1998 Think Different Book

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by jstahmann, Nov 10, 2011.

1. jstahmann, Nov 10, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2011

jstahmann macrumors newbie

I have a soft cover 11x14 book called '1998: The Year of Thinking Different.' It has 2 page layouts of each of the 1998 Think Different series including:

To The Crazy Ones
    Albert Einstein
    Mahatma Gandhi
    Pablo Picasso
    Alfred Hitchcock
    Rosa Parks
    Bob Dylan
    Buzz Aldrin
    Muhammad Ali
    Thomas Edison
    Martha Graham
    Jim Henson
    Maria Callas
    Dalai Lama
    Amelia Earhart
    Ansel Adams
    Joan Baez
    Paul Rand
    Miles Davis
    Lucy & Desi
    John & Yoko

On the last page it mentions "This is a limited-edition publication to commemorate the first year of the 'Think Different' series. It is not for sale or resale, and is only available to employees/affiliates of Apple Computer Inc."

A friend gave me the book many years ago, and with the recent discussions on the Think Different posters, I'm curious if anyone knows anything about these books (how many were made, what it could be worth). I haven't seen anyone mention the book.

Thanks!

2. cocacolakid macrumors 65816

cocacolakid

Very nice. I've never heard of one. Could you snap a picture? Curious what it looks like.

3. jstahmann thread starter macrumors newbie

4. steveca macrumors 6502

I have one like that... It was part of the Think Different campaign. Very interesting stuff indeed. Dont think it costs over 500 dollars but the value is surely on the way up like all meaningful mac stuff

----------

there are a lot of posters as well. Very expensive indeed but most of them are fakes...

5. cocacolakid macrumors 65816

cocacolakid

6. Dillenger macrumors 6502a

Dillenger

Maybe Apple could release a copy of it for iBooks. :D

7. Tiggs, Nov 12, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2011

Tiggs macrumors 6502

I've still got several of those books around. They were very nicely done although they pick up fingerprints very easily. The books were free giveaways at an Apple Event held at the Flint Center back in the day. Everyone in attendance was able to get them as they left. Many thousands were made. 500+ seems crazy to me for a value on one from that amazon link which is probably why its still available. Suppose I could throw up one of my extras on ebay at no reserve and find out ;)

Edited to add: Checked the bay quick and saw someone had a beat up one sell for 190 BIN. Would guess 250+ for a mint one but figure most have been worn a bit by now.

8. 95yjman macrumors member

95yjman

9. applefan1234 macrumors newbie

Tiggs,

I would defiantly buy your Think Different book, if the price is right! (Nothing over 120)

10. mkjj macrumors 6502a

mkjj

I've got a couple of these as well but never paid more than £25 GBP for one. The $500 version is cashing in on SJ, not worth it!

11. jbclie macrumors newbie

Tiggs,

I know it's been a few years since you mentioned the Think Different book from the ad campaign on here, but I was wondering if you still had a copy or two left that you may want to part with?

I'm reading the latest SJ bio 'Becoming Steve Jobs' and they mentioned the making of the book and it's significance. I'd really like to get a copy if you still have any. Thanks.

12. negot8or macrumors newbie

I still have a box full of these. Been waiting for the free-roaming ones to get destroyed and the value to rise. :)

13. jbclie macrumors newbie

Mind if I buy a copy off of you?

14. negot8or macrumors newbie

Come find me on reddit - same username. I don't know what the rules are here for this kind of thing. :)

15. sasilvenis macrumors newbie

--- Post Merged, Oct 27, 2016 ---
    Let me know the price for one or two.

16. negot8or macrumors newbie

Sorry. I don't know the rules for selling on this forum. I'm on Reddit with the same username. Please PM me there.