1G Slow and Music App crashes

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by ryannazaretian, Dec 30, 2009.

1. ryannazaretian macrumors 6502a

ryannazaretian

Ever since I installed OS3, my iPod Touch has almost been useless. It's slow to load everything including safari, settings, weather, you name it. Then I keep getting really weird bugs like my status bar not rotating with the iPod.

IMAG0031.jpg

Now half of my music won't play. When I try to play it, the Music app just quits (I'm guessing it's crashing). I tried to restart, but that didn't fix it. I've tried doing a full erase and restore without any luck before. It's up to date. Is it OS3, or my iPod giving me trouble? It's not jailbroken, and I don't have a ton of apps.

Here's a video of it:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0NYaeX3FSc

I've about had it with Apple. My MacBook Pro is about to be shipped back due to the wireless card dropping a connection, dust under the screen, and Windows locking up, and now the iPod touch which is just over a year old.

2. tadad1 macrumors 6502a

tadad1

You seem to be having a bad run. When upgrading to 3.1.2 I had similar problems after restoring from backup so restored as a new device and it has been as good as gold since.

3. dvdhsu macrumors 6502a

dvdhsu

Yeah, try restoring it, but then don't use any backups.

4. ryannazaretian thread starter macrumors 6502a

ryannazaretian

I'll try to do a full restore and see how it goes. I downloaded the 3.1.2 OS again and it just finished the restore. I'll see how it goes.

Are there any good websites to download an older version of the OS? I'd rather take it back down to version 2, or even version 1 where everything worked as it should. I really don't use any apps except the Weather.com app, but I can easily get around that.

5. dvdhsu macrumors 6502a

dvdhsu

Here.

Good luck too.

6. ryannazaretian thread starter macrumors 6502a

ryannazaretian

Perfect! Thanks!

7. ryannazaretian thread starter macrumors 6502a

ryannazaretian

No luck downgrading. It just gives me an error when restoring.

8. dvdhsu macrumors 6502a

dvdhsu

When you downgrade firmware, you have to first but the device in DFU mode. Google how to do it, I'm on my phone so I can't link you.

9. ryannazaretian thread starter macrumors 6502a

ryannazaretian

OK, I read up more on it, and I saw that I had to download firmware 1.1.1 first, then I can upgrade to whatever firmware I want from there. Seems to be updating just fine now.

10. ryannazaretian thread starter macrumors 6502a

ryannazaretian

I never was able to downgrade it. I put it into DFU mode, and it acted like it was restoring it, but it failed half way through every single time. I put 3.1.2 back on it, and it seems to be working better. Even stranger is that iStat is showing twice as much RAM as it did before.

11. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

12. ryannazaretian thread starter macrumors 6502a

ryannazaretian

It's not worth it. It's out of warranty, the capacity is too small for my wants, battery life is beginning to get worse, the closest Apple store is over an hour away. Plus, it's working right now.

I'm really just waiting on the appropriate time to buy a new one. Money is tight right now since I don't have a job and I'm about to go back to college. It's already been said that the 3G iPod Touch has a spot for a camera, but it wasn't included for unknown reasons. The next version will likely have a camera, and I see it as a very good upgrade from my 1G model and I will kick myself for buying one now, for the new one to release along side the Tablet in the upcoming weeks.