1GHz 12" PBG4 swapped to 1.5GHz!

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by gavinstubbs09, Jan 29, 2015.

1. gavinstubbs09 macrumors 65816

gavinstubbs09

Finished the swap today, and was quite easy. Really the only difference was the modem yet everything still screwed in the correct place. The 1GHz casing was pristine and the 1.5GHz was tore up.

The first things I've noticed comparing the two, is that first the 1.5GHz is a million times faster, and second the fan is only on when it needs to be but the 1GHz ran the fan 24/7. Everything works as it should and the 2005 model has the same GPU but 64MB, 167MHz bus vs 133MHz, and two finger tap/scrolling. Definitely a plus in my book.

Another quick difference on the 1.5's structure, there are little tabs the cable can run under. The 1GHz didn't have those, making it a pain to organize and keep tidy.

So anyone can do this as it's super easy, just make sure it is not a 867MHz model!

Attached Files:

2. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Did you have to swap the top case from the 1.5 to get 2 finger scrolling to work or did you use the 1 GHz top case?

3. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

I wonder that as well, wouldn't be surprised if it's a software limitation.

4. gavinstubbs09 thread starter macrumors 65816

gavinstubbs09

I swapped the top case from the 1.5 although nothing looked different about it. The next time I have to do something on the inside I'll use the 1GHz cover and see!

5. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I believe the two finger scrolling had something to do with later models not being based off of ADB or something like that.

6. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

Check the pinout of the trackpad cable and see if it matches. If it does, more likely than not the limitation is software.

7. poiihy macrumors 68020

poiihy

Why does MacRumors always make big vertical images sideways?

8. weckart macrumors 68040

Two finger scrolling used trackpads based off the USB bus, I believe. This is why iScroll doesn't work on the later iBooks/Powerbooks.

9. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The top case for the 1.5Ghz 12" Powerbook is different than that of the slower 12" Powerbooks. If you don't use the correct top case for the logicboard's speed, the trackpad doesn't work. You won't hurt anything, it just won't work.