1G Ipod Touch water damage advice ?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by jems87, Oct 25, 2009.

1. jems87 macrumors newbie

Okay, so today it was raining a mess outside and my ipod touch just happened to fall into a puddle of water. I quickly removed it out of the water. And turned it on to see if it was okay. The screen came on and everything seemed to work fine until i played music. the volume sounded very low and I also noticed that the volume controller wasn't on screen anymore. So I figured that I'll just do a systems restore and everything should be okay with my ipod touch. I got home plugged my ipod touch in. And started a system restore, everything was going fine until itunes reported that the systems restore could not finish. So this is where I think i made my mistake, I unplugged my ipod from the computer and re-plugged it in. It attempted a system restore again and then it did the same error as before. So i unplugged my ipod and noticed that it started going in a loop from the apple logo to the restore screen (the usb icon pointing towards the itunes icon). So now it's stuck in this mode and I have no idea what could possibly be my next step. Also I did take it apart (since it's out of warranty) and found some water droplets on the inside of the back of the case and the water damage indicator has turned red. So if anyone has any ideas on what I can possibly do to kick start my ipod back into it's normal routine then thanks.

2. RKO macrumors 6502

RKO

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=583925&highlight=water+damage+ipod

There is some helpful hints in this post about drying the iPod out first. There are numerous other posts you could also search for on the forums.

3. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

Whatever you do, STOP TRYING TO USE IT.

turn it off, put it in a bag of rice for a week and let it try to dry. Then try stuff.

Sounds like you might have had a chance to get it working, I don't know about all you did though. But the threads linked should help. Do not ignore the let it dry out part of the equation.

Good luck.

4. jems87 thread starter macrumors newbie

Does i have to be a bag ? Because I have it covered in rice in a rubbermaid container.

5. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

That is fine! (provided it's on all sides and bottom)

For myself - i'd still be hunting for a bottom and lid that went together :D

6. jems87 thread starter macrumors newbie

One week later...

*And from the magic of time* It's been a week now and I started up my ipod and the low battery icon showed. It charged and it continues to perform the apple logo to restore screen loop. Any suggestions? It can't be "broke" because it still comes on right ? Also, Itunes can read that ipod because it's stuck in that loop. Any help please?

7. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

I am not versed in the tricks of the "hold this button while chanting this and standing on one foot while on a purple stool and plugging while also drinking a mt. Dew" :D

sooooo, have you hunted out the instructions for putting it in dfu mode?

8. jems87 thread starter macrumors newbie

update

Okay so It's been a couple of weeks and my Ipod touch is still looping. I've tried the dfu mode but I honestly can't tell if it'll work since the time frame from it start to the restore screen is so quick. Or if I'm even doing it right. Any ideas. Heres a link to the video I uploaded to Youtube so everyone knows what my situation looks like.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pB5NOxCxQo

Any help would be great, I'm stuck with this 1G Ipod shuffle and it's driving me nuts!

9. mrbass macrumors member

My sister had same crap her iphone 3G dropped by one of her kids so they said not covered so she had to buy a new iphone 3G for like $500 or was it $600 I forget. Then she just like 3 or 4 days ago also must have got it wet from moisture (still unknown exactly where). So her hubby took it in to apple store and they said it's gone and not covered so another $600 or whatever it was for an iphone 3GS. Her "broken" iphone 3G still turns on but screen is blank but you can synch and everything. I think Apple opened it to see the thing turn red (indicating moisture) and didn't reconnect the display correctly but screw it just another $500 tax write off.

Basically moral of this story is NEVER EVER buy apple care crap fake me out warranty cuz if you do your throwing your money away. They don't even cover you under initial warranty. I had same crap with macbookpro sent in to get fixed and they say nothing wrong with it hitting 80 C' and sounding like a jet engine....hmmmm yea nothing wrong with it hitting 150 freaking degrees apple your so lame with warranty service.