1Password Question

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by Squilly, Oct 6, 2014.

1. Squilly macrumors 68020

Squilly

I'm trying to like 1Password, I really am. It's not being forced down my throat or anything but I like the idea of secure passwords. When in Chrome, do passwords autofill if it's saved in the 1Password app? Or do you have to navigate to the 1Password app, use Touch ID, then go back to Chrome, as if it were just a database? Or is it smarter than that?

2. Trebuin macrumors 65816

Trebuin

The iPhone design is limited. You have to do what you said, or use the built in 1password browser. I started using that now for those accounts that I really want secure.

3. AGKyle macrumors 6502a

Not totally correct but close.

We can fill into Safari using our Safari extension. Chrome can also support this but they must explicitly build in support for 1Password using our App Extension:

https://github.com/AgileBits/onepassword-app-extension

I don't use Chrome myself, and Safari works extremely well in my use. However, if you're a Chrome user you can send in a suggestion to Google to see if they'll build in support for it. It shouldn't take them more than a few hours, and in fact many developers who have contacted us after adding support said it took them a matter of minutes.

For browsers that do not support 1Password's extension then yes, you would need to copy and paste from the application to do what you ask.

4. MacTCE macrumors 6502

MacTCE

I have to totally agree with Kyle on this one. 1Password works perfectly with Safari. I too am a Chrome user so for now all though it's not optimal I switch back and forth just for his functionality. I hope Google natively builds this into Chrome soon including the ability for all extensions.

5. Trebuin macrumors 65816

Trebuin

You are referring to iOS Safari? I'll have to look at that feature but I think I'll stick with the built in browser, especially with how well the favorite feature works.

6. AGKyle macrumors 6502a

7. JoEw macrumors 68000

JoEw

Use it everyday, works great and touchid makes it seamless and more secure.

8. MacTCE macrumors 6502

MacTCE

Correct, with iOS Safari you can open up the Share panel and import passwords directly using the 1Password extension (as long as you configured it) and it works flawlessly.

9. Trebuin macrumors 65816

Trebuin

Well don't I feel silly now...Thanks for pointing out this feature guys.
    +1 for 1password

10. Squilly thread starter macrumors 68020

Squilly

So to Autofill in Safari, you still need to use Touch ID? Or is it automatic once the extension is installed in Safari?

11. geoffm33 macrumors 6502

geoffm33

You have to use TouchID to open the vault, then select the login entry.

12. MacTCE macrumors 6502

MacTCE

I normally to site in iOS Safari, click the Share Panel button, select 1Password, use TouchID, and 1Password automagically imports the username and password.

13. lankox macrumors regular

Why not just use the built-in autofill from keychain??

14. MacTCE macrumors 6502

MacTCE

It's a security thing for me. I don't store any of my passwords in Chrome or Safari. To be honest once Chrome builds in the 1Password extension I won't be using Safari at all.

15. Squilly thread starter macrumors 68020

Squilly

^ This. I really want it on Chrome as I never touch Safari. AFAIK, Chrome doesn't have mobile extensions available yet.

16. TheSacredSoul macrumors 6502a

Whenever I use the 1Password extention in Safari, my master password is asked. Even though I have touch ID enabled. Anyone know the issue?

17. AGKyle macrumors 6502a

Do you have TouchID enabled in 1Password's Preferences? This seems to be the most common issue with TouchID in 1Password right now. You have to enable it there under 1Password->Settings->Security. It's not enough to have TouchID enabled on your device.

Let me know if that helps get things going.

18. TheSacredSoul macrumors 6502a

Yup, it is enabled both in app and settings.

19. MacTCE macrumors 6502

MacTCE

There's also a setting in the 1Password app on the frequency it'll ask for your master password. I personally have mine set to 30 days. Maybe check that.

20. AGKyle macrumors 6502a

That would be a good thing to check, but probably not the issue since we revamped the settings in version 5.1.

By chance have you not updated to 5.1? Highly recommend doing that before proceeding if you haven't already done so.

21. MacTCE macrumors 6502

MacTCE

By chance have you not updated to 5.1? Highly recommend doing that before proceeding if you haven't already done so.[/QUOTE]

That was going to be next suggestion. :D

22. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

It's a little early to say for sure. but I really like the behavior now in 5.1.
    The way it should be!

Apple needs to release a TouchID keyboard for home use :(

23. AGKyle macrumors 6502a

:metal: :)

(Sad I can't find an actual image to add here for that emoji)

24. dyn macrumors 68030

Because that one stores its data in the cloud and is iOS-OS X only. 1Password is for iOS, OS X, Windows and Android. It also stores its data locally but you can opt to store it in your Dropbox or iCloud (wish you could store it on OneDrive or ones own WebDAV server too).