1Password, is anyone using it?

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by iMas70, Aug 8, 2013.

1. iMas70 macrumors 65816

I was just reading about 1Password ( https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/1password/id568903335?mt=8 )

It sounds good but I've been very happy using Safari and having all of my devices synced. I find open sites on my iMac while on my iPhone or iPad ect, ect...

What does everyone think of this? Is the browser just as good, will is sync between all my devices (says iDevices, don't know about the iMac). I don't need the program but it might be something that can be beneficial.

2. Troneas macrumors 65816

Troneas

1password is perhaps the most popular password management app amongst mac users.

i use it on my mac and on my idevices. its the best thing since sliced bread if you ask me.

and you dont have to quit using safari. 1passord has its own browser built in for quick access to sites, but you can always copy and paste your password from it to safari (in mobile devices - in the mac its built into safari).

keep in mind, though, that 1password isnt cheap (although i read its currently on sale) and that the new version of safari in OSX mavericks will have a password manager (not sure what is going on in iOS 7 but i would suspect it will include one too).

and yes, 1password syncs with all your idevices via dropbox.

3. mike457 macrumors 6502

1Password offers additional functions that your browser doesn't supply. It will generate passwords for you, keep track of the licenses for programmes, and store banking information. I use it all the time.

4. BMNEUR macrumors member

BMNEUR

Reading into this program after your post, it does appear it allows syncing, but through dropbox. If I were you, I would wait. Here's why:

I have heard good things about it, but I've also heard gripes about the price point. I do not use it so I cannot give first hand experience. However, with Mavericks and iOS 7 coming out with their own universal password manager called iCloud Keychain. A near $20 password app will become obsolete after iCloud Keychain is out for FREE and will be equal to 1Password, if not better. I do not see the devices in your signature having any major compatibility problems. That being said, I'd hold out for iCloud Keychain because it's essentially the same type of program. Don't waste your money on something that will be free in a future software update, if you can wait the month. Get a copy of Mavericks with the money you save.

5. anonnymouse macrumors regular

For most Apple-only folks, sure, iCloud Keychain will probably be the best answer for them. There are many others that use more than one platform, and 1Password supports Mac, Windows, iOS and Android. So there will still be a market. Agile Bits continues to hire developers, so apparently they do not share your skepticism.

I say, good for them. A feature arms race will inevitably help everyone.

6. BMNEUR macrumors member

BMNEUR

I agree. However, I was only considering the OP's circumstance. Cross platform is definitely where 1Password shines, if that is what some individuals need. Everything has flaws. That is undeniable.

7. Troneas macrumors 65816

Troneas

it "supports" android. to say it fully supports android is an overstatement.

all they have is a poor excuse for a reader app that yes, allows you to browse and copy-paste your passwords but you cant manage or create new ones. nor can you do anything else the Mac or iOS version allows.

8. anonnymouse macrumors regular

And that's fine. It's good that everyone can provide their opinion. I'm strictly an OS X/iOS user, so I don't know anything about their Android version. I'll likely go the route of iCloud Keychain, but considering that I have already paid for 1P on both platforms, I'll use both for a while and see which one fits better.

Whatever works for each person.

9. AGKyle macrumors 6502a

We are working on a full Android app:

http://blog.agilebits.com/2013/07/14/1password-new-android-screenshots/

Creating complex applications isn't easy :) We'll get it released as quickly as possible though.

To the OP, if you have any questions please don't hesitate to contact us at our support email, it's in my signature link.

10. iMas70 thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks for the info! I read good reviews about 1Password and later remembered that iCloud Keychain is coming out. I've gone this long without having a program/app like this so I guess I can hold out a little longer. I saw that it was on sale, has good reviews and seems to be very useful. I think I'll hold off for Apple's version.

11. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

No complaints from me--I've been using it since my first Mac in 2008--love having the same data on iPhone and Macs--looking forward to iCloud support (hopefully) soon. Highly recommended. :)