"1984" original Mac commercial ???

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by badda, Apr 17, 2011.

1. badda macrumors newbie

Hello mac fans,

I've been looking all over the web for a high quality (as in an NTSC vob, or clear 720x480 VHS rip) of the original "1984" commercial for Apple's Macintosh.

(I'm not looking for a youTube version.)

I believe Apple itself used to host high quality mov files of the advertisment a few years ago, but not any more, unfortunately.

Please, if you know a working URL where I can download "1984", I would be grateful if you would point me towards it.

Thanks. Any ideas?

2. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

Unless I'm mistaken, VHS is 250x480 in resolution. Maybe somebody has it on a Laserdisc or something somewhere? Its just old enough that I don't see that many high quality versions existing in a digital format.

3. LimeiBook86 macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

I have a few versions of it somewhere, I know I have the 1984-2004 version. If I find anything else I'll let you know. :)

4. MacTech68 macrumors 68020

MacTech68

The version that Apple hosted on their website was pretty poor quality back in the day when bandwidth was low and a 28.8Kbps modem was the norm.

I've never come across anything approaching "high" quality. If anybody does, I'd love to know too.

I know the original Apple hosted video (just to show how bad it was) is on archive.org but I can't locate it right now

5. badda thread starter macrumors newbie

Great! If you have a clean version of the original, I would love to have a copy (via something like megaupload/rapidshare etc) please. I'd really appreciate it.

6. MacTech68 macrumors 68020

MacTech68

7. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Back in '84 the recording choices were Beta or VHS... :eek:

That would be the source, unfortunately.... ;)

I guess is someone had a Beta Hi-Fi copy on a High Grade Tape with great reception, then you can capture it but need to use some sort of TBC with it.

8. cocacolakid macrumors 65816

cocacolakid

9. MacTech68 macrumors 68020

MacTech68

yup... and her shorts have been toned down from the 80's shocking red color :eek: