$199 Wink Lookout Home Security Pack Bundles All-Wink Products for the First Time

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 25, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Connected smart home company Wink on Tuesday announced its first home security bundle featuring all its own-brand products, rather than including compatible products made by other companies.

The Wink Lookout set includes two open/close sensors for use on doors and windows, a motion sensor with pet sensitivity for placement anywhere in the home, a siren and chime alarm with built-in flashlight, and the unifying Wink hub.

[​IMG]

No subscription is required to use the products, which communicate through the hub and can be monitored using an updated Wink iOS app that features sensor-trip alerts, siren control, and an emergency services/trusted contact call option.

The new Wink home security bundle costs $199, which is significantly cheaper than the similar Nest Guard at $499. The Wink Lookout set will be available from October 31 at Home Depot and on Amazon. Sensors can be picked up individually for $29, as can the home motion sensor and siren, which cost $39 each. The set includes free shipping in the U.S. backed by a 30-day return policy.

(Via Engadget.)

Article Link: $199 Wink Lookout Home Security Pack Bundles All-Wink Products for the First Time

2. Tronic macrumors 6502

Tronic

Im surprised the established hone security companies haven’t purchased any of these diy security companies yet. Seems like a no-brainer.

3. Kiro macrumors member

Kiro

Homekit?

Apart from this, I still haven't found a company making a really easy simple hasslefree product in this sector.
    Maybe HUE, but it's just lights.

I still haven't found a company that has homekit compatible window blinds adapters.

4. Swuycheck macrumors newbie

Swuycheck

I love my wink system. This seems like a great deal.

5. Braderunner macrumors 6502a

Not bad. Not bad. This space is getting some nice options. (Except the one by Nest:mad:) To me, paying for monitoring is a rip-off. You're basically paying for someone else to call the cops when the alarm is triggered. I can do that myself.

6. liberte1776 macrumors regular

7. spacemnspiff macrumors 6502a

spacemnspiff

Wink is looking more promising to me, mostly everything is battery operated, to complement that I have 5 wired 3MP security cameras with an NVR at home and motion triggered lights on the exterior. I hate to pay for any subscription fees for storing the data.
    I have a Synology NAS that I plan to use to record all the camera monitoring. I have yet to set that up.

8. randot macrumors newbie

Wink isn't compatible with HomeKit by itself. But with a little work, you can connect it to HomeKit using the open source Homebridge app, running either on a Mac or on a Pi. I set that up with my Wink, and as a result have a much more comprehensive Homekit setup than I would if I only bought officially certified HomeKit products. For instance, I was using Siri with my garage before there was even a compatible HomeKit opener.

9. tzm41 macrumors regular

tzm41

Have you checked Lutron Serena or SOMA shades

10. ipedro macrumors 601

ipedro

I've had a Wink system for nearly 3 years now and after repeated promises, it hasn't gotten much better. I slowly started building up a HomeKit system around it and at this point, I barely ever touch the Wink Relay on my wall.

I use IFTTT and Wink for some non HomeKit devices but I stopped trusting the company and haven't expanded my Wink system. I guess they must be doing something right for some people to still be in business but I wouldn't recommend them.

The only thing that could save Wink for me is if they adopted HomeKit and added it to their existing devices in a firmware update.

11. liberte1776 macrumors regular

No HomeKit = no wallet open.

12. ksnell macrumors 6502a

ksnell

HomeKit blinds like these?

https://www.serenashades.com/

I am thinking about giving them a shot.

13. WinstonRumfoord macrumors 6502

ADT just recently partnered with Samsung's SmartThings. Not quite what you mentioned, but close.