Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

AgileBits today announced a new Mac version of 1Password, its popular cross-platform password management app. 1Password version 6.0 for Mac includes several new features like an All Vaults view, a new password generator, and iCloud sync for all versions of the Mac app.

1Password's new "All Vaults" view allows users to see all of their passwords and password vaults at a glance, both in the main 1Password app and the menu bar view. Many people use vaults to organize and share their passwords for different purposes, so this will be a handy feature for accessing the passwords from multiple vaults without needing to switch back and forth. All Vaults also incorporates information from the Teams Beta, and there's a new Teams-only mode.

allvaultsplusteams-800x447.jpg

Along with a new vault view, the new 1Password update introduces a revamped Strong Password Generator that brings it inline with the 1Password for iOS app. Included is a new wordlist password generator with a "Words" option to create a password that is composed of random words. Wordlist passwords are useful because they're much easier to remember than a random assortment of characters, but are no less secure.

newpasswordgenerator-800x426.jpg

For people who use the non-Mac App Store version of 1Password, there's an important new feature - iCloud syncing. Apple previously did not allow non-Mac App Store apps to sync with iCloud, but changes to CloudKit have now allowed AgileBits to implement iCloud syncing for the version of 1Password purchased directly from the AgileBits Store.

Being able to sync a non-Mac App Store app with iCloud is an achievement that took quite a bit of work to implement, and it's something that other non-Mac App Store Apps don't yet feature. As AgileBits explains, the feature in 1Password is built using CloudKit web services.

In addition to these new features, the 1Password for Mac update includes a long list of bug fixes and feature improvements, which can be found in AgileBits' full change log.

Customers who own the non-Mac App Store version of 1Password can update to 1Password 6 immediately. AgileBits is waiting for the Mac App Store version to be approved, at which point those customers will also be able to upgrade at no cost.

1Password can be downloaded from the Mac App Store for $49.99. [Direct Link]

The accompanying 1Password iOS app can be downloaded from the iOS App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: '1Password 6' for Mac Brings Revamped Password Generator, iCloud Sync for Non Mac App Store Version

Reactions: appledefenceforce

Taylor-C

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2011
UK
What are the benefits of 1Password over iCloud Keychain? I used the 1Password trial last week but found it really annoying to use compared to iCloud Keychain... Maybe I did something wrong...

Edit: for use for only saving and entering passwords

Last edited:

easheer

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2010
What are the benefits of 1Password over iCloud Keychain? I used the 1Password trial last week but found it really annoying to use compared to iCloud Keychain... Maybe I did something wrong...

If you're only using it for saving and entering passwords, 1Password is overkill in my opinion. Using 1Password in favor of iCloud Keychain just to manage web site passwords would be far more onerous for this function than using iCloud Keychain, which is baked into the OS.
[doublepost=1452636086][/doublepost]
iCloud sync is only available in the App Store version already since 1Password 5.

Yes, I'm aware of that. I don't have the App Store version.

ryanasimov

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2007
I've always used Dropbox for 1Password syncing because you can access your keychain file from a computer that doesn't have 1Password installed (using a browser). Does iCloud syncing make the keychain available for that, or is it buried somewhere in the "Data and Documents" portion of iCloud?
In other words, can I get to my 1Password keychain via iCloud Drive in the Finder?

skinned66

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2011
Ottawa, Canada

In your use case probably not many.
  • Cross-platform synching (i.e. Windows) - which may be of no interest in your case
  • Non-Safari browser integration on desktops and via activities in iOS
  • Strong password generator
I can't think of much else in your scope off-hand. Perhaps someone else can add.

easheer

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2010
Wow, at the iCloud syncing on the non-MAS version. I wonder how many other apps are going to get this option, and whether there'll be more leaving the MAS because of it.

It's a very good possibility since it seems there are already some major (and smaller) developers frustrated with the App Store and its lack of evolution.

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
Out of the Reach of the FBI

I would love to be able to only use iCloud Keychain, but there are a several reasons why I have 1Password.

• There are websites that won't allow iCould Keychain to populate their fields. 1Password gets around this.
  • If a website is set up with a two page login you can configure 1Password to work with it, whereby iCloud Keychain generally won't.
  • If I am using an app on my iPhone, and all else fails it's really easy to get to 1Password to copy and paste my passwords.
  • With iCloud Keychain the suggestion is what it is, and you cannot edit it. With 1Password I can edit the suggested password before sending it to the web form. This is very helpful if the website in question insists on you using a special character.
  • 1Password allows you to use the same vaults on Windows as OS X and iOS, as long as you use Dropbox to synch. I don't use this functionality, because I don't want my passwords stored in Dropbox. But if you're stuck on Windows at work you can use it to still get to your password vault.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
I would love to be able to only use iCloud Keychain, but there are a several reasons why I have 1Password.

• There are websites that won't allow iCould Keychain to populate their fields. 1Password gets around this.
  • If a website is set up with a two page login you can configure 1Password to work with it, whereby iCloud Keychain generally won't.
  • If I am using an app on my iPhone, and all else fails it's really easy to get to 1Password to copy and paste my passwords.
  • With iCloud Keychain the suggestion is what it is, and you cannot edit it. With 1Password I can edit the suggested password before sending it to the web form. This is very helpful if the website in question insists on you using a special character.
  • 1Password allows you to use the same vaults on Windows as OS X and iOS, as long as you use Dropbox to synch. I don't use this functionality, because I don't want my passwords stored in Dropbox. But if you're stuck on Windows at work you can use it to still get to your password vault.

Great analysis and pretty much the same reasons why I haven't ditched 1Password for using iCloud Keychain completely. However I think Apple has improved it since it was introduced and I feel like it's getting closer to the 1Password gains that you mentioned. But also, I don't need a synced password app for Windows myself.

V.K.

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2007
Toronto, Canada

great list. I would add that if you want to use browsers other than Safari then you can't use icloud keychain for auto filling passwords. 1password OTOH has plugins for all major browsers (I use Firefox). Also, although Taylor-C said that he only wants it for entering passwords to me the other capabilities of 1password is what really separates it from icloud keychain. I keep all my software licenses, bank accounts, credit cards (including contact phone numbers), membership info in 1password. very handy especially if you lose any cards. I also keep a bunch of secure notes. you can store secure notes in the keychain too but for some weird reason Apple didn't implement syncing of secure notes between devices.

Reactions: Fiestaman

Erdbeertorte

Suspended
May 20, 2015
Yes it's really great and again a free major version update like from 4.x to 5.x. :)

1Password seems to be the best. Many Linux users are requesting a native support in their forums.

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
It's a very good possibility since it seems there are already some major (and smaller) developers frustrated with the App Store and its lack of evolution.

I'm sure Apple is hoping that by putting Phil Schiller in charge of the App Store, he'll be able to save face with some of those developers. Time will tell. Schiller has always seemed to be more the type that would be more open to listening to the concerns of the Apple community anyway. Cue has always come off as the class clown to me (although I'm sure my perception of him is hardly accurate since if it were, he wouldn't be on Apple's Executive Team).

Quu

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2007
I expected 1Password 6 to be a paid update so I'm pleasantly surprised that it isn't. I bought 1Password 4 a long time ago and have received two free point releases now, quite happy.

Erdbeertorte

Suspended
May 20, 2015
It's a very good possibility since it seems there are already some major (and smaller) developers frustrated with the App Store and its lack of evolution

Yes.

I am not buying in the Mac App Store anymore (except new OS X versions). I don't like the connection to an Apple-ID and that Apple can always remove Apps and older OS X Installers.

When I changed the country I did not see my purchases anymore. Even if I bought them again and get that message that I don't have to pay for it, they are not in my purchase list and some apps are even not available in other countries. Luckily you can change back, but then you don't see the purchases you made in the other country.

That's all really annoying.

With the first Betas of El Capitan some of my apps did not work anymore and the App Store did not provide Beta Versions. One of them was very expensive. Luckily Apple refunded me the money, so I could buy the other version and upgrade to the latest beta.

1Password 6 now is also a good example against the App Store. It's still version 5.4 there, because they have to wait until it's approved. That would be bad if a new major OS X were just released and you have to wait for the app update.

I got free license keys from two developers for a non-AppStore version, that haven't existed when I purchased it. Seems many of them are not satisfied with it.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
Very cool! Probably my most used OSX app. IOS version is good too. An absolute must have!

Sure, is expensive upfront paying for both OSX and iOS ( full featured) versions but is worth the money.

I did find iCloud sync a bit unreliable - constant issues with authentication... But there's Dropbox - more reliable.

It would be nice to be able to have 1password logins sync'ed to safari keychain - but I doubt that is technically possible.

Last edited:

macjunk(ie)

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2009
How is this compared to LastPass ? LastPass seems to be a lot cheaper at 12$ a year....At 50 bucks a pop for 1Password, I could get 4 years of LastPass instead (and this means all the upgrades LastPass would get in those 4 years)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.