1mbps on iPhone 4

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Kauai, Jan 14, 2011.

1. Kauai macrumors 6502a

I'm getting 1mbps on my iPhone 4 according to the speed test app while on my computer I get 10mbps according to speedtest.net and 24mbps according to speak easy. (Perhaps there is a MBps and Mbps disparity, not sure for the reason) but either way I can easily stream anything on my computers while on my iPhone I can NEVER get a youtube video to show. My 3G is faster than my wifi on my iPhone as sometimes I'll load a HQ video from wifi then switch to 3g and it will stream fine.

What on earth could be causing this?

I have an airport extreme.

2. Kauai thread starter macrumors 6502a

Changed my DNS server after an hour of doing research and it seems like it may be fixed. Getting a good 8-14mbps now. Why would the default DNS server do that?

3. The Kryptonian macrumors newbie

The Kryptonian

How did you change the DNS and what adress did you use?

4. Kauai thread starter macrumors 6502a

And the results get even more weird. I was getting only 5mbps on my iPad with the same DNS Server (10.0.1.1) and then I changed it to the same one I used on my iPhone (208.67.222.222) and now I'm getting 19-21mbps but my ping increases slightly. My upload speed doesn't change.

I'm not at all tech-savvy. Perhaps my dual band router has different DNS servers for Wifi N and Wifi G? Since I've heard 5ghz is faster (Mbps) but has less range(increased ping) Or am I way out of the ballpark?