1G iPhone users keep plan!!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by zap2, Jun 9, 2008.

1. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

http://www.electronista.com/articles/08/06/09/att.iphone.3g.plans/

Good Stuff

I have yet to seen this posted, and people seem to be making a big deal of it, so I though I'd start a thread.
    That said, it pretty much ensures I'll be upgrading.

2. cWeems macrumors 6502a

cWeems

will have to change if they get the new iphone tho

3. zap2 thread starter macrumors 604

zap2

where do you see that?

That article says they will be grandfathered, and keep paying the same price as long as they keep the contract, which they got when they bough a 1G iPhone.

Isn't this the same as voice plans?, AT&T ups them, but if you signed when prices were lower, you keep the old prices as long as you keep paying AT&T for that contract.

4. mtfield macrumors 6502

Yes that's true but the whole this is that when you buy the new iphone you are FORCED to sign a new contract in the store.. therefore voiding your old one and sticking us with $10 more a months... oh well could be worse!

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

It was also my inference that the "grandfathering" was only for using the 2G / EDGE iPhone -- when you activate an iPhone with AT&T, you have to chose an iPhone plan via iTunes, right? So the way they seem to be describing it, as long as you don't activate a new iPhone, you can keep using the plan you have now. But if you go and buy a 3G iPhone, it has to be activated, and you'll need an eligible plan, which won't include the current pricing grandfather plans, and then your new contract extension will come with new pricing?

Speculation at this point, but that sounded like what they were saying.

Who knows what happens if you unlock an iPhone and try to use it with an existing iPhone 2G plan, though...

But then I haven't ever actually set up my iPhone with AT&T. Am I correct about how it works?

6. waterskier2007 macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

cant you buy the new one and take your old sim and put it in the new phone and plug it in and it should be activated? or am i wrong

7. Lord Egregious macrumors member

Does this mean to get a hold of the 20 dollar edge you need to hurry up and buy a 1gen iphone and register? I don't have 3G or an iphone at the moment but am on att with a blackjack.

8. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

No, because you'll be forced to activate the new iPhone is store - tying you to the new contract.

9. cgray24 macrumors member

Not for the subsidized price of $199, which states on the apple iphone page
    "Requires new 2-year AT&T rate plan, sold separately.". Meaning you will have to sign a new contract paying the higher fee. This is typical cellular company activities, nothing new. You want newer equipment, you have to agree to stay longer, else it is no value to them to subsidize the phone.

10. zap2 thread starter macrumors 604

zap2

Rereading it, yea it could be taken that way, its not 100% clear.

But if it is, how is it even grandfathering....its just "If you don't buy the new iPhone, you keep your old contract" or "EDGE iPhone has one set of plans, 3G iPhones have another set"

11. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I think it's grandfathering in the sense that the old plans just don't exist anymore -- i.e. if you went and got a 2G iPhone now or tried to activate yours with AT&T, perhaps they would charge you the new plan rates even with the old phone? :(

12. FSUSem1noles macrumors 68000

FSUSem1noles

Just got off the phone with a rep..

If you want Unlimited Data and Text it's going to be $50 plus voice package..

3G starts at $30, that doesn't include Text, text plans start at $5 for 200, $10 for 1500 and $20 for Unlimited..

I think I'll stay with my G1 and current plan, Thank you very much Apple and AT&T..

13. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

if you have to change plans I am just going to take the hit on dropping my plan after buying the phone, and then I'll unlock and use on tmobile. 40+10 plan. Itll pay for the early termination fee in a few months. This is so bogus

14. FSUSem1noles macrumors 68000

FSUSem1noles

To upgrade to the new phone they're basically forcing you to change plans.. how nice of them.