Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Last November it was reported that Apple was working with suppliers to "fully redesign" many of the MacBook's internal components to achieve a slimmer design. Today, DigiTimes reports one of those redesigns is a move to metal injection mold-made hinges.

macbook_airs_2015.jpg

Metal injection molding is a metalworking process that's used to create very small metal pieces that are typically used by Apple for the internals of products like iPhone and Apple Watch. Apple is looking to use the technology for its MacBook hinges to save space and achieve an "ultra-thin" design, according to DigiTimes.

The new hinges will be supplied by Amphenol, who claims to produce some of the thinnest sliding hinges in the world on its website. The company partners with Microsoft to produce the parts for the hinges on the Microsoft Surface 4.

While DigiTimes has a mixed track record reporting Apple's future plans, the report does corroborate an earlier report that Apple was working toward a slimmer MacBook, likely scheduled for release after WWDC 2016. However, it's unclear which MacBook lineup these reports are referring to. Apple's refreshed MacBook is expected to include faster Skylake processors and Thunderbolt 3 with USB-C.

Article Link: New 'Ultra-Thin' MacBooks Launching in Second Half of 2016 May Sport Metal Injection Mold-Made Hinges

Last edited:
Reactions: appledefenceforce

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
I don't want thinner if I have to sacrifice any more ports or battery life. As a matter of fact, the (perhaps sketchy) rumors from a few weeks back of a new, thinner MacBook Pro redesign coming this summer cemented my decision to go with the current-gen machine... which I'm enjoying very much, by the way!

The current 13" rMBP only weighs 3.5 pounds. I can comfortably hold it by the corner with one hand, just like I did with my second-gen MacBook Air. It's plenty light.

Stop with the thinner. Give us better performance and increased battery life in the same size package, please.

Oblivious.Robot

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2014
As long as battery life remains great, and no ports are sacrificed for achieving this, I think it would be great.

Edit - Ah, they're just taking about the Macbook, yeah so no extra ports on this one either, never mind.

Reactions: Soccertess

multipasser

macrumors regular
Dec 11, 2010
Apple and creating niches! It is thin enough for us! You do not have to make it thinner.. nobody cares! We want 4 usb ports, utp, hdmi ports. You want a paperthin laptop were we need to buy expensive usb-c cables or hubs just to connect a printer or a networkcable.

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
After all these juicy Mac rumours for a change, I'm going to be gutted if they don't announce them at WWDC in June. Pretty please Apple, I need a new design MBP to brighten up my desk.

peterh988

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2011
Oh my god would Apple just release a redesigned MacBook Pro already!! It's already been nearly 2 months over the average amount of time for updates and over a month longer than the past 4+ releases! Come on, I've got an early 2011, I'd like to upgrade soon!

I'm trying to squeeze every last drop of life out of my 2007 MBP (and what a great servant it's been).

But I really need to update, was hoping to have something at WWDC, especially as I have a course to go in in late July that I'd like to use it for.

Oh, and in Space Grey, please!

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
So possible Apple is doing the same thing like dell with their xps series? No power machines any more just ultrabooks.

The XPS series effectively spans the spectrum from devices under $800 to the Precision 5000 series http://www.dell.com/us/business/p/precision-m5510-workstation/pd?ref=PD_OC which is really just a 15.6" mobile workstation in an XPS body. 45w quad-core processors, dedicated video cards, Xeon processor options, up to 32GB RAM. All in a device nearly 60% thinner than today's 15" MBP, .6 pounds lighter, in a smaller overall footprint.

If Dell can put that together, hopefully Apple can do it even better.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Apple and creating niches! It is thin enough for us! You do not have to make it thinner.. nobody cares! We want 4 usb ports, utp, hdmi ports. You want a paperthin laptop were we need to buy expensive usb-c cables or hubs just to connect a printer or a networkcable.

I really, really, REALLY wish someone starts to get rid of the most horrible connector in use today (Rj45), it should go the same way as the Dodo and the VGA connector!

Reactions: p96 and MacHiavelli

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
I'm looking forward to this, i wonder if the light up Apple logo will be gone? i have a 2011 Macbook Pro i'd like to update at some point.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.