spoa94

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011
New Orleans, LA
It was from a Verizon retail store. I didn't return it since becwuse I thought it was cool to have a phone like this.
Very interesting that this phone fell through the cracks. I wonder if it is possible for you to boot iOS on it or if Apple themselves will have to be the ones to fix it. However it sounds like you don't even care that its not running the full iOS? Why not simply sell it on eBay? You will probably get a decent amount of cash for it since this is such a rarity.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Hard to think that Verizon did not catch this. They kinda track the IMEI through the sales process but things do fall through the cracks.

I think I would be more upset that I do not have a new phone working.

Reactions: Givmeabrek

dannyar

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2007
Could it be a jailbroken phone that was returned and VZW sold it to you?
This....definitely not apple software. Why would they have an app called Ness based after the Nintendo character. I've seen this type of jailbroken iPhone before, Verizon likely took it back as a return and didn't check it. Just return it and get a regular iPhone.

Wondercow

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2008
Toronto, Canada
This....definitely not apple software. Why would they have an app called Ness based after the Nintendo character. I've seen this type of jailbroken iPhone before, Verizon likely took it back as a return and didn't check it. Just return it and get a regular iPhone.
The iPhone Wiki said:
Ness is the NonUI iOS internal application responsible for BurnIn testing in the Factory Environment, that is also known as "Earthbound". Not much is known about this app, and what it truly does.
And the icon in OP's photo looks like the correct one.

hojx

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2014
Singapore
I apologise in advance if I'm wrong or offensive in any way but I find it a little hard to believe someone would spend a thousand bucks for a new phone and after getting the test firmware:
1. is not selling it on eBay for a lot more immediately
2. would still bother putting on a case AND a screen protector

unless you actually have that much money to spare?

A video would be great, OP.

iOSUser7

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2014
Is it an iPhone 6 or 6s ? Title says iPhone 6 but your post mention iPhone 6s.

Also it does indeed look like the Switchboard OS that Apple use for debugging. It's extremely rare but a very few people have already received this model instead of the regular iPhone they ordered.

This could be fake too, I don't know, please OP make a video for proof. Also, if you don't care about it and you are not a collector, you could sell it on eBay and make a lot of cash.

Beenblacklisted

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2011
Miami,Fl
if
Has anyone received an iPhone 6S with unofficial test software? This phone looks like it accidently slipped through inspection becwuse it still has the Switchboard OS, which is a software used on iPhone prototypes and each phone that is made in the factory to test the components. It's a 64GB Gold model but the IMEI and the serial number do not show on Apple's database.

Also, I've bought a case and screen protector for it and I've been using it a lot, curious what this phone can do.
if you are interested in selling , im interested in buying.

paulopadopa

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2012
Hard to think that Verizon did not catch this. They kinda track the IMEI through the sales process but things do fall through the cracks.

How would they be able to track what software is on it if it's inside a box?

Reactions: Newtons Apple

Mascots

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2009

You'd be surprised how ineffective that system is, not from a technical standpoint, but by the people who are overseeing. It's a lot more shotty and a lot less automated than you'd expect, especially when unexpected exceptions like this enter their conflicting
systems and processes handling.

Reactions: Newtons Apple