Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
My 1g 5gb iPod seems to be on it's death bed. The battery was shot so I ordered one from MacResQ and installed it, works fine great battery life.

My problem is that I can't connect my iPod to my Mac. (PowerBook G4 12" 867mhz DVD-R 40gb 640mb RAM, AirPort, BT - OS X 10.3.8) I connect a known good FireWire cable from the PowerBook to the iPod and nothing happens, I know the FireWire port on the PowerBook works since I use it with my external hard drive all the time. I have Firmware 1.3.1 I think on my iPod. No iPod labeled FireWire Disk drive shows on the desktop, no iPod shows up in iTunes, no iPod shows up in Disk Utility, BUT, in System Profiler it says 'iPod' under the FireWire section. I don't know what to do.

I've tried a reset, and I've gone into the diagnostic mode, all the tests seem to pass. I have some music on here that I need to save, but 80-90% of it is backed up. The iPod works fine otherwise and plays music perfectly. I just need to connect it to my computer to put my newly purchased iTMS songs on my iPod but I can't. Whenever I connect my iPod to the Mac it says 'Ok to Disconnect' I've tried this on 3 Macs already, the iPod won't mount on anything so I can't even restore or update the firmware.

I think the last Firmware for my generation iPod was 1.4 correct?
Well if anyone would be able to help me out it'll mean the world to me, I'm going on vacation and would like to transfer my new music to my iPod before the 5 hour plane ride :(

Maybe if I can just take out the hard drive and connect it using an external enclosure, but I'm pretty sure they aren't the regular laptop IDE drives so that would prove troublesome. I have around $199 so I can get a new iPod Mini, but you know I would like to be able to sync/transfer things on my iPod, then I wouldn't have to buy another.

Any Ideas? :confused:

iPod: 1st Generation Mac 5gb
Computer: PowerBook G4 12" 867mhz (Rev A - Mac OS X 10.3.8)

MemphisSoulStew

macrumors regular
May 10, 2004
UK
1G iPods have a potential problem with the Firewire port - the connections from the port to the main board can snap. They can be repaired though; PDASmart will do it for $55.

This happened to my 1G and I find that if I connect it and hold the cable in just the right position the iPod is recognised, but I have to keep holding it while it updates.

wnameth

macrumors 65816
Nov 18, 2004
Canada
I had the same problem, so i sold it, it turns out the guy I sold it to got it working, just open it and re-solder the firewire port back onto the mother board.

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
wnameth said:
I had the same problem, so i sold it, it turns out the guy I sold it to got it working, just open it and re-solder the firewire port back onto the mother board.

Odd but the FireWire port lets the iPod charge (If I remember correctly), I guess it can't transfer music. I'll try and open it up today and see what I can do. Thanks so much! :D That would explain why sometimes I can transfer music and sometimes I can't.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I had a similar problem with a infrared mouse years back, plugging it into the USB port was fine; the infrared light came on but the mouse would not move.

i believe some wires were connecting but others wern't; loose connection!

soldering it back on should be fine.

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
I taped the FireWire connection with some tape so the wire is bent a certain way, it sort of works since it shows up in iTunes and on the Desktop. But, it gives me an error about removing the FireWire device and then I can't do much.

Thanks anyway :D

fanbrain

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2005
So. UT
I've had the same problem. I simply turned my computer off and let it sit for a few minutes, then turned it on and tried again. That seemed to fix it. I thought a shock from static electricity had killed it, but it was just a simple reboot.

Sounds like you have an entirely different problem though.

Gizmotoy

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2003
LimeiBook86 said:
I taped the FireWire connection with some tape so the wire is bent a certain way, it sort of works since it shows up in iTunes and on the Desktop. But, it gives me an error about removing the FireWire device and then I can't do much.

Thanks anyway :D

Then you've just proven that it is the firewire port that is messed up. If you tape it and it shows up on the desktop, you just found your solution. Unfortunately, tape is a very poor solution for fixing this kind of problem, so I'm not surprised it disconnects. You see, the connection, even with the tape, is not stable. The slightest movement caused the wires to come apart, hence your disconnection error message.

It sounds like if you just solder the connections you will be fine. I assume since you used tape in the first place you may be a little timid in firing up a soldering iron on it. I'd recommend getting it to someone comfortable with it, cause it should be an easy fix.

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
Well I got it open. The iPod's guts are on my kitchen table and I'm transfering all my music from my iPod to my PowerBook. After this I think I'll go buy the new iPod Photo $349 eventually, I mean I've been looking for a time to upgrade and my mom says she'll buy mine off me as long as I can load her songs on there.

I popped the iPod open with a razor blade and I have the FireWire cable held to the table in such a way that the Mac is able to connect to it. I'll get my music off and I think I'll restore it for use with it's new owner.

Thanks a lot guys, anyone think Apple will update the iPods? I know there were recent price drops but, I'm still a bit worried.

Many thanks to you all again. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.