1G iPod shuffle On the Way Out?

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
7,437
8,501


The Street speculates that the 1GB iPod shuffle is to be replaced or removed from the Apple product line, based on growing evidence:

* A survey of Apple retail stores.

* Apple's online store, which still says "Currently Unavailable" for the 1GB iPod shuffle, as noted in mid-December.

* The unavailability of this iPod model at major retailers, including amazon.com.

This further supports previous rumors that Apple will introduce new iPod shuffles at Macworld San Francisco.
 

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
8,643
0
Well yeah, there's obviously a change in the works since they stopped taking new orders when the supply ran out.

AvSRoCkCO1067 (below) said:
I wonder what the survey of Apple stores had to do with...
They just call up stores and ask "got any shuffles in stock?" It's not really a poll for inside info.
 

AvSRoCkCO1067

macrumors 65816
Sep 6, 2005
1,403
0
CO
I wonder what the survey of Apple stores had to do with...

I thought most of those employees had absolutely no idea of what Steve had in mind...
 

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
36,044
3,259
Los Angeles
Presumably the shuffle itself isn't going away, just the 1GB model. Perhaps a new larger model will move into the $129 price point.
 

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
6,639
2
New 1 GB shuffle at $99. The 512 MB model gets discontinued.

Did I mention 30% smaller too...
 

samh004

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2004
2,211
85
Australia
Hmm... they can't really make the new model 2GB as then it'd be the same as the nano, unless they plan on upgrading the nano too, but so soon ?

Lacero said:
New 1 GB shuffle at $99. The 512 MB model gets discontinued.
That sounds more plausible.
 

gangst

macrumors 6502a
Dec 27, 2004
614
0
UK
Maybe Apple are going to do away with just the 1GB model, in the hope that it will increase sales of their 2GB iPod Nano.

If they replace the iPod Shuffle and increase the storage capacity surely it will be too close in price and spec to the iPod Nano.

But, I could see the iPod Shuffle getting a redesign at MWSF, I'm just curious what will happen to the 1GB model.
 

36183

Guest
Jun 24, 2004
418
0
wouldn't it have made more sense if they continued to sell the ipod shuffle at a lower price until they release the new model. and they are only a few things i could see a new model bringing.
those being

- lower prices
- smaller sizes (something that can fit into most usb ports without blocking another one)
- more colours ( such as black and white like the rest of the ipods)
- longer battery life (12 hours for flash is poor, and maybe apple will start using the quick charge batteries that sony are using)
- and a few things that they forgot to add earlier (such as a internal clock)

i doubt that they will discontinue the shuffle but i could see them adding something that no one will expect to attract attention towards to product. i personally think they will dramatically lower prices to compete with cheaper non-branded flash devices.
 

d.perel

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2005
204
0
I bought the 512mb shuffle because the price point was right at $99 for such a bare-bones player. $149 is really too much for anything without a screen. Whichever model gets dropped, the 149 price point has to go
 

nichos

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2004
372
0
Jacksonville, Fl
It would be nice if they bumped the size of the shuffles, and then bumped the size of the nano's to atleast the size of the mini, which it supposidely replaced!
 

hyperpasta

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2005
680
0
New Jersey
d.perel said:
I bought the 512mb shuffle because the price point was right at $99 for such a bare-bones player. $149 is really too much for anything without a screen. Whichever model gets dropped, the 149 price point has to go
In July, Apple dropped the 1GB model's price to $129, which is much more reasonable.
 

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
6,639
2
d.perel said:
I bought the 512mb shuffle because the price point was right at $99 for such a bare-bones player. $149 is really too much for anything without a screen. Whichever model gets dropped, the 149 price point has to go
Which is why I doubt Apple will introduce a 2GB shuffle at the $129 or $149 price point. Most consumers would rather step up to the $199 nano. One GB flash memory sells for about $40-50 retail so I figure Apple gets it for a lot cheaper.

But with 1 GB of music, it might be too arduous to navigate songs without a screen, so Apple might introduce a new shuffle with an extra button or feature to traverse multiple playlists.

Here's to the Crazy Ones
 

hyperpasta

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2005
680
0
New Jersey
So far, we have rumors for:

- New Super-Thin Intel iBooks in 13" and 15"
- New Media Center Intel Mac minis
- New Super-Thin Dual Core Intel Powerbooks with iSight in 13", 15", and 17"
- New iPod shuffles (smaller, black)
- Modestly bumped iPod nanos (3GB and 6GB?)
- "iPod Boombox" of some sort
- New AirPort with 802.11n, Video Streaming
- iLife 06
- iWork 06 with "Numbers"

Wow. Some keynote.
 

BlueRevolution

macrumors 603
Jul 26, 2004
6,054
1
Montreal, QC
what if the intent is to do away with the shuffles altogether and expand the nano into the price bracket instead? it would certainly solve the shuffles with screens issue...
 

36183

Guest
Jun 24, 2004
418
0
hyperpasta said:
So far, we have rumors for:

- New Super-Thin Intel iBooks in 13" and 15"
- New Media Center Intel Mac minis
- New Super-Thin Dual Core Intel Powerbooks with iSight in 13", 15", and 17"
- New iPod shuffles (smaller, black)
- Modestly bumped iPod nanos (3GB and 6GB?)
- "iPod Boombox" of some sort
- New AirPort with 802.11n, Video Streaming
- iLife 06
- iWork 06 with "Numbers"

Wow. Some keynote.
i am guessing that even if all those porducts were released in january that some new released would not be mentioned in the speech, such as a nano bump.
 

Viewtiful Rich

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2005
101
0
Lacero said:
New 1 GB shuffle at $99. The 512 MB model gets discontinued.
That's what I'm thinking as well... if that happens I'll probably get a new one and give my old shuffle to my brother, he needs something besides a CD player.

I love the shuffle and will most likely stick with them (as long as they don't get rid of it), it's wonderfully small and I just don't care what happens to it... trying to keep a nano nice would drive me crazy (I hate cases/holders). I have a mini that I never use (got free with my iMac), just seems to big after starting with a shuffle.
 

hyperpasta

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2005
680
0
New Jersey
bobx2001 said:
i am guessing that even if all those porducts were released in january that some new released would not be mentioned in the speech, such as a nano bump.
That's true.

Personally, I think we won't see the iBook released until a few months after MWSF. The dual-core (read PowerBook) Yonahs are coming first, and the Mac mini doesn't have to be sent out right away. If Apple ships a stunningly thin laptop with a dual-core chip and a built-in iSight, it will instantly convert those PowerPC fanboys to Intel and make everyone very excited indeed. The iBook will be more powerful than the current one, but not jaw-droppingly so.

In addition, there is nothing to substantiate the iPod boombox rumor, and the report was vague.
 

reyesmac

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2002
371
53
Central Texas
Once a shuffle gets past 1gig it really needs to have some sort of screen. They should integrate the shuffle into a cell phone battery and create a way to make it work thru the phone.
Ideally, I would like the shuffle to be small enough to clip on your ear. Or integrated inside of really cool headphones.
 

36183

Guest
Jun 24, 2004
418
0
hyperpasta said:
That's true.

Personally, I think we won't see the iBook released until a few months after MWSF. The dual-core (read PowerBook) Yonahs are coming first, and the Mac mini doesn't have to be sent out right away. If Apple ships a stunningly thin laptop with a dual-core chip and a built-in iSight, it will instantly convert those PowerPC fanboys to Intel and make everyone very excited indeed. The iBook will be more powerful than the current one, but not jaw-droppingly so.

In addition, there is nothing to substantiate the iPod boombox rumor, and the report was vague.
about the powerbook being the first machine to go intel. it is possible but it think that a lower end machine should be the first to go intel because pros would not want to deal with half of their applications not working on their laptop (or just working very slowly) and then by the time that the higher end machine become intel most proswould have started using intel application and such because of the impact the relase of the first intel mac will have on the mac software market.
 

Some_Big_Spoon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2003
855
0
New York, NY
Cept the shuffle's smaller, lighter, and more durable by far.. scratches don't effect it's usage.

I have a shuffle, a nano, and a video ipod, each for different situations (overkill, clearly), but honestly, I don't give a toss about new ipods, I want fast, light, and fast laptops ASAP.

Object-X said:
Why not just a lower capacity Nano? They should just get rid of it.
 

dejo

Moderator
Staff member
Sep 2, 2004
15,725
447
The Centennial State
Some_Big_Spoon said:
...I don't give a toss about new ipods, I want fast, light, and fast laptops ASAP.
Okay, I think Apple can do fast, light laptops. But fast, light, and fast laptops? That's crazy talk! :D