Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

redhatcode29

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 21, 2014
Kuala Lumpur
Hi guys,

I have been wanting it for some time, but the lack of the need or the use of it to me, had kept me away from the Mac Pro, not mention the tag on it!

But i couldnt resist this one! It was a dream that i was dreaming of. In my part of the world, its common for folks to mistaken the Power Mac G5 for a Mac Pro and tagging it with the price of a Mac Pro.... BUT this was the reverse ( i believe so !)

Stumbled upon this while doin my daily routine of scanning for Macs ....I saw this ad for approximately usd 113.00. Which is not something which i could pass.....and yeah the Mac was still available and kicking !

Managed to get it for approx USD 68.00, still on tiger with 1 gb ram, 2.0 xeons. The external being neglected of care, while the inner parts were soaked in dust !!

I dnt have any specific use for it, just to add more junk.....

So wht i would like to know is.... Whether 1gb of ram is going to be too laggy for 10.6.8..... Any views will b much appreciated.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 245
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 173
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 175
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 174

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
It won't run perfectly, but my first C2D Unibody MacBook had only 2GB RAM and that ran Snow Leopard silky smooth, like absolute butter. Shut down instantly and everything was so quick. However 8GB/16GB RAM is only about ~£40 for that model anyway so it's worth at least chucking up to 4GB IMO.

NOTNlCE

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2013
Baltimore, MD
It won't run perfectly, but my first C2D Unibody MacBook had only 2GB RAM and that ran Snow Leopard silky smooth, like absolute butter. Shut down instantly and everything was so quick. However 8GB/16GB RAM is only about ~£40 for that model anyway so it's worth at least chucking up to 4GB IMO.

I would almost certainly pick up a bit more RAM. As stated, It's very cheap on Ebay if you go for used server memory (non-Apple RAM) and get sticks that are 2GB each or smaller. 1GB is a bit low for just about anything, personally, I think 4GB is the minimum for any modern system.

redhatcode29

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 21, 2014
Kuala Lumpur

True.... Just that its (6 x £40) which is equals to RM 240.00 excluding shipping... Ha ha.
I am planning to get those extra rams, but not now, thus i am weighing the options in installing SL with the 1gb.

redhatcode29

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 21, 2014
Kuala Lumpur
I would almost certainly pick up a bit more RAM. As stated, It's very cheap on Ebay if you go for used server memory (non-Apple RAM) and get sticks that are 2GB each or smaller. 1GB is a bit low for just about anything, personally, I think 4GB is the minimum for any modern system.

Noted, perhaps, ill install 10.5 for the moment......since my hands are itchy and i know that Leopard can make do for 1gb, since the MP is goin to do nothing pretty much.

redhatcode29

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 21, 2014
Kuala Lumpur
used server memory (non-Apple RAM) and get sticks that are 2GB each or smaller. 1GB is a bit low for just about anything, personally, I think 4GB is the minimum for any modern system.

Hey that sounds like a solution.... I thought PM will not make do with normal server rams.... Thanks for pointing it out .

Last edited:

redhatcode29

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 21, 2014
Kuala Lumpur
hi, i am trying to do a clean install of snow leopard from a usb which i created with disk utility. the usb is fine, if i click it the disc installer appears. but when i restart for a clean install (pressing "option" only the HDD appears...the usb does not appear...a bit strange,,,,any ideas. thanks.

redhatcode29

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 21, 2014
Kuala Lumpur
I had also problems creating a bootable USB drive with a Snow Leopard installer and can't remember what finally worked. I think I used Lion Disk Maker 2.0.2 and it worked if I chose 10.7, but I am not sure.

http://diskmakerx.com/whats-this/

I c, so i m not the omly one ! I do have the Diskmaker but ddnt try it as it obviously for lion.... But since u say it might work, ill give it a shot. Thanks !

redhatcode29

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 21, 2014
Kuala Lumpur
Ok....the USB is sorted...it now appears..but upon selecting it, there appears a no entry logo in grey....... doe this mean the install image is bad or HDD is not detectable .... but this hd boots 10.4

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Ok....the USB is sorted...it now appears..but upon selecting it, there appears a no entry logo in grey....... doe this mean the install image is bad or HDD is not detectable .... but this hd boots 10.4
Are you starting from a retail version of 10.5 (black disc) or one specific to a given Mac (grey disc)?

PowerMac G4 MDD

macrumors 68000
Jul 13, 2014
I have used Core 2 Duo iMacs (the original 2006 models) with 2GB of RAM and Lion; they actually ran considerably fast, considering that they were running Lion: a relatively heavy Mac OSX version that Mountain Lion was an improvement upon in every way.

I think I've used Snow Leopard on 1GB of RAM or so, and it's not bad. However, I'd advise at least 2GB. I have a 2007 Blackbook with a 2.0Ghz Core 2 Duo and 2GB of RAM, and it runs nicely. Your 2.0Ghz Xeons will handle it well, and maybe a GB or more of RAM will be even better. Snow Leopard is relatively light-weight.

If you want to get modern use out of it, you COULD even get a better GPU (along with more RAM) and bring it up to El Capitan. IDK how the 2.0Ghz model will handle it, but it should be relatively okay - especially with an SSD. Note that I'm running El Cap on mine, but that mine is a 3.0Ghz model, which is a significant speed bump from 2.0Ghz.

It's still better than a 2.0Ghz Core 2 Duo iMac, though, and those already run nicely for their age.

redhatcode29

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 21, 2014
Kuala Lumpur
Are you starting from a retail version of 10.5 (black disc) or one specific to a given Mac (grey disc)?
Its a retail disc, not black though. Its not the grey disc, i have had my share of the grey disc issue ! Its similar to the one below...

image.jpeg

Last edited:

redhatcode29

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 21, 2014
Kuala Lumpur
Sometimes it helps to repair the USB installer using Disk Utility. Are you using a retail disk image?
It is a detail disc... I believe the usb was properley created as the installer appears when i click the thumb while i am in Tiger...

Maybe i should try again from another Mac..

image.jpeg

redhatcode29

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 21, 2014
Kuala Lumpur
Thank you guys.... its resolved. First issue was the usb thumb, secondly the Mac which i was building the thumb had some issues...... tried to build the thumb from another Mac....Whooola ...Thank God, the installer started !

Now i have a clean install of 10.6 ....until i get more rams, the Mac Pro shall rest !
The amount of Joy in looking at the clean install... :) :) :) :)

Screen shot 2015-11-22 at 11.00.54 PM.png

CapnDavey

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2015
I have 10.6.8 on one drive I had Lion on another drive but it failed i'm running Yosemite and Mavericks on it

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.