1984 reading excerpt [help required]

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Jasonbot, Oct 10, 2007.

1. Jasonbot macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

Hi all, I need to do a 5 minute reading from the afore mentioned book (1984- George Orwell) and I dont know what part to read. I want a meaningful bit about the government and the war, maybe some conspiracy, but I dunno which bit to read. I have read the book before but just need a page reference. thanks.

2. malenfant macrumors member

You should read from the part where O'Brien is explaining to Winston why the Party does what it does... this would be in the later part of the book, when O'Brien is torturing Winston. Pretty sure it's the part where O'Brien says something like "Imagine a boot stomping on a human face, forever."

3. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    There is always the obvious last page or so ending with, I loved Big Brother.

4. Jasonbot thread starter macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

I shall! And teh quote is: "The face shall always be stamped upon." in reference to the previous quote.

5. jamesarm97 macrumors 65816

That would make a Double-Plus-Good reading ;)
    I remember listening to the Eurythmic's 1984 soundtrack over and over.

6. j26 macrumors 65832

j26

The opening is pretty good too
    "It was a bright cold day in April and the clocks were striking thirteen (twelve?)..."

The arrest in the flat is pretty gripping too (about halfway in)

7. malenfant macrumors member

The clock would be striking thirteen because it'd be 1 o'clock in the afternoon and, in Newspeak, there'd be no such things as AM and PM.

8. wonga1127 macrumors 6502

Why not use the passages from Goldsteins book. It pretty much highlights and explains everything.

9. Jasonbot thread starter macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

I dont really want to tell the story, rather to just show the ultimate low of human life. Just look at teh degradation of Winston throughout the story. It interests me more than showing why oceania functions like it does.

Also; I like the bit in what I'm reading when it says how the war is mundane and you actually start doubting whether there is even a war.

10. mariahlullaby macrumors 6502a

mariahlullaby

My favorite phrase in the whole book is "Winston was gelatinous with fatigue." Include that :p

11. iMacZealot macrumors 68020

What year are you in school?

My sister read 1984 as a senior in high school, and I'm reading it next tri in freshman honors english. :eek: