$199 iPod Touch For Real?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by 215512, Aug 13, 2008.

1. 215512 Guest

Hello Everyone,
    We all know that one way or another a new iPod Touch will be coming out in September and need not to discuss that as there are numerous threads already on that. However, I really want an iPod Touch and was wondering how much of a reality a $199 iPod Touch will be.

-superhamster

2. applecupcakes macrumors member

applecupcakes

That's a pretty steep price drop, I can't really imagine it.

3. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

4. 215512 thread starter Guest

How Come?

How come the analysts at Piper Jaffery said that? They advise people on whether to buy Apple stock or not and if they goof up, they can kiss their jobs goodbye?

-superhamster

5. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

they may be right . no one really knows besides apple

6. 215512 thread starter Guest

Apple Knows!

Well, I guess will will all know soon! When do you think this event will happen? I'm sorry, but I am really excited! And upset, I live in Massachusetts and this coming weekend the 5% sales tax will be waved!

-superhamster from Taxachusetts

7. Glaxx macrumors regular

Glaxx

8. 215512 thread starter Guest

Germaphobe

Thanks for the suggestion about the refurb, but being a big germaphobe I would not buy anything refurbished. Yes, I know the cases are new, but the thought of somebody else (other than GLOVED factory employees) touch it before me is creepy. That's one of the reasons why I will not buy an iPhone. In store activation. No way! I want to do it at home, where I know where my USB Cable has been!

-superhamster

9. DCBass macrumors 6502

and it has been $199 for a while. that's how i got my wife hers. works perfectly. i prefer to get refurbed anyway since each one (ipod and mac) go through a stringent quality check process, unlike the ones that are brand new.

jump on in... the water's warm.

10. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

oh comeon dont hey wear gloves lol

germs are good for the heart. or what if the att person is some uber hot girl....just saying lol

with bacteria maybe haha

11. 215512 thread starter Guest

Lol

Okay, if she's a super hot girl, give me all the germs! :)

12. Shot22 macrumors regular

If they keep the 8 GB iPod Touch, then I can't see the price for it being any higher than $199. However, if the 16 GB becomes the low-storage model, then the price could be higher.

13. 215512 thread starter Guest

Okay. Great.

Okay. That makes me feel better. I hope they keep the 8GB!

14. RainForRent macrumors 6502

RainForRent

This is crossing into weird guy territory.

15. 215512 thread starter Guest

Sorry.

Sorry. I was just kidding. I apologize if I offended you.

-superhamster

16. applecupcakes macrumors member

applecupcakes

Haha, this leads me to believe you would be very very frightened of where things have been before you buy them or how things are processed... or how your food is handled... do you buy unsterilized clothing? Oh my goodness haha.

But, ON TOPIC - yet, refurbs are great values for the money!

17. 215512 thread starter Guest

iPod

I try not to think about where things have been. As for restaurants, I get a copy of the health department inspections yearly at my town hall.

18. thebeesknees macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5B108 Safari/525.20)

I'm curious about the update. I think they'll cut the 8 GB and drop all the prices by 100 dollars. And add a 64 gig model. Maybe some new features, but I don't think there will be anything earth shattering.

19. jlbrown23 macrumors member

You're probably right. Apple tends to keep the price points the same and add value/function. I don't see them putting out a cheap Touch any time soon - it is their premium line.

A bigger question to me is what happens to the Classic line. They might get cheaper - or even go away. I think 128GB flash (and maybe even 64GB flash) spells the end of HD based iPods. Apple is pretty diligent about keeping their product lines lean, and it makes a lot of sense to have a premium line (Touch/iPhone) and a basic line(Nano). But the iPod Classic is sort of a living dinosaur - as long as a Nano can't hold all your music they still make sense, but once Nano's get up to 16-32GB the Classic is just a bloated Nano or a crude Touch.

20. jlbrown23 macrumors member

One More Thing...

Anyone else dislike the current Nano/Classic? I think the Nano is stubby and ugly and awkwardly shaped for your hand(the older ones were far better). I also dislike the new interface on the classic. Having a useless picture of the album cover crowding out the browsing part of the screen seems dumb to me. To me if they hadn't introduced the Touch at the same time as these, the whole current generation would be a bit of a bust.

I hope they fix some of this with new models...

21. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

i HATE my new nano, it sucks in your hand, and the half screen crap pisses me off!:mad:

22. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

I do not really see a price-drop being all that feasible, Apple has had a lot of consistency with the prices of their iPod lineup, and I do not see them dropping the base price $100 without it really putting a dent in the lineup. I do think however that there is some strong likelihood that we will see a shift in capacity, with the 16GB iPod touch coming down to $299, the 32GB iPod touch coming down to $399, and them scrapping the 8GB all together. And depending on flash memory prices, I think that we might see a 64GB iPod touch in February or March, but that is just pure speculation.

23. Master Debater macrumors member

This is what I'm hoping for. I have the money, but no way am I gonna shell out $500 for an iPod.

24. applecupcakes macrumors member

applecupcakes

I love the Nano! I find it to be really cute and I also have small hands, so it works quite well for me. :)

25. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

... oh, how quickly we forget...