Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Amid a decline in worldwide PC shipments, Apple's Mac sales have held steady, according to new PC shipping estimates from Gartner. During the first quarter of 2016, Apple shipped 4.6 million Macs worldwide and held 7.1 percent of the market, up from 4.56 million Mac shipments and 6.4 percent of the market during the first quarter of 2015.

While Apple only saw 1 percent worldwide growth, it fared better than the overall PC market, which saw total worldwide shipments of 64.8 million, a 9.6 percent decline from 71.7 million shipments in Q1 2015. Among other vendors, Lenovo and HP saw some of the biggest shipment drops with 12.5 million and 11.4 million shipments in 1Q 2016, down from 13.5 million and 12.5 million, respectively, in the year-ago quarter.

gartner_1Q16_global.jpg
Gartner's Preliminary Worldwide PC Vendor Unit Shipment Estimates for 1Q16 (Thousands of Units)

With 7.1 percent of the market, Apple ranked as the number five worldwide vendor, coming in after Lenovo (19.3% share), HP (17.6% share), Dell (14.1% share), and ASUS (8.3% share). Other vendors, not ranked in the top five, accounted for 33.6 percent of the market.
The deterioration of local currencies against the U.S. dollar continued to play a major role in PC shipment declines. Our early results also show there was an inventory buildup from holiday sales in the fourth quarter of 2015," said Mikako Kitagawa, principal analyst at Gartner.
While Apple's worldwide numbers were steady, Mac sales in the United States appear to have dipped slightly. According to Gartner's data, Apple shipped 1.666 million PCs in the United States, for 12.7 percent of the market. That's down from 1.672 million in the year-ago quarter, but market share is up from 11.8 percent.

gartner_1Q16_us.jpg
Gartner's Preliminary U.S. PC Vendor Unit Shipment Estimates for 1Q16 (Thousands of Units)

Dell, the number one vendor in the U.S., shipped 3.5 million PCs in Q1 2016 for 26.3 percent of the market, while HP shipped 3.1 million for 23.7 percent of the market. Lenovo saw the greatest growth with 1.9 million shipments and 14.5 percent of the market, while ASUS saw a decline in shipments from 770,000 in Q1 2015 to 667,000 in Q1 2016 for just 5.1 percent of the market.

In the overall U.S. PC market, shipments totaled 13.1 million in the first quarter of 2016, a decline of 6.6 percent compared to the year-ago quarter and the lowest shipment volume in the country in three years.

gartner_1Q16_us_trend.jpg
Apple's U.S. Market Share Trend: 1Q06-1Q16 (Gartner)

IDC also released its shipment estimates today, and as is typical, its numbers are different than Gartner's numbers, in part due to the difference in the way Windows-based tablets are counted by each firm. According to IDC, worldwide PC shipments totaled 60.6 million, for an overall decline of 11.5 percent.

While Gartner ranks Apple as number five vendor in worldwide PC shipments, IDC ranks Apple as number four with 4.5 million shipments and 7.4 percent of the market (a decline from 4.6 million shipments in Q1 2015), edging out ASUS's 4.4 million shipments. As for U.S. shipments, IDC puts the total number at 13.625 million, an overall decline of 5.8 percent.

IDC's U.S. shipment estimates are more favorable to Apple, suggesting PC shipments totaling 1.8 million and 13 percent market share for growth of 5.6 percent rather than the slight decline Gartner estimates. Like Gartner, IDC lists Dell (3.5m shipments), HP (3.5m shipments), Lenovo (1.9m shipments), and Apple (1.8m shipments) as the top four PC vendors in the United States, but IDC positions Acer Group (711,000 shipments) as the number five vendor while Gartner lists it as ASUS.

It's important to note that data from Gartner and IDC is preliminary and that the numbers can shift, sometimes dramatically, while other times, the estimates are closer to the actual data. Last year, for example, Gartner estimated Apple's Q1 2015 U.S. PC shipments to be 1.670 million, fairly close to the correct 1.672 million shipment number.

Article Link: Worldwide Mac Sales Hold Steady as PC Market Sees Shipments Decline 9.6% in Q1 2016

Oridus

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2012
I stick with building my own PCs anyway. I wouldn't be figured into this. I <3 my Macbook and eventually will do either an iMac or Mac Pro, but will always have a custom built PC on hand for gaming, and for my wife since she hates Mac OS :(

Vanilla35

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2013
Washington D.C.
As long as apple's brand continues to grow, so will their macs. No matter how seldom the updates, or underpowered the graphics.

Still waiting on my 765M 15" rMBP apple.

newdeal

macrumors 68030
Oct 21, 2009
Looks like the "Dude, you gotta get a Dell" ads are still working for some reason. I am surprised that Asus has dropped so much in the USA they make a pretty nice computer with a lot of variety in their line

Reactions: AppleScruff1

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
Anecdotally among the non-geeks that you know, why are PC shipments falling?
Computers last longer these days? Not much reason to replace a PC is it still works? It's a mature market with not many people buying their first PC ever?

There are a lot of factors involved.

We're talking about one quarter where 65 million PCs were shipped... but the year before 71 million were shipped.

A person might only buy a new PC once every 3-4 years. But people bought 720,000 PCs every day last quarter.

I don't think there's any single reason why shipments are lower this year versus last year.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
I buy macs on behalf of clients and I still can't believe apple screwed us with 5400 RPM drives in the thin iMacs from 2014.

7200 is not much faster for single user in any case, 5400 is quieter, larger, cooler. And if you're able to get a bigger drive at the same price point (which is generally the case), can even be effectively faster than a smaller 7200 due to the effects of short stroking.

So.... maybe Apple know what they're doing and people just comparing 7200 vs 5400 are not taking other factors into account.

Yes 7200 is faster if comparing same size for same size. But generally you're not.

Reactions: WigWag Workshop

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
The stories always make me happy. The greater market share the Mac has the more attention it will get from developers. Hopefully many windows only applications will become cross platform and many of the current programs that have inferior Mac versions will finally get developers attention.

chrismail627

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2016
California
I don't forsee giving up Macs anytime soon. I'm a developer so any sort of tablet doesn't cut it, plus having OS X and Windows (yuck, I know ;)) on the same machine makes my life easier. I hope that Tim doesn't let the Mac and OS X fall into decay, as I see that Apple is really trying to push iOS/iPads now.

mantan

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2009
DFW
The stories always make me happy. The greater market share the Mac has the more attention it will get from developers. Hopefully many windows only applications will become cross platform and many of the current programs that have inferior Mac versions will finally get developers attention.

These stories don't make me happy.

It reaffirms a philosophy of eeking out updates, watering down specs and cutting corners at every opportunity. (See the MacBook, iMac and Mac Mini) A decease in sales may compel some action. This type of news means more of the same.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
I see your point.

But quarterly market share is only half the story. Don't forget about installed base.

There are over a billion PCs out in the world... but only 100 million Macs.

Macs still get plenty of attention from developers though.

But yes... more Macs can only be a good thing. I agree with that idea.

Last edited:

swissmann

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2003
The Utah Alps
Maybe Apple should start an ad campaign similar to the PC/Mac campaign from years past with "I'm a Mac" and "I'm an iPad/iPhone". Then they could show all the things that a Mac can do that can't be done (or easily done) with iOS. Maybe then people would graduate up to a Mac. Again this week I've been reminded a number of times how much more useful a Mac can be that iOS. The trick would be to have people want to buy both.

DTphonehome

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2003
NYC
Anecdotally among the non-geeks that you know, why are PC shipments falling?
PCs nowadays are good enough. There's not much reason to upgrade and pretty much everyone has one already.
[doublepost=1460434194][/doublepost]Gosh, imagine how many they'd sell if they'd update them once in a while.

Reactions: Altis

ghost187

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2010
MacBook Pro with a tapered design and 12 hour battery life would make me instantly upgrade with maxed out specs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.