65816
Jun 1, 2010
Mud Island (Memphis), TN
I love my 6, but my mother in law, a very petite lady with small hands, refuses to get anything larger than her iPhone 5. She is still using a 5! We'll be ordering her a rose gold 64gb Thursday.

Reactions: B4U
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.