1GB vs 2GB GPU for Multiple Displays

Discussion in 'iMac' started by seepel, Dec 30, 2011.

1. seepel macrumors 6502

seepel

Hello all, I've been trying to find an answer for this and can't seem to find anything substantial... just some side mentions in some forums and a brief sentence on anandtech saying that the 2GB GPU would only be useful for multiple displays. So if I wanted to hook up 2 27" ACDs to the 2011 iMac is the 2GB GPU really necessary? I ask because the price difference between a refurbished iMac with 1GB GPU and getting a new one with 2GB GPU is about $400. So would it be worth it to buy the new one?

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

You can run three displays off of the 1GB GPU just fine but you may benefit from the extra VRAM if you do something graphics intensive. Hence the question is, what will you do with it?

3. seepel thread starter macrumors 6502

seepel

Sorry, should've put that in my original post. I'll be doing mostly Mac/iOS development. Thus far, nothing graphic intensive, 2D games and utility apps. Though I may in the future want to do a 3D game. Still targeting iOS or maybe the Xbox 360, so not super duper intensive I assume. What sorts of use cases would make the 2GB GPU necessary?

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Mainly video editing, rendering or multi-display gaming. Sounds like you're fine with the 1GB GPU if your usage is what you described. Not worth $400 at least.

5. seepel thread starter macrumors 6502

seepel

Thanks for confirming my suspicions. It's always hard to talk myself out of these "what's a few hundred more dollars..." scenarios.