1990 Mac Classic still Boots!

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by DooDaaDame, Jun 6, 2009.

1. DooDaaDame macrumors member

DooDaaDame

I was reading this forum category and got a bit nostalgic for my old Mac Classic. I went upstairs, plugged it in and it booted right up.
    I then made a video about it so everyone could enjoy it:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_d3Oq2Uh5U
    It's at system 7.1. I made many a quark document on this machine...Quark 3.32
    I still have everything for it, discs and all. There are even some cool games on it! :D
    I even have Photoshop 1.:)

2. holidaypf macrumors member

It's so hard to believe that was nearly twenty years ago. Thanks for sharing!

3. Theclamshell macrumors 68030

Cool!, my 512k from 84 still boots up also, its older than me too lol:apple:

4. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

I've got my Mac Classic set up right next to my eMac, for when I get an urge to play Word Munchers. :D

5. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

6. jodelli macrumors 65816

jodelli

I'm not lucky enough to still have my early Macs, but just a couple of hours ago digging a power supply out of a parts cupboard I rediscovered a complete Photoshop 3.0 package.

Minimum requirement: System 7.0, 68020 CPU, 6 MB ram(wouldn't work on my Mac Plus), 20 MB HD. And a set of floppies in case your computer doesn't have one of those new-fangled CD Rom drives!

7. DooDaaDame thread starter macrumors member

DooDaaDame

I'll go you one better...I have Photoshop 1. Yes, Photoshop one. It comes on a floppy. just drag it to your system folder and BOOM! your up. It runs on 6, 7 and I think it fired in 8, but I could be wrong. Can't remember how much RAM it used, but I've run it on 4 MB.

8. DooDaaDame thread starter macrumors member

DooDaaDame

I also had a 128k, but the logic board died, so I had to let it go....I gave it to a collector that found it was autographed inside by the builders. I haven't cracked mu classic case, but bets are these were signed too.

I have 2 Powerbook 540c's
    These are all still operating fine... up until a couple of years ago I used them all for email and some internet, just as a challenge to see if it could be done, but now the web interface far exceeds the ability of a system 7 or 8 web browser.

I also have a Power Tower Pro with a 604 processor
    and a Biege G3 300Mhz tower

PS I have alot of floppy disks with software on them too.. as well as 5.25 floppys for windows. I never throw anything away it seems.

9. California macrumors 68040

California

I bought that same Classic the next year through a developer friend of mine for I think 899 new.

In the January 1994 L.A. Earthquake, amongst other random shattering, falling and breaking noises in my place, I distinctly heard my Mac Classic fly off my desk and hit the hardwood floor or some other object.

I heard the case hit something. Don't ask me how I knew the sound of my Mac striking something, but I knew.

The next day or so, when the power was back on, indeed it was that Classic Mac. It took a beating on the side of the case, but voila. It started up and worked like a charm. I sold it later that year and it works to this day as far as I know, with the earthquake scratch.

Indestructible. wonderful little machine.

10. wackymacs macrumors newbie

wackymacs

My oldest machine that still boots is a 1987 Macintosh SE 800K/20SC. Unfortunately it will need some repairs until I can actually use it because it appears that the hard drive is dead, and it won't read the System 6.0.8 floppy I made for it, so the floppy drive might also need replacing. But it's very hard to believe these machines are as old as they are...it makes me feel older!

11. jodelli macrumors 65816

jodelli

I have a Powerbook 520C without a power supply. The problem is that it has a non-standard four pin plug or I'd be able to cobble up an adapter that would work. Oh well. Maybe I'll try anyway sometime.
    I bet it could run that Photoshop 3.0 that I have.

12. Rodus macrumors 6502a

Rodus

All the early Macs were, sorry but to anyone who reads this and thinks it means big cash for rarity value, that aint true.

13. Nobita macrumors 6502

Thanks for sharing. Very nice video there, I like the background music.

14. Nobita macrumors 6502

Btw I would love to keep this macbook for the next 20 years =)

15. Wolf Gang macrumors newbie

Wolf Gang

Thats amazing! Proves that Macs are amazing computers... Almost a 20 year old computer that still runs!

16. Sehnsucht macrumors 65816

I spent many a 1997/1998 afternoon playing that game at my elementary school. Detention was always held in the computer lab, so when the teacher left for a while....:D

17. Windfall macrumors newbie

I long, long time ago, I bought a mac plus in order to run my business, with an external 20MB hard drive, and an imagewriter, due to a rather sudden change of plan I never actually got it out of the box, until last week. Started up with no problems, and so fast. It seems a shame but I just had to put it back in its box as it is pristine, well it is brand new.

18. cocamouthwash macrumors newbie

cocamouthwash

Neat!

The oldest piece of Mac hardware I have is my 233 MHz iMac G3...threw away my first Beige PowerMac sadly

19. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

The oldest computer I have is a Pentium Dual Core I think it is :D.

Actually, my dual G5 might be older...

20. nwassault macrumors newbie

My employer has a bunch of used Macs they're planning on getting rid of (along with a few NT 4 machines). I'm planning on bidding on a Power Mac G4 Quicksilver, a Power Mac 7300, and, relevant to this topic, a Macintosh SE. I tested all of the machines for them, and they all work. I am particularly looking forward to bringing the Mac SE home. :D

21. CaptMurdock macrumors 6502a

CaptMurdock

The oldest Mac I have is a Power Mac 6500. I booted it up last about three years ago.

I had a Mac Classic -- my first Mac. I have it to my nephew when I acquired a used Mac IIsi. I regret that now.

A friend of mine bought an SE in 1988. Its lithium clock battery, originally rated for six years, kept time until 2002. Now that's quality.

22. AVR2 macrumors 6502

Actually, probably not. See here, specifically the very last sentence.