1G Itouch battery indicator and reboot issue

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by pavilm, Nov 5, 2011.

1. pavilm macrumors newbie

My son's 1G 8g Touch has two issues going on with it, don't know if they are related or can be fixed / improved.

First off, the battery always indicates minimal charge ie just a sliver of red, it can be fully charged and will last a fully charged amount of time but looks like it is out of juice.

Second and more important. The Itouch just randomly reboots... it makes a beep noise then goes to the Apple logo reboot. All the music and apps stay, just makes it frustrating to use.

Any ideas on either of these problems? I have someone who can fix/repair...just wondering if it's worth the effort.

2. TheSuperSteve macrumors 6502

Have you tried restoring it to default settings on iTunes? You might want to reinstall its version of iOS. (Not sure which one 1Gs use. 3.1.3?)

If that doesn't work, then it might be going to the big iDevice heaven. Its served you well for this long. Might as well get a 4th generation version since their price has dropped. You'll enjoy all the new features for sure (If you haven't experienced iOS 5 already i mean).

3. nickn macrumors 6502

As already stated, try a restore on iTunes. That may fix both issues. Report back what happens!

4. Thetonyk123 macrumors 68000

Thetonyk123

Restore as new hopefully your son won't be disapointed if his game progress is lost.

5. pavilm thread starter macrumors newbie

Trying Restore

It keeps making the sound like its going through the reboot problem during the restore... still looks like the restore is proceeding.We will see what happens. Got a feeling it's a hardware issue. It's nice having the whole family with Itouch's (5 of us), we can synch our calendars, which is nice.

6. pavilm, Nov 5, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2011

pavilm thread starter macrumors newbie

Appears to have worked

After a couple tries, the restore went all the way through and now my Battery seems to indicate the actual charge level and so far ..... no reboots.

Thanks

Uh oh... seemed to go through a random reboot during the first sync up with PC.... and the battery went back to looking how it did before.

7. Thetonyk123 macrumors 68000

Thetonyk123

have you tried fully draining it and fully recharging for the meter?

Also the iPod is getting old, it soon might be time for an upgrade.

How much is the person charging for a repair?

8. johnhw macrumors 6502

Well, the iPod Touch is only being used by his son with only few games. I don't think he needs to upgrade (well, the new ones are $199 so why not).

I also suggest draining it and fully recharging the battery. (Play a looped video until it dies).

9. Thetonyk123 macrumors 68000

Thetonyk123

10. callum23 macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I think it's time to buy a new one