1GB or 2GB RAM in new macbook?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by BigDave48, Jun 5, 2007.

1. BigDave48 macrumors newbie

Hello all,
    I've been a regular reader on the boards, but now I am a first-time poster. I have a question about how much RAM I should get in a new macbook:

I'm a grad student and use my computer for Internet, e-mail, Word, Excel, Powerpoint. I never do anything with videos, photos, etc... I do, however, use the basic apps regularly and intensely.

So, will 1GB of RAM suffice for my needs or should I just upgrade to 2 GB? Will it make any difference with Leopard?

Thanks in advance.

2. holamiamigos macrumors 6502a

1 gb for sure... i have it and i do the same things as you and it works great!... in my opinion 2 gb would be overkill..

3. iKwick7 macrumors 65816

iKwick7

Sounds like 1 gig would be perfect for you.

2 gigs is minimum for me and many others, but I do a lot of rendering, photoshop, 3d modelling, etc.

4. BigDave48 thread starter macrumors newbie

Awesome! Thanks for the replies. I think 1 gig will suit my needs.

5. Igantius macrumors 65816

It's dead dead easy to install RAM in a MacBook yourself, so even though you've got no real need not, that option is open in the future.

6. BigDave48 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. Yeah, I was looking on the crucial site earlier and saw that a 2GB kit for the macbook is only $87. That could be a pretty inexpesive upgrade later.

7. Dynamyk macrumors 6502a

Dynamyk

1 GB will suffice and you'll run everything fine, but you still see a big big difference between 1GB and 2GB even when running simple applications.