1GB Ram from OWC Good or bad?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Tangerine, Apr 28, 2007.

1. Tangerine macrumors regular

Tangerine

Have anyone buy Ram from OWC? How are the quality? Any problem with it? It look a lot like Apple Ram with proper Heat Sink. Price is a lot cheaper then Apple. I'm thinking of getting this 1GB set soon 2X 512MB really soon!

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other World Computing/53FB512D1GBK/

What does everyone think? Please help me make the right choice. This is my 1st time upgrading Mac Pro ram because I been waiting for a good after market one. After get this, do I stick the Ram at the top slot or the bottom?

Thank You

2. KershMan macrumors 6502

I have two 1 GB sticks in my iMac and have had zero problems with them. I have had them about two weeks. They were very competitive price wise, and a number of people have posted to these boards previously about their quality.

OWC has been selling Mac components/upgrades for a long time and are a very reliable vendor.

3. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

i got my 2x1GB set from OWC. no problems, fair price, good quality. go for it!

4. subwarm macrumors member

subwarm

Had a bit of a problem with 1gig ram sticks for my Powerbook 1.25ghz from OWC. I had to send back two sticks before getting one that actually worked without kernel panics in the machine (and yes I know how to install ram).

To their credit though - the customer service and returns department was very friendly and accommodating which is why I didn't totally freak out at two separate returns.

Vin

5. beatzfreak macrumors 6502

I also had a bad stick of 1gig ram from OWC.

They sent me out another one right away. Customer service was excellent.

All my macs have OWC ram in them.

6. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

I have bought 2-300 sticks of ram from OWC, with only 2 bad ones over the past 8 years. They immediately replaced them free of charge and even paid the return shipping too :)

I also had 4 sticks I bought for a friend that turned out to be the wrong type/size/speed, and they gave me a no-questions-asked full refund in 4 days on those too!

7. DVvM macrumors newbie

I always get confused when I try to buy third party RAM, maybe one of your guys could help me out. I have an iMac G5 (the kind with the ambient light sensor). It currently has an empty DIMM and a 1 GB stick (from Apple) in the other slot.

If I'm buying OWC RAM, I think the one I want is: http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other World Computing/3200DDR1024/

But on the other hand, it says it "requires pairs!". What does that mean? Does that mean I can't use it with the Apple stick I have in there now? Or is the fact that they'd both be 1 GB be enough? Can someone help me?

8. akadmon macrumors 68020

I bought 2x1GB by Techworks from OWC ($220) for my Mac Pro and it's working fine. I think the 2x512MB is a poor deal -- you can get an additional 1GB for less than half the price of 2x512MB.

9. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

That is what you need. The "requires pairs is only for the PowerMac G5s, not the iMacs so you don't need to worry about anything.

OWC has a very good reputation in the Mac community.

10. Tangerine thread starter macrumors regular

Tangerine

One more question, do I stick the 2X 512MB on the Top Ram Riser or the bottom when I get it?

Thanks!

11. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

The reason for that was that the first 2 sticks you got were not compatible with processor slewing. It's critical on Powerbook G4 15" 1.0 and 1.25 and 17" 1.0 and 1.33 machines that you do NOT get the RAM that is compatible with the rest of the Powerbook G4 line, but get the special RAM that is for those 4 models.

Thanks,
    Trevor
    CanadaRAM.com

12. akadmon macrumors 68020

Assuming you have only 2x512MB now, you should put your new sticks in slots 1 & 2 of the bottom riser. There is a diagram on the inside of the side panel that explains the order in which memory should be added.