1Password Alternative?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ceezy3000, Nov 23, 2009.

1. ceezy3000 macrumors 6502

ceezy3000

Any 1password alternatives? other than the keychain are they any others with such good integration into safari?

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

There is KeyPassX, but I don't think it is nearly as good as 1Password.

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Depends on your definition of "good." Security-wise 1password and KeyPassX are at least equivalent. Too often proprietary implementations of encryption algorithms wind up in epic failure- KeePassX is open source and the implementation of AES is very transparent.

No Safari (or any other browser) integration, but the pessimist will say that's just one less weak point to worry about.

4. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

I referred to good in the overall sense. They are both very secure, but I really like 1P's browser integration.

5. professorjay macrumors member

I haven't tried it on Safari, but I use LastPass on Firefox and it works great. Can't say how it compares to 1Password but I love it. There's a Safari version of it too.

6. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Don't know how this works, but it's an alternative:

Wallet

7. Zortrium macrumors 6502

This would be easier to answer if you told us what's wrong with 1Password.

8. ceezy3000 thread starter macrumors 6502

ceezy3000

Nothing at all really, 1password is the standard im looking for other alternatives. I really don't feellike purchasing 1password 3 because i actually don't have that many passwords. And in regards to Lastpass it works really well actually except its complete unmac-ish if you know what i mean. I also don't like having my passwords in a server somwhere. oh and im downloading wallet right now :D

9. Zortrium macrumors 6502

1Password doesn't store your passwords in a server anywhere. Even if it did, though, the password file is heavily encrypted and (assuming your master password isn't easy to guess) wouldn't be useful to anyone who got ahold of the file.

The other nice thing about 1Password is that you can use it for storing a lot more than passwords -- I've got all my software licenses in mine (no more digging around for CDs or manuals with serials on them), as well as a lot of assorted sensitive data.

10. TonyK macrumors 6502a

TonyK

Before using 1Password I used Password Plus from DataViz. The information I store now in 1Password is so much more than I stored in Password Plus. The integration is wonderful and easy to use.

The folks who make 1Password have done a wonderful job. Why not pay them for their effort?

11. Dae macrumors regular

Dae

KeePassX is crap. Bugged, slow, bad looking UI typical for ported apps, doesn't support newer file format of the original KeePass on Windows + no solution available to read its database on iPod/iPhone.

1Password is great, the only thing I don't like is a pre-defined logic of storing passwords (i.e. I'd prefer to configure templates by myself).

12. jon08 macrumors 65816

I apologize for jacking this thread, but I'd just like to ask a quick question. I might be buying 1Password, and was wondering if it's recommended to disable OS Keychain if using 1Password? Since lots of online passwords etc. are already stored in Keychain, wouldn't someone (if for example your MBP got stolen) be able to just gain access to the passwords or whatever info in Keychain and thus avoiding having to access 1Password for that matter?

13. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

In 1P 3, IIRC, the default is to store the passwords in the Agile Keychain, not OS X's.

So you can empty the OS X Keychain and just use 1P.

14. jon08 macrumors 65816

I see. So if I install 1Password, all the passwords will only get stored there and NOT in Keychain as well?

15. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Correct. Unless you choose to add them to OS X's keychain separately.

16. jon08 macrumors 65816

Thanks!