1Password Question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by udontno, Aug 9, 2014.

1. udontno macrumors regular

udontno

So I downloaded the free trial from the 1Password site before taking the plunge of buying the program. The free trial has run out, but I haven't seen where I've lost any function. I am planning on buying the full version soon, but do I need to worry about losing any sort of data if I don't upgrade ASAP?

I also think I want to buy through the Mac App Store vs. their site (so I'll get all my updates from there, as I do with most of my other programs). If I buy from there, what do I need to do with the existing program on my computer. How do I get the information I have stored there to show up in the new version that will download from the App Store?

Thank you for your help and please go easy on me in your advice... most of this is probably dumb questions. I'm somewhat tech savy but nowhere near the level most of the people are on these forums (hence why I read them and appreciate the information here).

2. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

Once the demo expires the app still works but without full functionality.

Just buy it from the App Store and it should install over the demo version.

3. flynz4 macrumors 68040

Kyle is generally phenomenal about providing support on this forum. I suspect he will respond in 5... 4... 3... 2... 1...

/Jim

4. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

3/4... 1/2... 1/4...

5. dave61 macrumors member

dave61

Don't hesitate

I bought 1Password soon after my first Mac, approx 7 years' ago, and I absolutely love it. Now I have over a thousand records in four vaults (which is an awesome feature) so it is one of the first things that I install on a new computer. My advice is spend the money now.

As the MAS did not exist when I first bought I have stuck with the direct download version. The data is stored in an external file so it does not matter which version you go with. Choose whatever suits you.

6. flynz4 macrumors 68040

It's a weekend... I'll give him some slack. Who knows... maybe he is even on vacation. Based on his years of service here, he deserves a break. ;)

Seriously... when a company cares so much to have an employee working the industry discussion boards, I view that as a heightened awareness as to the need for good customer service.

/Jim

7. TonyK macrumors 6502a

TonyK

1Password, about 2 1/2 years ago, did something that upset a lot of users, me included. They removed WiFi syncing because of skewed statistics and service calls.

There were enough users pushing back on that decision that AgileBits came out pretty quickly with a "hack" to get us up and running with 1Password 4.0 for iOS and then later added in WiFi syncing in 1Password for OS X.

A lot of companies would have told the user base to suck it up and use the provided means for syncing but AgileBits listened, understood where we were coming from and worked with us to get a solution that worked for both users and AgileBits.

In short, GET 1PASSWORD!

8. AGKyle macrumors 6502a

Sorry all, it is the weekend and normally my days off.

As for the question of migration. If you're using the trial then you'll want to follow these instructions if you plan to purchase from the Mac App Store:

http://learn2.agilebits.com/1Password4/Mac/en/FAQs/beta-family.html

It says "beta" to "mac app store" but the beta uses the same files as the trial/website version. So the same rules apply.

Indeed, typically I have weekends off. Popping in since I seen a dozen or so messages from MacRumors in my email :)

Great to hear you're enjoying 1Password :) If there's ever anything we can do to help please let me know!

9. udontno thread starter macrumors regular

udontno

Okay guys I did it! I followed the instructions, got it up and running, and now I am as happy as I can be.

I also noticed it was on sale (YAY!) and the iPad/iPhone app is on sale too so I went ahead and bought those. Now, off to integrate myself into the system.

10. flynz4 macrumors 68040

After the Heartbeed exploit that affected a huge percentage of servers worldwide (all using open SSL)... 1Password provided an unexpected service that blew my socks off.

The general instructions (without 1Password) were to first contact each website where you have an account, inquire if they were affected by heartbleed... and then wait till they fixed the problem, and only then to change your passwords.

1Password provided an invaluable free upgrade that managed all of that for you. It kept a database (auto loaded onto your system) with the status of all affected servers so that 1Password could alert you as soon as it was safe to change your password.

At the time (from memory), I had 303 password records in my database... and a full 1/3 of them were affected by the heartbleed exploit. 1Password completely managed the process for me. I first went in and fix every instance of high priority (example banking, investments, credit cards, etc) immediately as soon as they were flagged. Then I went in and fixed medium security sites (ex: stores that have my credit card information).

There is no question in my mind that 1Password is worth its weight in gold.

/Jim

11. udontno thread starter macrumors regular

udontno

Stories like these make me wonder why I waited so long to get 1Password. I'm glad I'm using it across all my devices now.