1Password overall impressions

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by cutter74, Sep 26, 2014.

1. cutter74, Sep 26, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2014

cutter74 macrumors member

First off, let me begin by saying that I was and (still am to en extent), extremely skeptical of password generator programs and their inherent safety, about storing sensitive data electronically, even more so when for the sake of convenience, you store your (encrypted) data file on the cloud.

As I said, I was extremely skeptical in the beginning, and I could not understand why we weren't (and still aren't) allowed to store the data file on a NAS server locally but were offered only the option of the PC itself or the cloud. I only purchased after being convinced by the excellent comments from other users and because I was impressed by the eagerness of the Agilebits support team (special mention should obviously go to Khad!) to reply to questions or even discuss our criticism of the product with an open mind.

Fast forward almost two years now, I am using 1Password on a daily basis because it makes my life so much easier. I have long ago succumbed to using Dropbox, basically out of necessity since I'm using Mac OS, Windows and iOS, and no matter what anyone says trying to rationalize the decision of storing sensitive data on the cloud, I still think it's wrong and still expect to wake up one morning reading about the next big security hole that lead to hackers accessing our Dropbox accounts. Call me old fashioned but the minute Agilebits releases a feature that will allow local SAN storing of the vault and/or wi-fi syncing between cross-platform devices of local vaults, bye-bye Dropbox!

But I digress. The above was all provided as an honest user review of an otherwise excellent product and as proof that I am not an Agilebits employee or related to in any way other than just one happy customer. The fact of the matter is that from day one, they won me over with their professionalism and their eagerness to support and all of that with a friendly face. I'm sure we've all been in situations where we have been treated with disrespect or being given answers that do not actually solve your problem. And although I've experienced excellent support from day 1, I'm only writing this thread since today they went out of their way to provide me with a service that I was technically not entitled to, and that just left me an awe!

So without rambling any longer and because I feel that good software and above all, good support should not remain unnoticed, I want to thank them for an excellent product and even more, their amazing after sales support.

2. AGKyle macrumors 6502

Hi there, thanks for the kind words.

You can sync via wifi between Mac and iOS, or Windows and iOS. There's no Mac to Windows, and at this time Android does not sync with Wifi. But, there are some options there.

It's very unlikely we'll sync to a NAS or similar type of product because of availability issues. That said, nothing is preventing you from using Folder Sync, then using something like rsync (or similar applications that provide a gui) to the remote location. When you're dealing with sensitive information you don't just want to sync anywhere that could cause a crash or unintended side effect. Syncing to a location that may not be available means we end up disabling sync and with a NAS or similar type of product you'd likely see 1Password say sync was disabled very frequently. By syncing to a local folder, then using a third party sync tool you can control when the sync to the remote folder occurs.

Hope that helps :)

3. MacTCE macrumors 6502

I too would love to have the ability to sync my 1Password vault to a local server or NAS, but only if the logistics made sense. The main purpose of 1Password is security, but it also needs to be easily accessible and reliable. Has far as storing our vaults in the cloud they are encrypted so there is a level of protection. So in the change that Dropbox or iCloud are hacked that information will still not be readable by a third part easily. So in my opinion I'm willing to take that slight risk for the convenience.

4. Thalbadar macrumors newbie

Whishlist:

- Syncing with my Synology or any other cloud service, worked well with Keepass, but unfortunaly they do not offer any good Mac Client.

- Auto Type for Mac. A feature I miss a lot when I switched to OSX and Keepass. Filling all my needed Passwords to any application is great. I know there is a autotype feature in the Windows Client, but it is only working with browsers, or did I miss something? I have a lot of applications on my System passsord protected, filling the password with auto-type was such a nice thing.

Yes, I also dislike the idea of storing information in dropbox or icloud. If you use all the clients (iOS, OSX, Win) there is no other way than using dropbox right now. Maybe you guys should think about advanced options for syncing with other services. Even my OneDrive Business Account would be better.

But anyway, I really love the product and you guys do an amazing job answering a lot of questions in your forums. Really like your Software and looking forward for new features.

5. Moria macrumors regular

Hi Kyle,

I'm interesting in your software but what has always stopped me is that at work I can't use any browser plugins. How do I log into websites when I can't use your plugin?

6. Thalbadar macrumors newbie

There are plugins for Safari, Firefox, Internet Explorer and Chrome.

https://agilebits.com/onepassword/extensions

Edit: Guess i did not get it. You are not allowed to use plugins, right? Then the autotype feature would be great, but only available for windows right now, afaik :)

7. AGKyle macrumors 6502

What's preventing you from using the extensions?

Seems your work should allow something that's going to be more secure if you make the case. I'm happy to work with you to put together a way to explain it to them if you want help with that.

Otherwise, the only other way to do it would be copy/paste.

8. gavroche macrumors 6502a

gavroche

I could use a little 1Password help...
    I just noticed that a recent change to desktop is not reflected on the iPhone. I looked, and my desktop says that I have 91 items.... iPhone says only 88. Both are set to sync via iCloud... and both say that they have synced recently...
    not sure what i'm missing....
    G

9. geoffm33 macrumors 6502

geoffm33

You probably upgraded to the latest iOS version which can't sync with the latest OSX version.

https://discussions.agilebits.com/d...t-changes-in-1password-5-os-x-10-10-and-ios-8

10. gavroche macrumors 6502a

gavroche

11. Liberty. macrumors 6502

My overall impression? It works. Currently I'm using KeePass and don't like it. It's a complete mess. Sadly I don't own an iOS-8-device, so I'm stuck with it until I get one. And this will take a year since my contract is running out next summer.

12. steve23094 macrumors 68000

steve23094

I don't understand why people synch with iCloud anyway. With Dropbox synch you also have a Web browser compatible 1password you can use if you have access to any Internet enabled device but not your iOS product. For example if your phone is stolen and you need to activate find my iPhone from someone else's mobile and don't know your super secure iCloud password off the top of your head. Or just need 1password access from somewhere else for any mundane reason.

13. MacTCE macrumors 6502

Did you enable iCloud Drive when you upgrade to iOS 8?

14. LV426 macrumors 6502a

I use iCloud Keychain via Safari, myself, as it's baked into iOS and OS X.

It logs me in automatically to all my favourite sites without any fuss, across my Apple devices, using a strong auto-generated password for each one.

Works for me.

15. flynz4 macrumors 68040

When iCloud Keychain was announced, I wondered if this was the end of separate password programs. I soon realized that would be like having TextEdit replace Word or Pages.

Still... it does enable more people to move toward unique passwords for every site, which is a huge improvement over shared passwords across sites.

/Jim

16. Primejimbo, Oct 1, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2014

Primejimbo macrumors 68040

I was happy Apple did this and it's a great basic password keychain, but 1Password is a password manager. When I got iCloud keychain, I was very excited and happy because I was looking at all the password managers out there for a while that thought now I don't need a password manager. The main reason I moved to 1Password was it's so easy to look up a password/login info using the search. Also now I can have secured notes as well, along with all my application/software lincenses in one place. I use iOS 99% of the time and I can't customize passwords in iCloud keychain, in 1Password I can. As the OP also have said, the support is great.

Either way using different passwords for everything is the best way to do things.

That's a great way to compaire a password keychain and an password manager.

17. AGKyle macrumors 6502

Yup, we kind of figured that iCloud Keychain was a really good thing for us. It's a very basic implementation and may handle things for the most basic of tasks, but it's a far far cry from being a full blown password and data manager that 1Password and other tools are. At the very least it makes users more aware that having a password manager type of tool is something they should look into.

Our stance has always been that we'd rather have people using any password manager, even if it isn't our own. It's a far better way to do things than not and we realize we aren't the tool for everyone but the benefits of using any password manager (that's well designed) outnumber not using one.

18. Moria macrumors regular

I work for a bank. Everything needs to be verified. I can say with almost 100% certainty that they will not allow it to be installed. We use Internet Explorer 8 as our main browser and we can't even install Chrome.

19. AGKyle macrumors 6502

That's tough. I'm not sure if we even support IE 8, and I believe Microsoft has ceased support of it... Don't quote me on that but yea, that's a tough situation there.

Sorry :(

20. johnnnw macrumors 65816

johnnnw

My question in a different thread wasn't answered about what if you're on a school computer where you can't install the extension?

You just can't sign into a website because you don't know the massive password? Or a friends phone etc

21. AGKyle macrumors 6502

This comes down to trust.

I wouldn't trust a school computer. If I were in your position I would _not_ use that computer to log into anything. It's possible that someone is monitoring the device or has installed malicious software on it. While it's less likely if they're using something like Citrix to handle everything I still would not trust it.

My general stance on this is: If it's not my computer I should not trust it. If I do not trust it then I shouldn't log into anything important.

Important is defined as: Email, Banking, stores private data, or if compromised would cause me great pain (social sites fall into this). Why email? Well, if you can access my email you can reset passwords on a great deal of other sites and gain access to those sites.

If you opt to not heed my advice on this, if you sync to Dropbox then you can use 1PasswordAnywhere.

https://learn2.agilebits.com/1Password4/iOS/Tutorials/ios-1pa.html

In my case, I always have my iPhone with me. Combine this with a great VPN (I use http://getcloak.com) I can access my data privately from my own trusted device, even on an untrusted wifi network.

I still suggest not trusting any computer that is not your own. You simply don't know what was done to it, installed on it, and the risk is too great.

I hope that helps :) Let me know if you have any questions!

22. flynz4 macrumors 68040

Good advice. I absolutely never, under any circumstances, use a public computer.

Also... I second the suggestion for getcloak.com is you ever use public wifi

/Jim