Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2013
Update: Who remembers the AWS outage of a couple of weeks ago? Took AWS down for most of a day. If that happens to a cloud service such as Dropbox, 1Password, etc, how would you get to your passwords? What happens if you don't have cell service or WiFi, such as during a bad weather event.

What happens? Nothing. You still have access to your passwords, they're stored locally. It's only relevant when it comes to syncing.

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around
Update: Who remembers the AWS outage of a couple of weeks ago? Took AWS down for most of a day. If that happens to a cloud service such as Dropbox, 1Password, etc, how would you get to your passwords? What happens if you don't have cell service or WiFi, such as during a bad weather event.

My point is my data stays with me. It does not get stored outside of my immediate and physical control and storage. If I need it, but it here or the middle of no where, I can open my smartphone and look up the information needed.

Love 1Password. Don't like the subscription model or forcing people to use a cloud/server based storage system.

iCloud also used AWS, so if you used iCloud for syncing, guess what? Also, that outage only affected the syncing part, not a big deal. I'm trying out the subscription and I didn't noticed anything interruptions, and still had all my passwords on my phone.

Another thing, how are they forcing you to switch? Did they pull license? No? Is your 1Password license still working? Yes. And you can still get the standalone by request.

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
Does that mean I'm going to be prompted to subscribe in a month?

No, they've made it quite clear that licensed versions & app store versions will go on working. They should go on working until something stops them working (e.g. a change in some future version of MacOS).

The concerns here are really longer term given that AgileBits actions and comments show that they're now completely focussed on the subscription model as the way forward and have gone so far as to "hide" the license option on their website. What if you need to add a platform (iOS/Android/Windows)? Will future major versions be available without subscriptions (the latest version for the PC is effectively subscription-only - at least for the moment)? Will future new features require subscriptions? Will fixes needed for future MacOS versions be provided to existing users?

Update: Who remembers the AWS outage of a couple of weeks ago?

The subscription versions still work offline - passwords are cached locally and edits will be stored offline until you connect (I'm playing with a demo account and have seen it happen).

What we don't know is how long the software will go on running offline with no internet connection before it decides that your subscription has lapsed and goes readonly. Hopefully weeks rather than hours (30 days would seem sensible...)

Don't like the subscription model or forcing people to use a cloud/server based storage system.

I'm ~meh on the subscription: but I want the clients for all 4 platforms and half-a-dozen machines, so £150 over 5 years isn't worth quibbling over. I don't really want to keep my passwords in the cloud, though - the WiFi and USB sync suit me perfectly. However - wanting to add the PC version has me stuck there (v4 has no USB sync, v6 is read-only without subscription).

soupy norman

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2014
No, they've made it quite clear that licensed versions & app store versions will go on working. They should go on working until something stops them working (e.g. a change in some future version of MacOS).

This is what I am curious about — how does the app know it was purchased in Appstore before they introduced subscription model. Every transaction has an id. Does the app call home to check eligibility status?

Also, considering there is only one app in the Appstore now, will we be getting updates too?

TonyK

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2009
From other applications that were split between the App Store and developer's website, no, the App Store version is unique and cannot be updated from the developer's website. The validation (aka validating the license) is different between the 2 areas.

Now maybe that has changed and AgileBits has worked out the problem. To me though, I purchase from a website over the App Store because of this.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
From other applications that were split between the App Store and developer's website, no, the App Store version is unique and cannot be updated from the developer's website. The validation (aka validating the license) is different between the 2 areas.

Now maybe that has changed and AgileBits has worked out the problem. To me though, I purchase from a website over the App Store because of this.
The validation is still unique between the two sites. If someone does want to convert a Apple Store license to the Angilebits license, Agilebits will accommodate the customer.

TonyK

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2009
Anyone thinking to jumping ship to Lastpass may want to read this article first:

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/03/21/lastpass_vulnerabilities/

This is why I'm cautious about storing critical information in the cloud. It becomes more dangerous when there are exploits like this but still, cloud storage for password managers is just to ripe and juicy for thieves to ignore.

For the foreseeable future, it will be dedicated storage on my computer with USB or WiFi syncing through a local (read non routeable) home network.

lexvo

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2009
The Netherlands
Someone should run it through Little Snitch to check it out.

It's interesting that you can't turn off analytics but keep auto updates on. Most users wouldn't understand what analytics are but would be keen for the update option.

It is a bit confusing. On my iPad I can turn analytics off and keep check for updates on.
As a matter of fact there are three seperate switches for updates, crash reports and analytics.

macjunk(ie)

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2009
Anyone thinking to jumping ship to Lastpass may want to read this article first:

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/03/21/lastpass_vulnerabilities/

yup...that did it. Thanks!!
What's interesting though is that the browser extensions were compromised...Can happen to a 1Password instance that stores passwords locally on the computer as well. I think this is just a case of bad security models at LastPass and should not be a ding against cloud password managers...Only referring to this particular instance of the breach.

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2013
It is a bit confusing. On my iPad I can turn analytics off and keep check for updates on.
As a matter of fact there are three seperate switches for updates, crash reports and analytics.

I'm wondering why an iOS app needs an update option when that's handled through the App Store?

Reactions: TonyK

AGKyle

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2012
yup...that did it. Thanks!!
What's interesting though is that the browser extensions were compromised...Can happen to a 1Password instance that stores passwords locally on the computer as well. I think this is just a case of bad security models at LastPass and should not be a ding against cloud password managers...Only referring to this particular instance of the breach.

We are not impacted by these same issues. 1Password's browser extension does not store your data in it. It's merely a conduit used for accessing 1Password mini. The extension has ~3 purposes:

1. It fills data into webpages
2. It triggers a save window when you provide a username and password to a webpage (and it's not already in 1Password)
3. It has an icon that can be used to invoke 1Password mini.

When you try to fill, you can do this many ways, but lets just pick the most common I suspect:

* You click the browser extension icon
* This sends a message from the extension to the 1Password mini app saying "hey, I'm on this page, please display any Login items for this site"
* Mini receives the message and searches through the Logins for matches
* Mini displays the relevant matches
* The user now must click or choose an item
* After choosing an item Mini sends the username and password for that site only, to the extension
* The extension receives it and fills into the page

There is no easy way to have the extension provide an attacker with all of the items because the extension does not have the data, and to request it you must have the item's UUID, which is mostly gibberish looking, like this:

s6imv3bysre4fobff24l5w2ylm

Every item is different: ovvx2776dfhe7hqa6ayat25jbi, ifcru2lk2vhtdcvukhtv32one4, etc. An attacker would have to know all of these UUIDs in order to have the extension request the username and password for an item.

We operate very differently than LastPass, which stores all of the encrypted data in the extension itself, which is why an attack like that can be done.

Hope that helps clear that up though.

soupy norman

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2014
Hello Kyle, would you be able to confirm how transition to subscription model affects customers who had purchased the app before?

If I reinstall the OS today and install the Appstore version I bought some time ago, I understand I will be installing the very same app new customers install now.

Am I correct to assume they will be required to subscribe, and I, as a "legacy customer" who purchased the full version will not? How does the app know I am on non-subscription if it's a fresh install?

TonyK

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2009
Hello Kyle, would you be able to confirm how transition to subscription model affects customers who had purchased the app before?

If I reinstall the OS today and install the Appstore version I bought some time ago, I understand I will be installing the very same app new customers install now.

Am I correct to assume they will be required to subscribe, and I, as a "legacy customer" who purchased the full version will not? How does the app know I am on non-subscription if it's a fresh install?

Actually if you do not use the copy your purchased and have updated through the years you could find yourself in some pain. Past experience with other applications who had both AppStore and vendor based versions could not move between the two models unless the Vendor allowed it.

If the AppStore version of 1Password only offers the subscription service then you are likely only going to be able to use it that way.

This is why I have backups of my purchased applications so they can be re-installed and I use 1Password to store license information.

AGKyle

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2012

There isn't a transition. We still sell both the standalone app (if you open up the Mac App Store and look at the in-app purchases you'll see it as an option there, it's called 1Password Standalone) and we also offer 1Password Accounts.

For users who had purchased the app when it was a paid app, you're effectively grand fathered in, which gets you the same features as the "Standalone" in-app purchase would. Which is the same as the app you purchased before.

rednoah

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2015
I think the choices are (a) get used to paying more for software (like we used to in the past - 1Password would easily have been $50 per machine in the pre-App-store days) (b) get used to subscription pricing or (c) stick to open-source or loss-leader software, which only exists because someone else is paying the developers and distributors' rent.
My thoughts exactly.

soupy norman

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2014
For users who had purchased the app when it was a paid app, you're effectively grand fathered in, which gets you the same features as the "Standalone" in-app purchase would. Which is the same as the app you purchased before.

Thank you for the clarification, Kyle.

Max Portakabin

Suspended
Sep 25, 2014
There isn't a transition. We still sell both the standalone app (if you open up the Mac App Store and look at the in-app purchases you'll see it as an option there, it's called 1Password Standalone) and we also offer 1Password Accounts.

For now. When the new iOS and macOS ship and you need to update, I can see standalone getting dicked.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: beachmusic

carboncow

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2009
Disclaimer: I work for AgileBits, makers of 1Password.

I'm sorry, we can't really provide evidence because it's sales statistics. But our sales are overwhelmingly in favor of the subscription service now. It provides a great deal of benefits and clearly users are seeing these benefits and purchasing as a result.

I will happily admit that these benefits may not be as big for some users as it is for others, but for a vast majority of our users this simplifies things dramatically.

I realize this is a "well, you'll just have to believe me" response, but I'm afraid that's the best I can do since AgileBits is a private company and doesn't publish sales numbers, and even then I am not privy to the details myself. I've seen the graphs from our sales channels though and subscriptions are way up and licenses are way down.

We do continue to offer licenses for users, though we have de-emphasized them quite a bit as subscription's have taken over as a leading choice with our customers. The Mac App Store version, while free, and offers subscriptions in app, will continue to let users purchase a standalone license. It may be slightly more difficult to find but it is there.

If you are leaving, I am sad to see you go. You're one of the few users around here that I recall interacting with from time to time and it's never fun seeing users go but we realize that users have to make the best choice for them and we aren't crazy enough to think we're the best choice for everyone.

That said, realize that with the release of 1Password 6.6 for Mac on the Mac App Store doesn't necessarily change anything, it just offers subscriptions and is now free instead of paid. We were running into users who were subscribing to the service, and then bought the app from the Mac App Store and were confused why their subscription went frozen after they paid. By making the app free on the Mac App Store we hope to reduce this issue.

For licenses, see above, it's still possible to get a standalone license for the Mac App Store version (and our AgileBits Store version, which has a built in store to purchase). The Mac App Store version may be slightly harder to locate but it is there and depends on how you set the application up from the beginning for how you see that option.

I see this expensive word a lot but I look at it differently I guess. I use 1Password all day long for work, but after work is done I still use it numerous times a day for my own personal use. Signing into my bank, my social media accounts, paying bills, media sites like Netflix, shopping sites like Amazon. All of these uses, if you add them up, probably equate stop pennies per use over the course of a year. If you take the lowest priced subscription option ($35.88) and divide by 365, it comes out to about 10 cents a day. For family accounts, it might cost a little more, but then if you divide that by each person it comes out to be even cheaper per person.

That's how I look at it anyway, and I pay full price for the application, just like our users do. I could give the application to myself for free as I work here, but I prefer to experience things the same way our users do. If I find myself thinking "this isn't worth the money" then clearly we're doing something wrong but I wouldn't potentially see that if I weren't paying for it myself. My first year of renewal is up soon and I will continue to pay for my family subscription, it has just proven to be too useful for me and will only get better this year.

We do have to keep the lights on and the race to the bottom pricing hurts everyone. 1Password is fully self funded. We have never taken any VC money or outside investment. Other companies have and that's how they can drop their prices to near nothing. Of course, at that point you also become the product being sold, for instance another popular password manager monitors what type of sites you're accessing and a year or so ago published a report of how many of their users had purchased on black Friday.

We never receive that type of information from our users. We are selling 1Password, a product that helps you stay secure. You aren't the product, you're the customer and we designed 1Password so that we can never know what you're using it for or that you're shopping more on black Friday.

Just a couple ways I like to believe we separate ourselves from the others out there.

Sorry to hear that. There has certainly been a lot of pushback over the last year or so towards subscription pricing but we certainly do have a lot of users who are preferring the subscription option. We sell more subscriptions now than we do licenses. As I said above, I realize this is a "well, you'll just have to believe me" type of response and I know that may not help everyone here but it is the truth.

That said, also as I said above, individual licenses are still available in the Mac App Store, it just depends on how you set the application up during the first run setup. If you sync to a Dropbox vault or create a new standalone vault, you'll gain the ability to purchase a standalone license.

This update makes the application free and presents the appropriate payment option based on how the user sets the application up.

Thank you for being a long time customer. You're right, we haven't charged users who bought version 4 for iOS or Mac. That would be 2012 and 2013 respectively. I think we're pretty darn generous in how we charge for our updates. That said, there are a ton of reasons why this also hurts you as users.

Keep in mind the above comments I've made, we aren't removing license options at this time. They are still available in the Mac App Store.

We have some incredibly fun features planned and have had them planned for awhile but we always have to hold features back so that when upgrade time comes we can entice users to pay for the upgrade. The subscription option means we no longer have to do that and can simply provide features as we can since we don't have to convince you to upgrade. We just have to convince you to stay.

As for the look of the app, I'm sorry you feel that way. We're really trying to keep with the macOS look and feel. The last couple macOS updates have changed the design paradigm quite a bit and it's taking developers awhile to find a good mix of design. I've seen some designs we have coming down the pipeline and I suspect you'll like seeing those when it becomes available :)

Can I ask why a web based solution is out of the question for you? I suspect if you understood how our service works you might actually find it goes well above and beyond what any of the others out there do. I'm happy to discuss if you'd like.

Your standalone license will continue to work. This release does not change that at all. It simply helps bring more options to the table for our users.
[doublepost=1488207023][/doublepost]Trying to answer this but the quote system here is making it complicated... hopefully I don't miss something, but if I do please let me know and I'll get you the answer.

Offline/folder based syncing solutions, say iCloud or Dropbox or Folder sync. These do not get backed up online. You are solely responsible for backing them up yourself. We do create local backups (see File > Backup) but it's not quite as flexible as our online backup solution.

For instance, our backups as part of a 1Password.com membership allow you to restore individual items to any previous version. The backups of standalone vaults only allow restoring to snapshots in time, when the backups were made, and requires restoring the entire backup, not just an individual item. You can of course restore, get the data you need, then restore back to the newest backup. It's just more work.

Thanks for the kind comments. We realize that 1Password's pricing may not meet the needs for everyone but we also have to keep the health of the company in mind and that means charing a fair price. We're not a VC backed company and depend on our users paying to keep the company alive and well.

We have no intention to sell out to another company and we are only beholden to our users, not investment bankers or shareholders.

I sometimes get the feeling that users think we're just trying to sell the company for a big sum in a few years like some of the others have done. But for the last 10 years AgileBits has been entirely funded by the users and we intend to keep it that way. To do that, we do have to charge enough to pay all the bills and I hope we've hit a spot where it's both good for us and good for our users.
[doublepost=1519660764][/doublepost]Sorry but it all just reads like corporate spin and for those of us who don't appreciate subscription based models which are just for more $$$ we are not dumb...we smell the the reason just fine. Once my DropBox or iCloud gets hacked so someone can get my Netflix password I'll sing the praise of how smart you guys are.
[doublepost=1519660835][/doublepost]
Thank you for the clarification, Kyle.

Simply not true. One of my iMacs is stating READ ONLY and no matter what I try I cannot correct this. Same version running on iMacs with same iOS and one will not work anymore.

Reactions: Ulenspiegel
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.