1Password 30% off Sale

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Azzin, Oct 19, 2014.

1. Azzin macrumors 68040

I've been using this on my iPad & iPhone and have been really impressed with it.

I grabbed the 30 day trial for my MBP and became even more impressed with it, so much so I was going to buy the full version for £35 or so (I had £18 in my iTunes Store account).

So I decided to pull the trigger this morning and get it, only to be met by a message that they were having some kind of "Launch Celebration" sale, so it was now £24.99 (30% off).

I presume the same applies for the rest of the world, so if you're thinking about getting 1P, I'd say now is your time!

2. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

I like 1Password. It's just a pity that version 5 (latest) is crashing on Yosemite for me.

3. Azzin thread starter macrumors 68040

Is that the version from the App Store?

Mine worked ok this morning.

4. theSeb, Oct 19, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2014

theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

No, it's the version from the web site. Version 4 works, but sometimes the agent crashes. It also takes ages to start up in comparison to how long it took in Mavericks.

Immediately after I upgraded to Yosemite, it popped up that version 5 is available. So I downloaded and let it update. After that it would not start at all. I then deleted everything to do with AgileBits and 1Password in ~/Library/Application Support.

This time version 5 would start, and told me that it found my vault in Dropbox. Great, I thought. I told it to proceed and entered my master password. It opened and it was empty, which was worrying for a moment. I double checked on other devices and everything was still there.

As soon as I clicked back on 1Password on the problem Mac, it prompted me for a password, so I entered my master password and it would just sit there and not do anything. No, incorrect password message or anything. I clicked on Preferences and the sync tab was just blank. I then deleted version 5 and the Application Support stuff and reinstalled version 4. It works, but not 100% correctly, as mentioned in the beginning

Edit: it looks as though my half broken Yosemite update was the culprit and 1Password 4 is now opening as quickly as it used to, so I am going to try and update to version 5.

5. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

And now version 5 works perfectly. Apologies for possibly causing concern with my previous posts.

6. pickaxe macrumors 6502a

Warning: 1Password 5's Webstore version has a massive feature regression. iCloud sync has been taken away with not plans on re-implementing it.

7. LV426 macrumors 6502a

If memory serves, apps bought outside of the App Store are not permitted to use iCloud. That's the way it is. One reason I'd always go for App Store versions if possible (as well as the common auto-update mechanism).

8. infantrytrophy macrumors regular

Sort of. But there is more to the story. Agilebits (the 1PW developer) had to make a work-around for Apple's policy regarding access to iCloud.

For the full story, see this link:

https://guides.agilebits.com/1password-mac-kb/5/en/topic/icloud-webstore-faq

9. Liam555 macrumors regular

Liam555

I use Locko, it's free and looks much cleaner than 1password. It is also updated for yosemite.

10. Zimmy68 macrumors 65816

Zimmy68

Another option would be to give registered users of the Web Store version a code for the App Store version, if requested.
    If it's a licensing issue, go ahead and revoke the web store one.
    Allow a one time switch, etc.

For some reason, that is never discussed.

Its the same product, right?

I don't use iCloud so it isn't a real issue but I had no idea 1Password had a separate App version when I purchased.

11. AGKyle macrumors 6502

If you're experiencing crashes please get in touch with our support team. Contact information is in my signature. Anyone here is also welcome to private message me the TicketID they get in the auto-response to me on here and I'll take a look.

Sounds like your crash is fixed though so this is more of a proactive "if you experience it do this" type of thing for you and others :)

This is correct. As someone else pointed out we worked around it to try to be helpful to customers who purchased from our site instead. But we never promised support for iCloud from the website version and our stance has always been to get from the MAS if iCloud sync was a crucial feature you needed.

This isn't really a feasible option. Millions of users means promo codes are not an option really. We get 100 promo codes per release of the application. 100 codes do not go very far when you have that many users.

12. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

Thanks, Kyle. Yes, for some unknown reason I ended up with half an upgrade where the system was convinced that I was running an early beta and 1PPro just wasn't happy.

To be honest, the other small issues should have me made me realise something was not quite right in the first place (Battery icon was weird and yellow, General icon in System Preferences was a gear instead of what it is supposed to be, the gear icon in the Finder toolbar was a weird colour, twice bigger than it should be and didn't work)

----------

I went for the family pack (if I recall correctly) from the website, because I can use 1Password both in OS X and Bootcamp and sync them with dropbox. Works well for me, until this morning, but as I explained, it was my issue.

13. jim.arrows macrumors regular

License "Downgrade"?

I'm going to post here since Kyle seems responsive and I opened a support ticket last week that customer service still hasn't responded to...

I'm a long-time LastPass user who has been interested in trying 1Password, so when I saw this sale here on Macrumors I decided to take the plunge and ordered it from the Mac App Store on my Macbook Pro's Yosemite partition.

Unfortunately, when I tried to install it on my Macs that are still running Mavericks (and which will continue to do so), I found I was unable to download the Mavericks compatible version. I had seen Kyle's recent posts indicating that purchasers of 1Password would be entitled to a free upgrade when the Yosemite version was released, but I failed to realize that the Yosemite version wasn't backwards compatible with Mavericks. Is there any way I can get a "downgrade" license for version 4 so I can run it on my other Macs? It's kind of useless in my current situation, as I'm only able to use it to log in from one of my 4 Macs.

Kyle, please PM me if you need my support ticket number or any additional information. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Jim

14. AGKyle macrumors 6502

Hey Jim.

This is super easy to resolve. Can you send me a PM with the support ticket id?

I'll respond first thing in the morning if it's waiting for me. I realize it's late now so you may not see this tonight. But whenever I get that ticket id I'll get it taken care of.

15. jim.arrows macrumors regular

PM sent, thank you for the quick response.

Jim

16. jim.arrows macrumors regular

Thanks

Kyle, I just got home and installed the license file you sent me, everything is working properly now. Thank you again for your help in getting this all sorted out, I really appreciate it.

-Jim

17. AGKyle macrumors 6502

My pleasure! Happy to help :)

Let me know if there's anything else I can ever assist with. Have a wonderful weekend!

18. Padaung macrumors 6502

Padaung

Hi Kyle,

I've already got 1Password installed on my Mac. I'm in need of another license for a Mac and one for Windows.

If I click on the Upgrade option inside my current copy of 1Password I get to see the upgrade prices. Now here's my question:

If I click on '1Password Mac + Windows Bundle' do I get a new/additional Mac license as well as a Windows license, or will it simply update my current Mac only license with a Windows licence? i.e by clicking on '1Password Mac + Windows Bundle' will I end up with a Windows license along with 1 or 2 Mac licenses?

I hope that is clear!

Kind regards,

Charlie

19. AGKyle macrumors 6502

Hi Charlie,

When you purchase an "upgrade" you're more or less getting a discount on another license. You're buying a license for whatever you purchase.

In other words. If you have 1Password for Mac and you goto the upgrade page and buy the Mac+Windows bundle you now have the original license (1) and the new Mac+Windows license (1 of each). That leaves you with 2x Mac and 1x Windows.

Hope that helps!

20. Padaung macrumors 6502

Padaung

Great, thanks :)

21. Sdtrueblue macrumors newbie

Purchased

Hi Kyle,

I've been using the 30day trial recently. I've enjoyed using the OS X version so much, I went ahead and just purchased. Thank you for the discounted price and for making such a great product.