1998 year G3 iMac... running perfect.

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by California, Jul 27, 2008.

1. California macrumors 68040

California

I bought this used machine for a friend in 2004. A 233mhz iMac G3.

Had it upgraded with a partitioned 80gb hard drive and had 384mb of ram put in.

Just want to say, I upgraded same friend to a 400mhz/dvd/cd 512 ram Tiger iMac G3 and got the old one back.

I am amazed that this runs as well as it does. No firewire, but it is just an astonishing piece of equipment. It is going to another friend's daughter.

A little issue with firmware in the hard drive that luckily I had some old OS 9/OS 10.1 discs lying about, but Apple rules. Legacy ten year old Macs?

Running Panther like a champ. Unbelievable.

2. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

Those iMacs were built to last. My old 1st Gen iMac G3 has only just bitten the dust. It was becoming too slow to use as an every day computer (running 10.4, mind), so I started using it as a music server. The 24 hour days must have been too much for the logic board.

My 2001 TiBook is still going strong. 768mb RAM, original 30GB HDD, CD/DVD reader, Airport, FW400, and gigabit ethernet. Thats more than some PCs come with now :D

The display is looking a bit sad, though...

3. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

i just bought an old imac g3, its awesome. im also amazed how well it works...