Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Enrico

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 6, 2007
Milano / Roma
Hi guys! Has anyone confirmed the availability of the 1GB for $20 for new subscriptions with Verizon?
This plan would be very convenient as opposed to the $15 for 250MB with AT&T....

Xscapes

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2011
New York
Hi guys! Has anyone confirmed the availability of the 1GB for $20 for new subscriptions with Verizon?
This plan would be very convenient as opposed to the $15 for 250MB with AT&T....

Yes,but you have to activate it yourself on iPad and heres the result i got in NY.

Oenym.png

Xscapes

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2011
New York
I wonder if this plan will stop after you reach 1GB, or it will charge another $20 for 1GB. Is said N/A on Rate after allowance.

Ccrew

macrumors 68020
Feb 28, 2011
I wonder if this plan will stop after you reach 1GB, or it will charge another $20 for 1GB. Is said N/A on Rate after allowance.

It's all you can eat, they'll happily take your $

Tests we ran you can use up the 2gb LTE plan in 8 minutes if you try :)

Ccrew

macrumors 68020
Feb 28, 2011
Like streaming HD video? Who actually stream HD video on their iPad with limited data.

We were doing it moving video files up and down from Dropbox just as a test for LTE. I work for a media organization, we've been hammering on the 3 for the better part of a week.

MartyXB

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2011
We were doing it moving video files up and down from Dropbox just as a test for LTE. I work for a media organization, we've been hammering on the 3 for the better part of a week.

Any idea how much data streaming eats up while streaming video. would 2 or 3 or 5 gigs be enough if one streans one or two movies (~90mins each) a week along with normal usage, like email and web browsing?

Ccrew

macrumors 68020
Feb 28, 2011
Any idea how much data streaming eats up while streaming video. would 2 or 3 or 5 gigs be enough if one streans one or two movies (~90mins each) a week along with normal usage, like email and web browsing?

On a 2gb data plan we realized that we could max the plan out midway through streaming the third HD movie.

Pretty scary, huh?

100Teraflops

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2011
Elyria, Ohio
I signed up for the 1 GB plan and I am using my MBP and iPhone 4s on the included hotspot. Pretty cool to say the least. I will not stream any HD content as I want to use my data for other things. The pre pay process is painless and very simple, but one has to read the fine print though! I have conducted some speed tests and your speeds in NYC and Beantown rule! My speeds are no where close to yours West of Cleveland. But clearing 10 down and around 5 plus up every time I have tests it. :)

bossxii

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
Kansas City
Here in KC I'm on Verizon LTE getting 10 to 16mbps and it's faster than my home 25mbps connection. The down side of course all the new found speed makes it to easy to enjoy your mobile device and blow thru data in mere minutes. Few speed tests and tested some HD video and YouTube and not even trying ate up 600mb of the 1gig. Until they have 20 or 30 gigs available at reasonable rates LTE is like a Bugatti sitting in the garage and no paved roads to drive on. Kind of a waste. :confused:

100Teraflops

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2011
Elyria, Ohio
Here in KC I'm on Verizon LTE getting 10 to 16mbps and it's faster than my home 25mbps connection. The down side of course all the new found speed makes it to easy to enjoy your mobile device and blow thru data in mere minutes. Few speed tests and tested some HD video and YouTube and not even trying ate up 600mb of the 1gig. Until they have 20 or 30 gigs available at reasonable rates LTE is like a Bugatti sitting in the garage and no paved roads to drive on. Kind of a waste. :confused:

I hear you! I blew thorough a couple of hundred doing the stuff you did. I turned it off awhile ago. Have you used the hotspot feature yet? I blew through most of my data testing out the hotspot capabilities. I had two devices plus my iPad downloading at the same time.... Poor Verizon. :D Or poor me for wasting data? :(

Data is not cheap and one doesn't realize how much they use on a daily basis. Food for thought people!

Last edited:

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
If Verizon were to offer unlimited 4G service for about $50 or $60 per month and you lived in a good coverage area -- I don't know whether I'd get 4G or not -- people would be dropping DSL and cable like crazy. I'm paying $40/month for 6Mbps, and it's that cheap because I'm bundling and bought it before the price hike.

I'm sure Verizon would renege on that deal once I started all my downloading around here, but it sure would be sweet.

Nautilus007

macrumors 68030
Jul 13, 2007
U.S
4g

I don't know if i can do with 1g of data, these tablets are awesome but the only thing i hate is that you have to worry about data

Sith Vol

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2011
Memphis, TN
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B179 Safari/7534.48.3)

I got a question. I'm new to having a cellular data iPad. I got the Verizon iPad today. I haven't signed up for a data plan yet but I'm curious as to whether or not the plans auto-renew or it just shuts off data until you renew it? I'd prefer to be able to choose what I want to do when my plan expires.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B179 Safari/7534.48.3)

I got a question. I'm new to having a cellular data iPad. I got the Verizon iPad today. I haven't signed up for a data plan yet but I'm curious as to whether or not the plans auto-renew or it just shuts off data until you renew it? I'd prefer to be able to choose what I want to do when my plan expires.

It auto-renews by default on the same day each month, but you can cancel or change your plan at any time.

coolbreeze

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2003
UT
Okay. No biggie. Just buy an AT&T sim card and use it in the iPad to use AT&T HPSA+ network

This. This is exactly why everyone should buy a Verizon iPad. It really makes no sense by the AT&T version in my opinion.

RetiredInFl

macrumors 68020
Jul 7, 2008
FORMERLY NJ now FL
Okay. No biggie. Just buy an AT&T sim card and use it in the iPad to use AT&T HPSA+ network
If you are saying to buy an ATT sim for the Verizon iPad unfortunately despite what the "Front Page" says, it won't work. You can't activate an INACTIVE ATT iPAD SIM on the VZW iPad nor can you RENEW an already active once once it expires. It gets rejected as an unknown device by the iPad. Same thing if you activate it online. Won't work.

All the "successes" have been with already active ATT SIMs either from an iPhone or an existing iPad (after changing the APN).

They need to correct the "Front Page" because it is spreading only partially correct information.

bossxii

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
Kansas City
If Verizon would allow unlimited plans for the iPad at even $75 to $100 a month I would do it. I spend nearly 65 for my home and LTE is faster by far, thank you for sucking AT&T Uverse. 24mbit plan and tough to get 8mbps down. This LTE service is running an easy 12mbps to 20mbps at my house and around the metro area. Not to mention 90% of my web, video and email is done on my iPad.

If only...

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.