1password alternative?

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by theautopilot, Oct 19, 2013.

1. theautopilot macrumors 6502a

theautopilot

I need an app to securely store card numbers, door codes, passwords and all sorts of stuff really.

I used to use 1password, but they are forcing me to upgrade to a version that virtually the same. I think it's pretty average anyway. So is there a decent, if not better, alternative that cheaper (or even free)?

2. Bear macrumors G3

Are you being forced to upgrade? Or is there just the new version out there?

I've been using oneSafe, and it works well. The only thing missing are the browser addons for OS X, but those are being worked on right now by them.

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Just use the Keychain app that is already on your Mac as part of OS X. Open Keychain and click the file menu then new secure note. I use it for exactly what you just described and it works perfectly.

4. Bear macrumors G3

*Double checks forum.* That doesn't work on the iPad however.

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Woops.... :eek:

6. theautopilot thread starter macrumors 6502a

theautopilot

Well not forced, but basically dropbox changed their API a bit and they said we have to buy a whole new version of 1password to work with it. It's the most minor upgrade that requires the purchasing of a new app I have ever seen. I dont have anything against companies wanting to make money, but I'm worried about it happening again and it's pretty expensive for a simple app.

Also, I need something that works on the iphone too.

7. Bear macrumors G3

oneSafe works on the iPhone as well as the iPad.

8. hologram macrumors 6502

9. guy999 macrumors newbie

I like lastpass. I have it on my iphones/ipad/macbook/imac/ and my windows computers. free version is good, but i pay for it I like it so much... You might have to pay for it for iphone use?

10. Fatboy71 macrumors 65816

Fatboy71

I've used a few different apps like 1Password and none are as complete and polished as 1Password. Personally I would just purchase the new version and support the developer :)

With the latest version of 1Password, you can now use iCloud to keep all your details in sync on your Mac, iPhone, iPad. I now use iCloud instead of Dropbox. You basically go into the settings in 1PW and choose Sync, then you choose which service you want to use to sync you details with.

11. AGKyle macrumors 6502

I try to avoid "alternative" and "comparison" type of discussions but I did really want to chime in on this.

This application is by no means affiliated with AgileBits. We cannot vouch for what it does or does not do. We have not reviewed the code from this app, nor will we.

That all said, we strongly discourage typing your master password into anything other than 1Password.

Link for more details:

http://blog.agilebits.com/2013/03/06/you-have-secrets-we-dont-why-our-data-format-is-public/

"Without passing any judgement on any third party developers, we have to advise people to never enter their 1Password Master Passwords into anything other than 1Password."

12. theautopilot thread starter macrumors 6502a

theautopilot

Thanks for the replies. It's either going to be Lastpass or mSecure. I'm leaning towards mSecure.

Whichever I go for, I have to say that I think all the main players in this field have terrible UI's. I realise it's not the most important thing, but it would be nice if they put some effort in.

13. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

I'm biased, but I like DataVault. I liked it so much, that after doing a review of it on my own blog, I was lucky enough to be able to go to work for the company. We have some amazing new features ready to drop in DataVault 5, too, including automatic Dropbox sync across all platforms (great for those people who use an iPad and an Android phone), and the ability to upload files to your items.

14. badman89 macrumors regular

I would highly recommend 1Password. It's simply the most secure, polished and easy to use app in the market for password managers. It's literally my favorite OS X app as well as my favorite iOS app. I realize that it's expensive, but it's well worth the expense for the peace of mind that it gives you and for the fact that it just works (much like Apple products).

15. MuscleRumble macrumors newbie

Disclaimer: I'm one of the developers of tooPassword. Yes, we are in no way affiliated with AgileBits. While it's true that you should never enter your Master Password in anything you don't trust, I want to encourage you that we subject to the strict data protection laws in Germany and can be trusted. More information on http://toopassword.com/faq/.

If you're looking for an all-in-one solution on iOS (without having the Mac app), I'd also recommend 1Password 4 for iOS, because tooPassword offers read-only access. Otherwise it's your free choice.

16. shadow puppet macrumors 6502

shadow puppet

!Password has been my go to password app for quite some time. I actually own two versions, on from the dev and the other from the MAS. I can't recall exactly why, but I think it had to with update availability and special pricing at the time.

Having purchased my first iPad, I want to get the iPad version asap but after reading the problems posted at the Agilebits forum, I'm holding off. In light of these reports, I haven't installed my v4 upgrades on my Mac choosing to remain on v3. Unless there's a way to get v3 on my iPad, I have to wait. I know the dev has been working on getting things sorted out but it's a PITA going back to my MBP to look up passwords while using my iPad. I have no clue what I'm going to when out and about using my iPad.

My past history with 1Password has been great so I'm trying to be patient but it's frustrating. I may have to look into other alternatives and starting the tedious task of re-entering passwords and software serials. :(

17. theautopilot thread starter macrumors 6502a

theautopilot

Last pass had been updated. It's free, yet it's better in a many ways to the expensive ones mentioned in this thread. It also have a much better and nicer UI.

1password developers - get with the programme guys. You app looks like a windows mobile app from 2005.

18. deeddawg macrumors 604

I've been happy with eWallet from illiumsoft. Syncs phone, ipad, and macbook.

19. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

Very happy with PWSafe. Syncs across all my devices. Easy to use. Unlocks with facial recognition via Mobius.

20. .:Aleph:. macrumors member

What does that mean?

21. Adonnan macrumors newbie

The latest versions of 1Password work very well on my ipad, iPhone and Mac. You can even access it via browser on Linux. It's so easy my wife even uses it.

I'm glad to see keychain support for the new iOS and Mavericks, but 1Password is still king. Their iOS apps were not always great though.

22. MuscleRumble, Nov 13, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2013

MuscleRumble macrumors newbie

It wasn't clear if OP owned 1Password for Mac or used 1Password exclusively on iOS. Basically what I meant is:
    - If you have 1Password for Mac and just need read-only access on iOS, that's what tooPassword is for.
    - If you don't have 1Password for Mac or just want a full solution on iOS, I'd recommend 1Password for iOS.

23. saberahul macrumors 68040

Used to use OneSafe and loved it. Switched to Dashlane during beta time (have sync for life for free now) and use it a lot. Slowly moving to iCloud Keychain but will not give up Dashlane.