1Password questions

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by susanlinda, Aug 14, 2009.

1. susanlinda macrumors newbie

Can anyone tell me whether my bank and credit card numbers are totally safe with 1Password? Also, what happens if your computer crashes and you've put all unique passwords on your logins? And third, can you change your Masterkey?
    Thanks so much.

2. susanlinda thread starter macrumors newbie

1Password

I've figured out how to change the Master Key, but if someone could answer the other two questions I would be deeply appreciative.

3. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

If your computer crashes, and you don't have a backup of the 1password keychain, then you will have to use the password reset function of the accounts you have the unique passwords for.

As far as being completely secure ... it is stored as an encrypted file on your Mac, and is only as secure as the master password.

4. susanlinda thread starter macrumors newbie

1Password

Thanks for the quick reply. I think my Master Key password is very secure. How can I back up the 1Password keychain?

5. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

6. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

They're safer in 1Password than they are every time you enter them in an online banking site or online checkout.

7. susanlinda thread starter macrumors newbie

1Password

Thanks for all the answers. As far as the backup is concerned, and I hate to sound stupid, but do you mean file within the 1Password app? That puts the backup into your computer, but if your computer crashes, don't the backups crash too?

8. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Yes, within the app.

You can put the backup wherever you want. External HD, thumb drive, online storage site.