'1Password for Teams' Introduces Secure Password Sharing for Teams at Work

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 3, 2016.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

AgileBits recently announced that its long-in-beta product "1Password for Teams" has officially launched, bringing an enterprise-focused version of the company's popular password management app to iOS, Mac, and Android. 1Password for Teams will let users in a designated team share secure passwords, documents, and other data through AgileBits' heavily encrypted infrastructure.

Announced first in November, and now just coming out of a seven month-long beta test period, the new team sharing service gives control over a group of users to one administrator, who can then ensure that their entire team remains safe from phishing scams and hacks. With end-to-end encryption, 1Password for Teams ensures that team members don't have to risk a security breach by emailing or texting passwords between one another.

[​IMG]

A team's administrator has access to 1Password for Teams' robust Admin Console, from which they can create password vaults and assign member access, restore a master password if a team member forgets their login information, and grant temporary access to guests.

AgileBits also promises that 1Password for Teams is backed by features that let members find "weak and reused passwords" so they can be changed proactively, a security alert system called Watchtower, a master password creator, and other various anti-phishing software. Through the service's security-minded automatic wireless syncing, users can share financial records -- like an office credit card or joint bank account -- and even various word and text documents.

Similar to its 1Password for Families plan, AgileBits has created a subscription model for its new team service. Users can get a standard subscription for $3.99 per user per month when billed annually ($4.99 when billed monthly), which includes unlimited access to 1Password's desktop and mobile apps, offline access, 1GB of storage per person, and a 30 day item history to recover lost documents.

A pro subscription is also available for $11.99 per user per month at an annual rate ($14.99 at a monthly rate), upgrading users to 5GB of storage, priority email support from AgileBits, an unlimited item history recovery system, and other top-tier features. The company is offering these pro-level features at a standard-level rate until August 1, and the pricing will be locked-in forever, so moving forward any added team members will be able to subscribe at the lower cost instead of the premium rate.

Check out more information for 1Password for Teams on AgileBits' website.

Article Link: '1Password for Teams' Introduces Secure Password Sharing for Teams at Work

2. jonnysods macrumors 603

jonnysods

3. ike1707 macrumors 6502

ike1707

Secure password sharing has to be some kind of oxymoron. You want secure password sharing?? Write it on a little piece of paper with invisible ink. Try hacking that FBI! :p

4. ProVideo macrumors 6502

No.

5. 2457282 Suspended

We have a company policy against sharing passwords. This makes no sense to me. Shared passwords would fail most basic audits.

6. now i see it macrumors 68030

and as a bonus extra feature we cut off access to your passwords if you miss a monthly payment

7. CRANFAN1 macrumors newbie

CRANFAN1

It does not make sense for End-User, but make a lot of sense on the Network Management side. You often need to configure Services Accounts, etc... You also need to store essential password, like you Master Domain Admin password. But... I would never pout that in the cloud.

8. tigres macrumors 601

tigres

Been a 1 password user since the beginning. this is something i would never ever subscribe to. I wrote them and asked if this was the onset of a new monthly pricing model. They have insisted the owned version would not change. I sure hope so, because if it does I will move to another program that day.

9. skinned66, Jun 3, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2016

skinned66 macrumors 65816

skinned66

"Post #7."

10. 2457282 Suspended

Service accounts are always tricky. I insist that my developers not hard code that but tokenize them or use some other approach especially because we change the password every 30 days for security reasons. Storing them in a cloud solution like this is a non starter for sure.

11. joueboy macrumors 65816

I love 1Password and it's really worth it. It's only the application that I get excited even if I pay for upgrades. But them heading to subscription based keeps me worried. Too much monthly subscription already for me on top of my monthly bills. Even if they say they will keep the old way buying your own copy, eventually they'll going to abandon it because it's not as profitable in their opinion. I hate this!

12. jxpx777 macrumors newbie

Disclosure: I work for AgileBits, makers of 1Password.

Thanks for the comments and feedback, folks!

There's no plan to abandon selling 1Password licenses. This has been our bread and butter for a long time. But, Families/Teams makes possible features that previously weren't possible. For instance, it was previously possible to have multiple vaults and share them with other people, but it required sharing the master password for that vault. There was previously no way to limit capabilities of what someone could do with a vault such as read only vaults. With the service we've built, we're able to provide those additional features that we've wanted to create for a long time. That value comes with ongoing costs in servers, bandwidth, and the like, but we're thrilled to be able to provide these new capabilities that weren't possible to do well or at all without the server side component.

There are a number of cases for shared passwords. Whether it's a family sharing a Netflix or Amazon password or a social media team sharing login credentials for the company Twitter account or an ops team sharing deployment keys for a web server, password sharing isn't ipso facto a security failure. The way that many of these passwords have historically been shared such as in Excel spreadsheets is indeed a terrible practice, but the idea of sharing some passwords is perfectly valid.

This isn't the case at all. In the event of a lapsed subscription, your account goes into a frozen state. We will never lock you out of your data.

Cheers!
    --
    Jamie Phelps
    Code Wrangler @ AgileBits

13. ptb42 macrumors 6502a

Share passwords?

That's a violation of every security policy I've ever seen.

It removes accountability: you don't know who did something.

14. Shirasaki macrumors 604

Shirasaki

I believe storing all password into one single word document is not actually safe. All what I can keep is never putting it online.

I still think human Brain is by far the relatively safest way to store sensitive information, once you remember it. But anyway, too many passwords or so. I agree that password manager solves a lot of people this problem.

Regarding to sub model, this is not always a good thing for software. Microsoft office goes sub oriented. Adobe goes completely sub model starting from CC series.

Yes, now everyone can say "we never do such" or other. Problem is, how long this "never" has.

Current promotion price is attractive though.

15. KALLT macrumors 601

The human brain is not the most reliable place for storing passwords, at least not to the level that decent security, by today’s standards, requires. It is simply impossible. Even if you do manage it, remembering such tiny details is risky, as the brain’s functions can be impaired due to lots of reasons. People are also lazy when it comes to devoting brain power to such trivial things as passwords; nobody is going to maintain a perfect record in memory of passwords that are unique and complex. Why fight nature? Just use a password manager.

16. Shirasaki macrumors 604

Shirasaki

I am still considering. I have solid memories on my Windows and Apple ID password. Both are complex and Long enough.
    Maybe after a few more months, I will consider jumping onto the ship.

17. AbSoluTc macrumors 601

AbSoluTc

Makes sense in the enterprise. So many passwords for backend items that do not change and if they change, easier to keep track of. If you're not in IT, you wouldn't understand. This is a welcomed addition as long as they keep the single user, no sub. option.

18. Nunyabinez macrumors 68000

Nunyabinez

Surely, you have more passwords than windows and Apple ID. In my vault I have hundreds of logins. The way most people deal with the fact that they have many logins and passwords is they reuse the same password over and over again. If one account gets compromised, hackers go to all the common websites and use the username and password to try to access your accounts.

Maybe they break into you Netflix account. They immediately go to all the major banks and try that same combination. If you were lazy like most people, they now have your bank account.

1Password is a awesome solution to make sure that each account has a unique password. You would never be able to remember a large number of strong passwords.

I am not affiliated with 1Password, but do use and love it.

19. timeconsumer, Jun 3, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2016

timeconsumer macrumors 68000

timeconsumer

The reason I chose 1Password years ago was because there was no subscription based model. It sounds like 1Password is trying to go the route of LastPass/Dashlane types. I get it, if people are willing to pay a monthly cost then you guys make more.

I'm still waiting for OPVault support on Android, hopefully that makes it into the next release...

EDIT: OPVault support has been added in 6.3. Thanks to Mr. Zarniwoop and jxpx777 for letting me know!

20. cerote macrumors 6502a

cerote

We have connections that we can only get one user for. Like places to send file to and get reports. Always sucks when first shift would change password and never tell second shift and then password ends up getting locked out. Then you have to contact support for that connection of other company and wait causing delays.

Can't do much with that password and user info. You need encryption keys to send anything the other side would even grab otherwise the files fail.

Would be nice to have. But yea this app would still violate policy though.

21. Mr. Zarniwoop macrumors demi-god

Mr. Zarniwoop

22. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

I see use for this. I use 1Password (left LastPass when they got bought out by a company I didn't like (had bad experiences with)) a lot. I could see my wife and I using this but I really don't want to have to pay per month for it (yet another monthly subscription bleeding my paycheck). Really like 1Password.... anyone not using apps like this are a huge risk (often times using the same password everywhere).

23. jxpx777 macrumors newbie

A steadier revenue stream is never a bad thing but if this only shifted your data to our servers, which means a ton of additional work for our team to create and support as well as ongoing operations costs and concerns, there's very little incentive for us to make such a move. But the server component makes it possible for us to serve more customers (We had friends at some prominent companies that were forced to use a competitor because they had many of these Teams features. Everyone should have the best password manager and we happen to think that's 1Password.) and provide features that we couldn't have done well or at all without it and since it means ongoing costs to make this happen, a subscription makes the most sense because then the people that are using the service are the ones paying for it. If we provided the service for free, subsidized by app license sales, I suspect our selling price would have to be much higher for everyone, which definitely isn't fair. (To my knowledge this was never discussed, but I wanted to throw it out there as one possible alternative.)

Our Android app supports OPVault since 6.3. Sorry if this wasn't clearly communicated before!

--
    Jamie Phelps
    Code Wrangler @ AgileBits

24. macduke macrumors G3

macduke

Well, I take it you guys have never worked on a marketing or communications team. You can't just make multiple passwords for each social media account. We have Flickr, Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat, etc. The web people also have shared SFTP access accounts for each of dev, test and production servers. Then we also have passwords for different services we subscribe to that multiple admins would need to access, such as the WordFence Pro security plugin for WordPress, as well as other plugins we subscribe to, as well as dummy test WordPress users at different access levels for when we're working on dev, and archived changed passwords for writers who are no longer here but we still host their stories and don't want them to have access to the website. And when I worked at a web design agency during my internship, everyone shared login credentials for client websites we were working on. Usually they had their site on some odd server somewhere and would give us one login and we'd have to do everything with that. And we also have database passwords and other things like the login to retrieve files from our shared scanner which puts them on a certain Google Drive account. Just lots of random crap needed to get things done. At home, my wife and I share several passwords for different things, such as Netflix, Hulu, our ISP, our utilities, our Mint account, our Nest, our bank and investing accounts, our tax preparation login, UPS, Verizon, Amazon, as well as vaults that store our credit card numbers, our social security numbers (including kids), WiFi password, our iCloud and Dropbox passwords in case something were to happen to one of us, and more.

Do you really only have a few passwords to manage? I currently have over 275 total items stored, everything from bank accounts to social security numbers to work logins for various social media, to multiple social media for myself, to all the streaming services, to all the cloud file storage services, to all the websites and client websites I manage. I wish I only had to remember a few. The passwords in my vault run from 30-50 characters of mixed lowercase, uppercase, special characters and numbers. Using some online tools I googled, it would take a good sized distributed botnet about 2 quinquavigintillion years to crack my toughest passwords.

25. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

Agreed, I have 500+ passwords in my 1Password db (some are duplicates).

An Optometrist I went to has to have passwords for every distributor they work with so they can order frames when customer wants specific color/type/brand. They use Chrome with a profile on all the computers so the 30+ passwords they need are available when wanted. 1Password would be perfect for them because Chrome keeps corrupting the profile somehow.