Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The Shadow

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2003
Sydney, Australia
I must admit I don't think the eMac looks ugly.

But clearly Apple are struggling to work out this whole clean minimalist design idea, clearly influenced by Steve. What is best of class on the iBook, doesn't work on well on the bigger eMac.

Which makes me wonder if this is why the PMac case has not been fully updated for so long. You probably couldn't have an all metal look like the PBooks, would probably look ugly on such a big beast.

So I'm expecting a much smaller revision of the PM case when the 970 hits, and therefore fingers crossed something really radical can be done.

Can't wait.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Originally posted by arn
There's already been an announcement. Jobs said that After Jan 1, 2003... all new macs (and faster revisions of current macs) will not boot os 9.

arn
Right now it is using the same chipset as the old SDR PowerMacs (UniNorth/KeyLargo), if it is a major upgrade to DDR it'll probably switch over to the Intrepid DDR chipset like the PowerBook did.

So it it is a switch to the new Intrepid chipset, it won't boot OS 9 -- just like the DDR iMac and the DDR PowerBooks don't.

If they do this switch it should be easier for Apple to keep the features in line with the iMac, and upgrade it quicker.

Of course there is always the possibility of just a speedbump for another upgrade cycle (like the iBook).

GregA

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2003
Sydney Australia
old Mac OS clients

Originally posted by voicegy
It's G4 all the way now, which makes more sense to the entire lineup. And yes, us Education folk are still going to be able to boot into OS 9, but Steve is so anxious for us poor folk to get on the OSX train and deal with the future, that this new eMac line up just MIGHT be the end of that option for Education...we've heard it was coming soon, they may allow it through the end of the year...but I've heard June to be the cut off too often to not discount it.
If Apple would just release remote terminal access to MacOS X, the old MacOS 8/9 stuff could run as thin clients.
... Hell.. if they did that though they could release thin client hardware, wireless/diskless/ibook clients, even Windows box software as clients... but the money is not in selling large quantities of low margin stuff right?

yzedf

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2002
Connecticut
Originally posted by firestarter
Hopefully they'll all go extreme.

In a mixed environment (lots of computers on the same wireless network) the network switches down to the speed of the slowest. So if Apple wants to push extreme for education, they really need to be releasing all products with extreme.

I think the eMac on extreme is a good sign for iBooks...
That is the fault of Apple, not the spec. The spec states that everything is supposed to co-exist all happy like, without speed throttling down due to a mixed environment.

I believe that Linksys / D Link etc are also having the same problems.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.