$199 touch possible?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by kingballin20, Aug 29, 2008.

1. kingballin20 macrumors regular

kingballin20

do you think that there ll be one? how many gb will there be? also is an internal speaker possible? i hope so

2. greg555 macrumors 6502a

Well, you can get an 8GB one now for that price (refurbished). But I guess you are asking about the next release. For that I'd guess they will discontinue the 8GB model and sell the 16GB for the current $299 price. If we are lucky they may sell it for $249.

I'm guessing they won't go lower than that to leave a price range for the nano to live in. (Guessing $199 for 16GB and $149 for 8GB nanos.)

Greg

3. ll PiStoNs ll macrumors regular

what if the shuffle was just 1 model for 49 and the nano was 4 gb for 99 and 16 for 199

4. greg555 macrumors 6502a

Perhaps, but I think there has to be a price gap between the top nano and the bottom touch. So if the top nano was $149 then maybe a $199 8GB touch is possible.

Or maybe I'm wrong and a 16GB nano and 8GB touch could both co-exist at the $199 price. We'll see in a week or two.

Greg

5. Lesser Evets macrumors 68040

Lesser Evets

From some of the rumors recently I was speculating that Apple might reduce all lines, being that the iPod Shuffle and Nano technology is now so limited compared to the touch and iPhone.

It probably won't happen but I thought of sub-$50 shuffles, sub-$150 nanos, and touch starting at $199.

Honestly, in today's market, a Shuffle is NOT worth more than $49 for 2 BG.
    Nanos are nice but very limited, so $149 for their highest GB fits, leaving $199 for a starting touch.

If they upped the hardware and offered 8GB touches for $199 it would probably work well in the market and open up Apple to a lot of money available in the App store. The name of the game is money, so Apple will want to get as many people hooked into APPS, not just TUNES. They are probably going to squeeze the Nanos and Shuffles (non-Apps) down to the kiddie end, entry level side of the product rung. I wouldn't be surprised if the touch takes over the classic iPod, you just get an expensive, bulky touch giving classic sized capability - more Apps to sell.