[1Password 4] Application and Safari Extension

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Rockoar, Oct 8, 2013.

1. Rockoar macrumors regular

Rockoar

Hi there, I just recently upgraded from 1Password 3 to 1Password 4 (bought on the Mac App Store) and I'm having some issues with the application extension for Safari. I don't really know if this is an issue or a change in the behavior of this new version of the app. Whenever I try to unlock 1Password Safari's extension the application launches on my dock. With version 3 I was able to operate/open the Safari extension independently from the app.

Is there a way to fix this? Is there a way to open/use the extension without launching the application? I elected not to use 1Password mini in the Preferences tab from the application but even doing so doesn't stop it from launching every single time I close the application, is really annoying.

2. iMarc845 macrumors member

iMarc845

Out of curiosity, have you sent this question to AgileBits? You're more likely to get a satisfactory answer if you address it directly to them.

3. forza69 macrumors 6502a

forza69

Just out of curiosity, is there a particular reason why you don't want to run mini? Try reinstalling the extension. I don't have 1PW running on my dock and I'm still able to use the extension without it opening.

4. Xe89, Oct 8, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2013

Xe89 macrumors regular

The extension doesn't have its own UI as in version 3. Its only function is to fill things. So you need 1Password (main) or 1Password mini open, or it simply can't work. The button only acts as a link to 1Password mini. 1Password mini provides the UI. This also means the extension button is not needed, because the 1Password mini icon in the menubar does the job. The extension itself is still needed of course.

You can try 1Password 4's extensions on Safari, Firefox, Chrome and Opera. They all look the same because of this. It's a massive improvement in my opinion (I should mention I'm an 1Password fanboy). The version 3 extensions were similarI, but not identical. The Firefox extension was really slow for example.

I also wonder, why not have 1Password mini running?

5. Rockoar thread starter macrumors regular

Rockoar

Thanks for all of your responses. I have reconsidered and I'm just going to let the 1Password mini run on my menu bar. I just didn't felt it was useful but now I understand it is more useful than having the extension button on Safari or any other browser.

Just one more question, is it possible to move it on the menu bar? I don't seem to be able to position it wherever I want like I can with my other icons…

6. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

CMD+click, this should allow to move the icon to where you want on the menu bar.

7. Rockoar thread starter macrumors regular

Rockoar

That's what I was trying to do but apparently it is not a choice with 1Password mini? I have the same 'issue' to move the Dropbox icon. I'm only capable of moving the default icons as well as the iStat menu icon.

8. iMarc845 macrumors member

iMarc845

You're right. I've tried to move several of my custom installed menu items; only iStat Menus and the Apple items will move with a CMD+Drag.

9. forza69 macrumors 6502a

forza69

As iMarc845 said, it's not possible to move the icons in the menubar unless they're stock icons.

10. emseven macrumors regular

11. Rockoar thread starter macrumors regular

Rockoar

Thanks once again for all the info, guys. I'll leave the icon on the menubar just where it is and save me those 15 bucks for now ;).

12. Sital macrumors 68000

Sital

You can try DelayedLauncher. It's free and it works.