Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dangerdog

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 23, 2009
Hi, I have a 1st generation iPod Nano here, and when I connect it my Macbook the device icon shows up on my desktop, but not in iTunes. I have the latest version of iTunes, Mac OS X 10.4.

I've read many articles on Apple's support site but the information didn't seem recent or wasn't specific to my needs. I couldn't really find anything that works. Any ideas?

It would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

dangerdog

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 23, 2009
Really? There's absolutely no information regarding a solution to this problem? Interesting.

Any other forums you guys would recommend I take this problem?

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Stop bumping your own thread. Sometimes people aren't around (holiday time for some) and your questions can go unanswered for more than a day. I know I rarely see many answers to questions I ask right away.

However, you need to downgrade iTunes I think. I searched google for other forums that may have answers to your question and found some good results.

First link buddy. :cool:
http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=1st+gen+nano+itunes&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

weeknoxy

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2010
Dangerdog.

I had the same problem. Follow this link

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1363?viewlocale=en_US

and follow the instructions to put the ipod nano into disc mode while not connected. When you see the tick symbol connect to your computer. If you cant get the nano in to disc mode just keep trying - its all in the timing - it took me about 10 goes. Once you connect the nano will be detected and you will be asked to update your ipod software. Once this is done the ipod will reset itself and when it comes back online it will be recognised in iTunes.

Good luck.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.