1and1 vs. HostGator

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by wrldwzrd89, Aug 26, 2007.

1. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Anyone heard of either of these two hosting companies? My web site is currently hosted with 1&1 but their support is horrid, and their scripting support isn't so great either. I'd like to switch, but I was wondering if anyone here knows about HostGator, and can tell me whether switching to them is worthwhile, or whether a different host would meet my needs better.

I wish to use the web host for a Legend of the Green Dragon (LotGD) game server, if that gives you a sense of what my needs are.

2. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i've been w/ HG for 3 years. good uptime, good features, good prices. the forum is active.

for issues, email response is informative but may take a bit. online chat, obviously, has better response time but my experience there varies w/ the knowledge of the person on front-line defense.

overall: very good.

3. FoxyKaye macrumors 68000

FoxyKaye

San Francisco, Terre d'Ange, Bas Lag, Gallifrey
    We're with MediaTemple and in the same boat is you - their GridServer must be made of toothpicks, chewing gum and 9V batteries and support is somewhere in the 7th circle of Hell.

I did a lot of reading MR forums, a few posts and talked with our two web development consultants - the two that seem to have shaken to the top (at this moment, in this time) are HostGator and RackSpace. We're planning to move to one or the other at the beginning of the year - folks had decent enough stuff to say about both, with the commonality being that both seem to actually still answer the phone with technical support calls.

4. wrldwzrd89 thread starter macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Thanks for the feedback, guys. This was exactly what I wanted to know. My research has told me that I should be able to switch whenever I'm ready to, without any downtime.:D

5. '73-B macrumors regular

I've been with Host Gator for 2 years now. I've never once had a problem with e-mail or downtime. Speed is good and the prices are are competitive.

Just my 2-cents...

6. Mac In School macrumors 65816

I'm currently working on a blog project where I compare 4 of the big-name cheap-o Web hosts, including the two mentioned here.

I don't want to give away too much info until it's all done, but I will say that Host Gator beat 1&1 in 3 out of 4 my speed tests. 1&1 barely edged out Host Gator in FTP upload speed, but Host Gator creamed 1&1 in FTP and HTTP download speed.

I'll post a link to the entry when it's done. I have 2 more weeks of reliability testing to do.

Sorry, but that's all I will say on the subject until it's ready to post.

7. angelneo macrumors 68000

I tried MediaTemple as well, I managed to transfer to another hosting company before my 30 days guarantee is up. I used to think they were pretty good, but not anymore.

I have used Hostgator before, didn't really have any bad impression of it though.

8. complexcommunic macrumors regular

Hey, sorry to dig up an ANCIENT topic, but I'm looking to compare 1and1 and hostgator specifically, and macrumors is really the only forum I trust these days... All the regular hosting forums are filled with people from the companies so they're incredibly biased.
    Does anyone have any experience with 1and1 VPS? I've been using them for just a beginner shared host, and they're... well, they're alright.
    And what about hostgator VPS?

Thanks guys, and please forgive me for posting in a three year old topic :-X

9. cmm macrumors 6502a

mt has great marketing.

complexcommunic: Go with Linode. Hands down the best VPS out there. If you decide to go with them, please use my referral code (send me a PM).