1Password or DataVault??

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by bzollinger, Mar 8, 2011.

?

Which password manager do you use?

1. DataVault

15 vote(s)
    29.4%
  2. 1Password

29 vote(s)
    56.9%
  3. mSecure

4 vote(s)
    7.8%
  4. eWallet

3 vote(s)
    5.9%
  1. bzollinger macrumors 6502a

bzollinger

I've searched and read everything I can find about these two apps. I've downloaded the free version of DataVault too.

Everyone seems about split on the two. More Mac folks seem to like 1password better. I've got an iPhone 4, a MP at home and a PC at work. Any suggestions?

Do either of these have web access too in case you don't have your phone handy?

Does either integrate with DropBox?

What do you use?

What do you recommend?

2. Fedorov macrumors 6502

1Password only backs up/syncs to your Dropbox if you fork out for the paid desktop version as well.

I only want this info to carry around with me so desktop apps I'm not interested in - don't agree with 1Password limiting the backup of the app this way.

DataVault is very good, tons of features, would recommend over 1Password having used them both.

Personally though I settled on mSecure, it lets you email an encrypted backup of the database to yourself or another iDevice and restore from that email if ever needed. They also provide a FREE mBackup desktop tool if you wish to use it.

mSecure or DataVault, both good choices.

3. bzollinger thread starter macrumors 6502a

bzollinger

Thank you for the input. I didn't know that about 1password. That seems a little shady...

I'll look a harder at mSecure!

4. Gokunama macrumors 6502a

Gokunama

1Password has a free trial version. You can set up your DropBox back up that way and avoid buying the desktop. You can also log into the 1Password in DropBox from any browser (of course password protected).

For your needs though, mSecure sounds great. Personally I like 1Password cause I have a Mac and it makes saving and logging into sites extremely convenient.

5. bzollinger thread starter macrumors 6502a

bzollinger

This sounds like what I want to do for the most part. If I can access the 1Password files via dropbox, via web browser then I've got cross platform support.

So you're saying download the 1Password desktop trial then setup the dropbox backup to avoid buying the desktop version. That sounds good, but then when you make changes and want to update your backup how it that done?

When you say that it makes saving and logging into site extremely easy is that while using your Mac, or using your iPhone?

thanks,
    BZ

6. Gokunama macrumors 6502a

Gokunama

The iPhone app automatically syncs to DropBox whenever you open the app. Saving new login info on the Mac is easy, but on the iPhone, there's no advantage to 1Password over any other password program. Logging in with 1Password Pro on the iOS device is easier with the built in browser than trying to manually enter that info even if the built in 1 Password Pro browser at least seems slower than Safari. You just tap the arrow next to the url in the app and it'll automatically log you into most site.

One caveat though, if the developers update the sync protocol, then you may have to buy the desktop version to keep DropBox sync. Dunno, if you're not looking at buying the desktop, then re-entering all that info into a new app should the sync protocol ever be changed wouldn't be fun at all.

7. bzollinger thread starter macrumors 6502a

bzollinger

So 1Password is looking pretty good!

Holy cow the Mac app is $40!! :eek::eek:Then if I want it on my iPhone it's another $15. :(

Dang.... back to the drawing board.

8. bzollinger thread starter macrumors 6502a

bzollinger

Okay, so 1Password can sync to Dropbox which is great for backups.

But you cannot access your 1Password database or records directly from Dropbox can you?

So if my MacPro is sycn'd up to dropbox with 1Password, I can't go to my work computer, open dropbox then open 1Password to see the records unless my work computer has 1Password install too right?

9. toohectic macrumors member

You can. If you can access your dropbox account, you will find a 1password.html file inside your keychain folder. When you open that file, it provides a virtual 1password interface (similar to the OS X app) that allows you to access all your passwords.

10. Fedorov macrumors 6502

I found mSecure a lot cheaper and it's also a Universal app which means I don't have to buy it again for my iPad.

11. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

I have the same issues too, and have done some research. I found 1Password a bit of a sticker shock too.

I've heard good things about LastPass, and Steve Gibson, a rather well known security researcher, says its pretty good.

Also you can get a well featured free version from their website. I intend to try it out pretty soon. iPhone access is $1/month, which I plan to use. $12/year is not too bad.

I guess in a year or so, something better will be along.

12. MikhailT macrumors 601

That is not true about 1Password. 1Password touch has an internal backup & restore feature within the app that lets you back up and restore via the local Wi-Fi network in your browser. Here's the link for more information:
    http://help.agile.ws/1Password_touch/backup.html

Dropbox isn’t required to backup and the Agile team would recommend that you back up internally instead of using Dropbox since Dropbox is a sync solution, not a backup solution.

Once you moved your 1Password data file to the Dropbox folder, you can safely uninstall 1Password and the sync will continue to work fine without any issues.

It's easy to log in via both, Mac and via the 1Password touch’s built-in browser.

1Password uses the same core as the Mobile Safari but the Agile team is working on improving their built-in browser to make it much better and over time, more powerful.

As for the sync protocol, 1Password on Mac has nothing to do with it. They just place a file in your Dropbox folder. So, any changes made will have to be reflected in the Dropbox client which means it is not affected by 1Password for Mac in any way.

You do not have to install 1Password or Dropbox, you can always access 1Password database over Dropbox.com, they call it 1PasswordAnywhere. Here's a link for more information:
    http://help.agile.ws/1Password3/1passwordanywhere.html

You should contact the Agile team at support@agilewebsolutions.com for any questions, they have a great CS team that'll help you in any way they can.

13. bzollinger thread starter macrumors 6502a

bzollinger

Not a bad idea thinking that something better might come along.

But $5 for mSecure one time and they are updating it (or should be).

From the screen shots I like the way that mSecure shows object, username, & passwords for multiple accounts on one screen. I wish I could demo it.

I've been using the demo of DataVault and it's okay but not super impressed yet.

14. DotCom2 macrumors 68040

I've had both 1 Password Pro and Datavault and I can tell you from my experience that DataVault is far far superior!

15. bzollinger thread starter macrumors 6502a

bzollinger

Thanks for all the great information. I found it helpful. I did watch the video about 1Passwordanywhere, this sounds like the best solution for cross platform usability. I'll have to look more into the 1Password interface and layout. Thanks!

16. bzollinger thread starter macrumors 6502a

bzollinger

Can you tell us why you feel it is far far superior? I'd like to hear about your experiences.

thanks,
    BZ

17. bzollinger thread starter macrumors 6502a

bzollinger

Thank you for the info!

18. bzollinger thread starter macrumors 6502a

bzollinger

For full integrated functionality it sounds like 1Password is the best, but also by far the most expensive. I like the idea of using the desktop trial to setup Dropbox, the uninstalling the desktop version. Dropbox integration is the biggest plus that I can think of if one doesn't buy the $40 desktop app.

Other than that mSecure looks like the next best thing. Without using either of them, mSecure's UI looks better and more useful. The less "clicks" the better to access info IMHO.

Anyone have any experiences with these apps they want to post?

19. RandomKamikaze macrumors 6502a

RandomKamikaze

I use 1Password with Dropbox sync and have got the OS X client, iOS app and Windows client installed and get access.

OS X and Windows browser integration is sweet and smooth.

OS X I only have to type my 1Password password to unlock and then it fills and submits my info. Windows adds the use of 'Ctrl + /'

I like the password generator feature as well and the ease of simply adding a new account with a generated or typed password.

I didn't really look at any others, but I have always been happy with 1Password so haven't looked anywhere else.

There are a lot of updates on all platforms as well so they are constantly working on it.

Also, I'm a firm believer of You get what you pay for

20. bzollinger thread starter macrumors 6502a

bzollinger

I just heard from mSecure support that they will be releasing Dropbox integration/sync in the next month or so. It's in beta right now.

Now the question is do I buy it now and hope the integration is good, or wait until it comes out and buy it then?

21. Gokunama macrumors 6502a

Gokunama

I'd wait and see the reviews first. Might be a few bugs, so be patient and wait for the .1 or .2 reviews to get a good idea whether it's good or not.

I have mSecure, but I'll never go with that till I it's easy to login with url, login name, and password all at just a tap. 1Password does that with just a tap.

22. bzollinger thread starter macrumors 6502a

bzollinger

Gottcha, and you're talking about doing that from the iPhone right?

Do you use the Mac app too? If so what do you think about the iPhone app by itself, would that work for you?

23. bzollinger thread starter macrumors 6502a

bzollinger

New question for 1Password users...

If you are a 1Password user and are happy about it answer me this.

Do you use both the desktop and iOS products? Or one or the other?

If you just use the iOS application are you happy with it? Or does it really need the desktop application to bring it all together?

thanks for the input!

24. Gokunama macrumors 6502a

Gokunama

I login into sites with just a tap on the iPhone. With other iOS password apps you can copy and paste either the url, username, or password, but you can't do all three with just a tap, with 1Password Pro you can.

I use both desktop and iOS apps.

Desktop makes saving new urls, usernames, and passwords extremely easy.

iOS app simply makes filling out all that stuff on sites as easy as a tap.

You'll need the free version to get the DropBox sync going though. If you don't need the desktop, it's not necessary to keep it. I'd still go with 1Password Pro even if I hadn't bought the desktop only worrying that the syncing code might be changed (syncing code for other services like Gcal and Toodledo occasionally are changed, which then creates problems for apps that sync to those services).

25. bzollinger thread starter macrumors 6502a

bzollinger

The most recent bundle!

Well the choice was made for me! The latest mac bundle included 1Password along with some other great apps for $50. No brainer now.:)