1password 3

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by soup4you2, Oct 28, 2009.

1. soup4you2 macrumors regular

Is it possible to import your previous OS X Keychain into 1-Password 3 beta?

I would really love to test out this application, but if i cannot import my existing information it's pretty much a deal breaker.

2. dws90 macrumors regular

I think the confusion is coming Agile's statement that you need to switch from the Mac OS keychain to the Agile Keychain in 2.0 before upgrading to 3.0.

Originally, 1password stored its information using the built-in Mac OS keychains. Eventually, they decided this was limiting them, and decided to create their own "Agile keychain" format. 1password started using the Agile Keychain a while ago, but it was necessary for existing users to upgrade the Mac OS keychain storing their data to the an Agile keychain. If you're an existing 1password user, this must be done before you upgrade, or else (apparently) bad things will happen.

However, if you're not an existing 1password user and you're just using the Mac OS keychain to store your passwords through Safari, you can just start with 1password 3. It'll use the Agile keychain format by default, and is able to import your passwords from Safari.

3. soup4you2 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, I have not used version 2 so i'm still on the basic Mac Keychain. How would i go about importing the sites from safari?

secure notes i can do manually, but web passwords there are way to many to do manually.